Carrying extra fuel

Robert Bills

Explorer
Made brackets for the propane tank for the top of the roof rack. Photo bucket shots.

That is extremely dangerous. 20# propane tanks should NEVER be stored or carried horizontally.

See this website: http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderstorage.htm

From that site:

Propane cylinders should always be positioned so that their relief valve is in direct communication with the vapor space of the container. Cylinders that are stored vertically upright will have the relief valve communicating with vapor space. Regarding the cylinder relief valve, it is important to keep the safety relief valve pointed away from anything that escaping propane could come in contact with possibly causing a fire or accident. If cylinders are stored improperly, such as on their side with the relief valve in contact with propane liquid and the safety relief valve opens for any reason, liquid will be escaping instead of vapor posing a much greater danger. In short, be sure the relief valve is communicating with the vapor space of the tank. All consumer propane cylinders should be stored vertically upright in all circumstances.

Improper Propane Cylinder StorageThe picture below depicts unsafe position of cylinder while in storage. The . . . picture assumes that the 20 lb. cylinder has a little over 50% propane. Even with the tank around half full, the liquid inside is above the level of the safety relief valve. The relief valve needs to be in communication with the vapor space of the cylinder in case it opens. For this reason, consumer propane cylinders such as this should be stored in an upright position. . . .

lpg-cyl-liquid-level.jpg

From https://www.oswaldcompanies.com/blo...liant-know-the-safety-regulations-of-propane/:
Always use and store cylinders in the proper orientation (vertical for gas grill cylinders). Forklift Cylinders can be used/stored either vertically or horizontally but when horizontal, the relief device must be located at the 12 o’clock position.

It is obvious from your photograph that you put a lot of work into the bracket, but it is unsafe and should not be used.

krick3tt

Adventurer
Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I can use the brackets for something else. Actually it is a 10 lb cylinder, but never mind that. Apparently it is not a good idea, sooooooo.

If the relief valve is pointing up (12 o'clock) position it would (be safer) and would work?

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
Thanks for the tip. Perhaps I can use the brackets for something else. Actually it is a 10 lb cylinder, but never mind that. Apparently it is not a good idea, sooooooo.

If the relief valve is pointing up (12 o'clock) position it would (be safer) and would work?

I mistook your 10# tank for a 20#, but my point stands, a vertical propane tank should never be stored horizontally even if the relief valve is in the 12 o'clock position. If one refers to the photograph of the 20# tank at http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderstorage.htm, it can be seen that the relief valve would still be in contact with liquid propane with the tank 1/2 full even if the relief valve is in the 12o'clock position.

lpg-cyl-liquid-level.jpg

Perhaps you can use the brackets for something else, perhaps a CO2 tank for refilling tires? Water tank for an onboard shower?

Kerensky97

Xterra101
That is extremely dangerous. 20# propane tanks should NEVER be stored or carried horizontally.
Or just get a propane tank that is built to be used horizontally. Google "horizontal propane tank" and many come up. Finding a small one is the toughest part, and it's not going to be cheap as few people need horizontal tanks so the demand is low.
Maybe you could get lucky getting a slightly used one off a propane forklift (but I think they're 30 lbs).

Robert Bills

Explorer
You could get lucky and find a used Manchester 11# A.S.M.E. horizontal propane tank, but they have become extremely rare. I have one on the front of my Bantam trailer, but it took several years for me to find it.

HPIM0134.JPG

krick3tt

Adventurer
My thanks to all that responded...especially those that are concerned with safety...mine and others that may be near me.
I found a short fat one on Amazon that has the valve in the vertical position so no more issues with that. Free shipping as well.

I now have horizontal brackets for sale for anyone that might have use for them. I will make a new support for the vertical tank to come.
Brackets are $30 and you pay shipping, they are very light.

Happy trails
Morris

B

BPD53

Extra fuel.....no problem. Aux fuel cell!

I hate stopping for fuel. I can drive and fuel at the same time. It's kinda hard to see, but the fuel cell is diamond plate aluminum with a basic fuel pump that feeds into the fuel filler neck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 58

MOguy

Explorer
I have carried fuel inside vehicles for almost 30 years as a Soldier and now as a civilian. I have always used scepter MFC and never had an issue with leaks or fumes. As long as the cans are used correctly and in good repair you won't have issues with them. I even called DOT information and they said there is no issue doing this. They only monitor commercial transport of fuel.

I would never carry fuel on the roof but the OP has larger vehiclle.

mizedog

Observer
Yeah, there's jack squat for my vehicle. Hell, the lift kit I'm using only only exists because the guy that makes them had enough requests to make them. Any aftermarket bumpers you see on 3rd gen Explorers are either custom made or adapted to fit. I was looking for such a solution with the idea that it'd be hazardous to carry fuel in the cabin but if NATO cans will allow me to do so without filling the interior with fumes I'd rather go that route.
I used to drive a 91 Trooper, so I know how you feel. Give Quinn a call at All J Products in Big Bear. He started out making custom rear tire carriers and made a great one fit my CJ that carried two NATO cans, Hilift, and basket. I bet he could design one to meet your needs.

Sent from my RCT6672W23 using Tapatalk

mizedog

Observer
I used to drive a 91 Trooper, so I know how you feel. Give Quinn a call at All J Products in Big Bear. He started out making custom rear tire carriers and made a great one fit my CJ that carried two NATO cans, Hilift, and basket. I bet he could design one to meet your needs.

Quinn actually is the fabricator of trailer frames and other parts on a well known Australian type trailer...

danfromsyr

Adventurer
Nope, you can carry and use those horizontally as you wish.

for those seeking horizontal tanks, they're out there. many people remove them for (sometimes irrational) fears from their VW westfalia campers. new ones are also available in 3gal or 7gal configurations. the VW ones are THICK not thin like a BBQ tank and the valves are replaceable. easy to sand and repaint.
Speaking of horizontal propane tanks - I carry three 1lb (green) propane tanks in horizontal position, and even use them horizontally, too. Does the same hazard-issue described above apply to these tanks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven