Car Camping Stove

fredgoodsell

Adventurer
I'm about in the same phase - looking for a camp stove.

My main dilemma is white gas, which can be bought in bulk virtually anywhere, and the propane gas models that use the wasteful, non-refillable cans.

I hate the thought of disposing of the cans, but really don't want to transport opened-half full containers of white gas inside the car, either.

Any thoughts?

Something like this will allow you to use a regular bulk propane tank with appliances that have the connection for the small 1# disposable tanks. I have a small 5# tank that does the trick!
http://www.campchef.com/stoves/add-ons-accessories/bulk-tank-hose-adapter.html

Accrete

Explorer
This reply is based on my wife's and my adventures utilizing our van conversion and an outdoor camp kitchen area, we most always find the weather is from ~45F to 75F and our camp elevation range from sea level to about 3K ft.

If I simply want a quick kettle boil I will do so on an easy to use Iwatani Butane canister stove.

BUT, when cooking we use a multifuel stove by Optimus called the Polaris.

This upcoming season I will be using primarily white gas / camp fuel in the Polaris, but it is nice to know I can crab some regular gas out of the jerry can if needed too.

Thom

dstock

Explorer

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Having tried, and replaced, cheap stoves; I settled on the trusty rusty, old, green Coleman propane two burner powered by a 10 pound tank regulator and hose.
I have found way too many one pound disposable tanks that refused to seal once removed to ever consider even thinking about refilling them.

We typically camp near tree line and have never had problems with propane, or butane lighters for that mater.
Given my druthers though I prefer cooking on a grill, either stationary or hand held (clamshell with a handle) over the campfire coals.

For a, now relatively rare, packing trip or a quick pot of coffee, the old extremely reliable Svea 123R is brought into service (white gas).
Enjoy!

OCD Overland

Explorer

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I don't know if you were responding to my post, but I'm referring to these stoves, which are butane - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Again, super cheap, as is the fuel, and actually we've found them to be reliable and abuse-resistant. But I wouldn't recommend them for windy conditions or temps below 40. Or in other words, camping.

I've had no problems with my Butane stove down to low 30's, but haven't tried beyond that. As for windy conditions, I picked up a folding aluminum windscreen at my local asian market for $7. Looks a lot like this one and came with a little plastic case.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
I'm about in the same phase - looking for a camp stove.

My main dilemma is white gas, which can be bought in bulk virtually anywhere, and the propane gas models that use the wasteful, non-refillable cans.

I hate the thought of disposing of the cans, but really don't want to transport opened-half full containers of white gas inside the car, either.

Any thoughts?

buy one of these and stop throwing the green propane bottles away.

http://www.amazon.com/Heater-PROPANE-TANK-REFILL-ADAPTER/dp/B000AMC5WO

OCD Overland

Explorer
I've had no problems with my Butane stove down to low 30's, but haven't tried beyond that. As for windy conditions, I picked up a folding aluminum windscreen at my local asian market for $7. Looks a lot like this one and came with a little plastic case.
Yeah, we have some of those and they help, but at least with our stoves, the flame is too fine on low and the slightest breeze puts them out. So you have to leave them on high. It could be the brand of stove, or their age - I think we got those things 15+ years ago for something I can't even remember and they sat in the attic unused for years.

Ours work at low temps, but only with full bottles. If the canister is halfway used or more, the butane starts to ice up. Figuratively, of course, though it does feel like that when you slosh them around. I think the butane stops vaporizing around 30° and it's easy for the canister to reach that temp when in use, even if it's warmer outside.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The other solution with butane is to keep a canister somewhere in the passenger cabin until ready to use. Once operating, the stove self-warms the canister a bit, so you just need to get it lit.

thefishhawk

Adventurer
Did I also mention that I don't want a propane tank hanging off of the outside of the car?

I've been looking for a 5 pound horizontal tank that I can fit in the drawers of my sleeping platform.

But, all things considered, I'm now leaning towards multi-fuel.

you just said you don't like throwing away disposable bottles, this refills the "disposable" bottles. You just do it at home, guess I'm confused about the hanging off the car.

geo.greg

Observer
personally i like my coleman that ive had for 10 years.
was at a garage sale the other day and bough a second one.
dont know why i did as the first one is still working like the day i got it. other than the price was right.
http://www.coleman.com/product/9921A750#.VpVsufkrJpg
it has a grill on one side and a stove on the other. so bbq burgers steaks or dogs and boil water for pasta.
colemen.jpg
the long burner on the left works really good under a rectangle skillet for things like bacon or pancakes.
recently coleman has made a new version that has knobs on each of the sides and looks a bit thinner and a tad more modern. (havent seen or tried)

Retired Tanker

Explorer
you just said you don't like throwing away disposable bottles, this refills the "disposable" bottles. You just do it at home, guess I'm confused about the hanging off the car.

OH!! Got it. Well, it was just the fitting, so I thought it was just an adapter for a larger tank. Maybe I didn't look close enough.

Well, that wouldn't be so bad. I guess there's no safety issues with refilling the small tanks?

Retired Tanker

Explorer
personally i like my coleman that ive had for 10 years.
was at a garage sale the other day and bough a second one.
dont know why i did as the first one is still working like the day i got it.
...snip...
the long burner on the left works really good under a rectangle skillet for things like bacon or pancakes.
recently coleman has made a new version that has knobs on each of the sides and looks a bit thinner and a tad more modern. (havent seen or tried)

It looks like that one is no longer made, but I found one similar to it: http://www.cabelas.com/product/cole...80&categoryIds=104795280|581015880|104246280|

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad