Car Camping Stove

thefishhawk

Adventurer
OH!! Got it. Well, it was just the fitting, so I thought it was just an adapter for a larger tank. Maybe I didn't look close enough.

Well, that wouldn't be so bad. I guess there's no safety issues with refilling the small tanks?

So, the adapter screws into your 20lb'er and you flip it over and attach the 1lb'er and open the valve and it back flows to the "disposable" bottle. pretty easy. You won't get it as full as it came from the store but at a fraction of the cost who cares. I've been refilling the same two bottles for years and years, no issues. I don't see carrying white gas around as an issue either. Not like people haven't been hauling it around on their backs or their cars for 80 years.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I love me some white gas. I collect old Coleman lanterns and every now and then I'll pick up a stove as well (in the Coleman collecting world, people who collect stove are "Stovies" and are thought of as a little bit odd.) Cruise your local garage sales in Summer time, or look on Craigslist and you can pick up a barely used Coleman white gas stove for a song. I paid $5 for a near-new 413H from about 1972 (Coleman products normally have the month and year of production on the bottom.) Also $5 for a white gas lantern with a case (a 288, pretty run-of-the mill but it works fine.)
For camping with the trailer, though, I wimp out an use propane. It's just easier and less messy. Since we have a 20lb propane tank on the trailer I always carry an adapter that lets me use my Camp Chef propane stove on the 20lb tank, but we carry the little 1lb disposable bottles too.
One thing I like about white gas is that in terms of how much energy you can carry in a small space, it beats propane gas by a wide margin. A week-long trip where I'm cooking breakfast and dinner normally takes at least 2 full 1lb propane tanks. But a small 1 liter bottle of white gas will be more than enough fuel for a liquid gas stove (especially if I fill the tank of the stove before I leave.)
I hate the smell of white gas, though, it gives me a headache so if I carry a white gas stove it goes on the roof.
As for modern Propane stoves, I presume they're all made in the same cheap Chinese factory, so just get whichever one appeals to you and fits your budget and figure that if you get a couple of years out of it you're doing good.

dirtlimo

Observer
If there's an REI or something nearby, go check out a few different ones, the camp chef was tinnier in real life then I expected. I ended up going with the Partner Steel Cook Partner because it's just completely rock solid, but it's also twice the price. The Primus red stove looked and felt like it was better made than the camp chef to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May I ask what gas you use with the PS? I have looked at their website and I know I'm not the brightest igniter on the planet, but I cannot find that info anywhere. Thanks!

Accrete

Explorer
The other solution with butane is to keep a canister somewhere in the passenger cabin until ready to use. Once operating, the stove self-warms the canister a bit, so you just need to get it lit.
: ) What Herbie said.
Sometimes when we know the morning temps are going to be in the 30s we will put a butane canister close to the bed side to keep it above ambient since it is my goto heat source to boil a quick morning pot of water.

...I hate the thought of disposing of the cans, but really don't want to transport opened-half full containers of white gas inside the car, either...
When we buy a gallon of white gas we go ahead and fill a couple litre bottles. I then put those bottles into a small ammo can. No smells that I've noticed. I also put the .4L bottle and Polaris stove in an even smaller ammo box. All safe and cozy.

: ) Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad