Carrying extra fuel

JBThompson

Adventurer
I'm not sure about the CARB compliance. I don't live in Cali but I will be travelling to NorCal so perhaps I should take that into consideration. If I get cans that won't leak I can make room inside the cabin area no problem. Our second row seat is split into 3 sections so we can just pull one of the outer seats and add some D rings to strap the cans down.

Trophycummins

Adventurer
CARB cans suck, and from my observation, the majority of us in cali dont use them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I've used RotoPax cans on the roof, they're pricey but worth it. No leaks even with 60+ degree temp changes (40's to over 100) and much bouncing around. I don't use the RotoPax carriers, either, I just run a ratchet strap through the hole in the middle and cinch it down tight. Never leaked a drop.
The CARB spouts suck though, so I just use the non-CARB filler from my cheapo 5 gallon blitz can, works fine.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I use NATO cans exclusively. Used to carry 4 inside with the Pinzgauer and one in the stock under the body location.
Now I have an LR3 and carry 4 up top on the roof rack for long trips and 2 5 gal Septer cans of water. Even in CA I never used the CARB cans ... they leak no matter where they are. Rotopak system is too expensive at $100 for 20% less petrol, plus you need their system to carry them and they are plastic...not going to put petrol in plastic.
When I did lots of long distance travel I used a trailer that held all the camping stuff and 8 NATO cans. Could go almost 800 miles on what I carried.
In CA I painted 2 of the cans red on the outside of the trailer to hopefully conform a bit, never was a problem with the OD color cans and the Pinzgauer. They are still OD on the LR. Get the genuine original NATO cans not the Chinese knockoffs.

Last edited:

outback97

Adventurer
I've used RotoPax cans on the roof, they're pricey but worth it. No leaks even with 60+ degree temp changes (40's to over 100) and much bouncing around. I don't use the RotoPax carriers, either, I just run a ratchet strap through the hole in the middle and cinch it down tight. Never leaked a drop.
The CARB spouts suck though, so I just use the non-CARB filler from my cheapo 5 gallon blitz can, works fine.

I use NATO cans exclusively. Used to carry 4 inside with the Pinzgauer and one in the stock under the body location.
Now I have an LR3 and carry 4 up top on the roof rack for long trips and 2 5 gal Septer cans of water. Even in CA I never used the CARB cans ... they leak no matter where they are. Rotopak system is too expensive at $100 for 20% less petrol, plus you need their system to carry them and they are plastic...not going to put petrol in plastic.
When I did lots of long distance travel I used a trailer that held all the camping stuff and 8 NATO cans. Could go almost 800 miles on what I carried.
In CA I painted 2 of the cans red on the outside of the trailer to hopefully conform a bit, never was a problem with the OD color cans and the Pinzgauer. They are still OD on the LR. Get the genuine original NATO cans not the Chinese knockoffs.

Rotopax are expensive, I purchased some blemished ones for 1/2 price though, so for me it was a good deal. I like how low profile they are.

No need to use their mounting system though. You can come up with something for much less money that works quite well, as Martinjmpr mentioned above, or something like this.

JBThompson

Adventurer
That's a pretty nifty setup, outback97. I think I'm gonna be going with the NATO cans for our rig, since they're about as leakproof as it gets it just seems like the easier solution. I looked up the dimensions for the 20L cans and I'm pretty certain I can fit two of them on the floor if I pull one of the outer rear seats. I can even use the seat mounting bolts to secure some rings for rattchet straps. That's for sure be the cheapest way to go and it's otherwise wasted space since it'll just be the two of us.

Thanks for the insight, fellas. Much appreciated.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure about the CARB compliance. I don't live in Cali but I will be travelling to NorCal so perhaps I should take that into consideration. If I get cans that won't leak I can make room inside the cabin area no problem. Our second row seat is split into 3 sections so we can just pull one of the outer seats and add some D rings to strap the cans down.

Astronomically unlikely you'd get harassed for non-CARB cans on the road in CA.

rayra

Expedition Leader
...not going to put petrol in plastic.
Why not? The military has been using plastic for decades without trouble. The milspec MFC is a sturdy thing (Scepter plastic cans are one vendor's expression of that milspec design). They were already long in use when I was in almost 30yrs ago.

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's a pretty nifty setup, outback97. I think I'm gonna be going with the NATO cans for our rig, since they're about as leakproof as it gets it just seems like the easier solution. I looked up the dimensions for the 20L cans and I'm pretty certain I can fit two of them on the floor if I pull one of the outer rear seats. I can even use the seat mounting bolts to secure some rings for rattchet straps. That's for sure be the cheapest way to go and it's otherwise wasted space since it'll just be the two of us.

Thanks for the insight, fellas. Much appreciated.

here's a little thing I built ~18mos ago that might be useful to you -

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/135929-Jerry-Can-MWC-MFC-stowage-box-build

jerrybox11_zpsf131ccda.jpg
jerrybox04_zpsae404c86.jpg

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Back to the original topic. Some aftermarket bumpers include a tire/fuel can carrier, see if you can find on and carry the cans on the back.
Basically you swing out the tire carrier then open the lift hatch.

Last edited:

JBThompson

Adventurer
Yeah, there's jack squat for my vehicle. Hell, the lift kit I'm using only only exists because the guy that makes them had enough requests to make them. Any aftermarket bumpers you see on 3rd gen Explorers are either custom made or adapted to fit. I was looking for such a solution with the idea that it'd be hazardous to carry fuel in the cabin but if NATO cans will allow me to do so without filling the interior with fumes I'd rather go that route.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here's the hitch carrier I was talking about.

harborfreighthitchrack_zpscfwyjdrx.jpg

And the NATO spec cans - metal or plastic - don't leak if they are in proper condition. There's no fumes. Same is true of the new Scepter 'civilian' / CARB HDPE cans, ~$15 at Costco, ~$28 anywhere else. Much thicker plastic than other 'civilian' market plastic cans. About 2/3 as thick (by weight) as an MFC. And deliberately NOT the same / compatible dimensions, unfortunately.

If you go the custom build route better determine which cans you want to use and have them in hand beforehand to ensure a proper fit.

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
I built this out of one of those $50 harbor freight racks. Sawsall + drill, re-used all of the bolts it came with, and voila. Granted, I have to take it down every time I need tailgate access, but that 5 minute chore is one of the perks of only spending $50 on your gear...

I also heard that the guys at roverparts.com sell beautiful real-deal jerry cans for reasonable prices.

8ZFsu4r7JqulI8E34cDODwPoltHnXTwLHjpvX_BZSMbJxWPViKflOsg6wioxiD06Bop0ZknPTfNG48aVwoqjzckd3oIS866X_7vkvY6s0iBMrBsQAwL_V088WLAkxvs9qKpq6MRIUH_y5rqCJ9earuMD_c9c4wrqngD3E32L3BmmfgphVGKJNP0aOr68ReiyRbDpQ4SBJAgPKu4lIFT14hSod5DVQDe8EWsCNqugRT7uzW5ygKqRiF3NZxzxp_KR2x9T-2VAKG8GfGnT7lu9-4zcn-ZCwPVVdOcJep85olHIvuNk_VC41P3uUfSA4iLIpASsGoxlfIbvuDgH9nFEepoJ-KTGMkLFEHnbWVFw_nu0fw228feA6p4pbFTqv1Ec9Lnb4KV704pbkTjkuAYwzRyNki7MyNwvNUCl2_eKlXteGtRl-hIA9rS_M6uzsNuSK_olimS3H0l9W2nk8dz0h40VX7o06UFdjfb4gKHtHnUOpg9OmnyjuuaSyElfqYn0h2x-PEGuaMl48Q8Npwh4EqiXtDrS5hfFPPt3ZxOf27zWsXllgNwVTQaYxYOzQWN2QGwrOX8YfigAoXyf5YiATgjQLmUzoAXv=w830-h467-no

ZLqLv1ZgmizTWgphl2ebQJnRttqxUZSPG_kUEMsyfPaBYoVNA_XXxkcHNu1su11gtgOL98Eg9PzEzyptC8OnxWq5VlFrFanFAHBpskHRtKmD2rMsxF3EfBzxt9MZLRTRbbcKeGmQj-Mett7REQLv9M77kSAzwFDl6L31ftvqIHQNy4Tiafg8So2AIIdAznFH3r4nnF8p8GgNK5mYja8r3lOoeC7zd4U5vHiTSH7-GAp_tJ1THtYS57VQ2GTT-S_1FqhbN4GOBvt-cBQz_nzUHUgba8Q9nX3UgEAOMcucAe-2RW4dzKjCUK0gh8tDwG_-by021LdOFMSLe63NRuL4x-YfLO8CzX8dudIvpyGlN-0c-CkO1-tiSp99AVrB-_i75tia_7W0Y4WqadVTqKPnCWN1YfUVltdbqIqphTltgVExMw85Y3VHZz3FNzqSH3nRax_MshQAL5AuAFKZ9bfXIUkYKa50Q0DRSl-sCxd1DeObzDnz3uwSsjdWUydaLOEK1hHGEumjGDF1pqZsMndRIiDgP4N8QLGjjrtAEzSQX8KChaBJB9_liZvxt4jrz52VdqvlsIyOaqGj19ogvTIdCSbnlpgMZMP5=w816-h459-no

kKpqa-DEAkVFQu-hEYca72Zs9_6C514DpVZfA-uUaJWknGlQinz4MpS-7JYDKetPznFyazkmCSmpTrc-cNBUBdZUF5EEz1GBk0IG4UFNHzR7_vwca_Xe6r0Y6ArgJTnSbFOhCUDMmTwcBz-WyB05i_kDpZ9v30HbM0kbQjaq127bftkE0kpc88boFYF20fFj3_C9pikqztSjwNBNSJwZEG2bzQXlIOIHfSSHyxAJQEais66TluUXFB3gpeCU83NdZSlx9r1qCbEt_LAi2iOBqprjvg9_NVBaD0ywS8JC9VpQAY7fmQmPGQgiGdguT7EC36jEixWYN-SmgxrdraVrYZ_z4lg1XlgPxomb-oohjvVk3YeLqRbf604PJbKSkmZXSAi2tHknKhNyAjofmXbVXZX7nzuVQq3YoTru9RenlJI_2nNLslbF3cP4arcAk58cwl2ksb_N8go9pL1FmLbtbYWZuYvFULfAmWm3vduIG2SAsthlpmQ7N2pD3FmOw1KkVNIaDxcmQIrRwwHayAnLVUgl9fRmccwx9cHCFCuUBZxlfXbmNXsODHmrYl90sM8SWV5xL1ZhTh_jOBs8Hzry9O9EN77vZ3oI=w747-h560-no

Robert Bills

Explorer
When I had my CJ-7 I had a dual swing out carrier in the rear that held the spare tire on one side and three 5-gal. jerry cans on the other. I would typically carry 1 fuel + 2 water cans, but realized that 95% of the time the water in the second can would never be used. Similarly, when I carried 2 fuel cans and 1 water can, there was only one occasion when I needed to use the fuel in the second jerry can which I could have easily avoided by not passing up an opportunity to refuel. Eventually I came to the conclusion that being able to carry 15 gallons in fuel and/or water afforded peace of mind that I would not run out, but the reality was that I only needed one fuel can and one water can unless I was on a long distance trip in an undeveloped area.

A bit hard to see, but shown here:

P5KVBIzwJOuorGD4Ri-Im_Gwba57E6gMrZs2Lpqm9aeBZ81AlqMj5tjoUbVDAvFS3JMqqhNTVSpOAkl52aTylUPdkJZQK0iCM0iboH_s4httJh8ipVVxvqy1RYwK1yMaKZ5mTO-oPqAJe-xToqUixHTtsMKxaOkmYbKRH-QbO_i_xw3osDgOeWOqCos2pUFOE-6PUZ2Y3-BUs3qySf_8ol_HqLVEvGb6d63_lDr-PQfi05e_AFuDQ7TMAzdWWjraSytEK3agyIrc-F2fWey2D1gb5W18ZbkrqB_CWR4AeQiB2GvGxTfLyW-5SSWq8QvBiq67cqEDds-LRefwittgZqtoyvwNKUJd8MQxCxVk5NRWAbMRHWyORr5ZiyzBFko3Rb0ASz2uHOre67jeuOyzJHA0mxcDTx_l9wpNAyM8JnFfPdc9jzy4seMqIN36vfCZczmvmdjpgiE6UKRhUfMBTDBB7_TY4hpJ45m_wUHLsL-06jQJAwTfLWouo4u_o_8AESAdGgP5bFa_cWhAdpthyoU02-JU4jsHtzDwZd0vAVenWsJ3rNcBCBV0TUvPLJHzK_bZI7cufrBsZT8p5wty7P9qzdXA1N8=w640-h426-no

Fast forward to now. My needs have changed and I now offroad in a Nissan Xterra. Interior space is too valuable to be taken up with fuel and water containers, and standard jerry cans (Blitz, NATO, Scepter, etc.) are tough to mount outside without a custom bumper and carrier. Jerry cans are also too wide for 2 to be laid flat side to side on my roof rack, and I don't want to deal with height/clearance issues presented by carrying them on the roof rack upright or on edge.

My solution has been to use Rotopax fuel and water containers, securely mounted to the roof rack. [2 ea. 2-gal. fuel + 2 ea. 2-gal. water.] I carry an additional Rotopax 2-gal. water container in the rear of my truck rigged with a siphon faucet for the convenience of running water for cooking, wash up, etc. I have never run out of water with this set up (6 gal. total), nor have I run out of fuel with 4 gals. available in the Rotopax containers. My Rotopax containers have never leaked, and the 2 ga. size is easy to handle. One 2-gal. gas can is about 13 lb.s filled; one water can is a bit over 17 lbs. filled; total weight for the 4 on the roof rack is about 60 lbs.

My current arrangement:

bU5lVjtUNxIKR3HEA_PSO-HRbaRHODPlJjzqDI7zZe8PQe_tn_9XYVhAxf05I7A2ZspCbO9PQeGMOz29VHnsNPB51MTlyL_GFNc4lfupG478lVD0BVWveJYCnzBPqs1Sp09q2ITWw4NLsGuxQ3ryYhP5m36BjO49U-qyEjRhWKMkxQm6zWlz8nxg9JuBAOnalJDLgM7MOMItWH7a-hl4v-c7_5etkOi3mzqKJ2orj8hIvE7WznUdbuTXmM7WvGhqOM7HsZjgEXKSK7QfFf5ynw_nt8PCQ0xb3LjoV3H6FggV5gsq03AfHFUrZ5QV1GFHy23IHd9-OEb0EN8fq0U6k7p4KYBkABmmkinOX_I8s8_JkiodDqzk1BIQSw7cWEABVi1zfU_mD7ZhDq9Aa_waY7ATcPkwZ34HMw0Nb4-0SQepH0S0--bWz3fh2V9BhGBSwsTHwgLTD6dLv28J7IhqGUeAwAiE8PUw2tkgZAaxMSJNXQ7VyTg9u52aur-tVrImLAF7VLNozgOHlpOgFhUwcevhgMUhFmbCkPxHoaAvjLbAXLm_71CXocF3w7e8AWJjqG7_9S3NWXvHssU3kf9ZUGcyIZRYSiY=w890-h667-no

5lf7Ot1Pgxp8YUKvW8Pulzi7q7r9jfVWKaiGthDNdGX3rmlelTlean-hh94BPfVibCxRdH4ySxPqjmA0JP-q5Hxpm6QVIIDql_6Czbgh_8RcvgOsPhUmyWmS0SuOkH6kmDZQukwvQLhs65hXQ79VCqqjTyrZ9ykK7lZScyflydu7nATG2hdpCoLJsWe1R_RTkXvA8TB1rbPKa7beb1GRvXcoZK99PrvYbYo2HtsKnTGb5NFq2RcLFXPW_7xrpep8e2wyuwatbydnqVdVJw2nvN73WzsTW3e8abJpqwYXMgFRYwhqLRYVoOk4CxWYrD5tgE_SR8UUKCkXhxm0whZlla7ZFG56NXWaI9k8-lBoReJmVWKYkBp1nrTXljbpIXlov4dlQzbjXlFlayLqnfaVq_mf8EPISEvH_wpBj6zLKqGK9Ke2lkxGHo-OFD5J_vaP3rhLDXCNepohs1IV8LaHqW_WW_TKeSZxpKaPPW8VUx7h9c0r2h_SrDdB6ufJvLlR-9Wyw56ktjCKr8Tn2W4W3TrOnDaQnvrjF2ocnJyQVsgMlipyqjeTQHlf-jnghE_07fk_YRCVVGce6srN1CZvt7Aw5IiGKnw=w823-h633-no

Trophycummins

Adventurer
Astronomically unlikely you'd get harassed for non-CARB cans on the road in CA.

On the road? Maybe not. People that enforce OHV laws, you bet your ***. They all know we all use non compliant cans, but it takes the one ******** ranger/sheriff you come across you make you pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven