Chasingdreams Trailer Build

chasingdreams

Adventurer
I've been jammed up with work but I finished up the wiring and the fuel can/propane rack. Today I drug it down a few blocks to the scale and the dry weight came in at 1680 lbs.:victory::victory:

Tomorrow I should be able to get the awning brackets ordered up with Martyn at AT. I will also try and get the tires ordered up tomorrow (Still haven't 100% made up my mind on tire size....time to poop or get off the pot). My awning and RTT should be here by the end of the month. Memorial weekend is closing in fast!

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 157.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 157.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 141

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Been busy with work but here is some of the laundry list that I got finished up

-Tires and wheels mounted
-Fuel and propane rack fabricated and mounted
-Rear stabilizers fabricated and mounted
-Rubber interior mat
-Removable mud flaps for the jeep (The trip across town to get the tires proved to me that the mud flaps are very much needed. Less than 5 miles and several rock chips later:mad:)

On to some pictures....:wings:

chasingdreams

Adventurer

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 159.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 159.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Expedition Trailer 163.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 163.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Expedition Trailer 164.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 164.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Expedition Trailer 166.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 166.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Expedition Trailer 167.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 167.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Expedition Trailer 168.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 168.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Expedition Trailer 170.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 170.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Expedition Trailer 169.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 169.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 124

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Interesting timing about the mud flaps - I just got a speeding ticket yesterday and the cop gave me a warning about not having flaps on my XJ.

I can't tell in your pics - how do you access the jerry cans in that cage?
It must be hinged somewhere right?

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Interesting timing about the mud flaps - I just got a speeding ticket yesterday and the cop gave me a warning about not having flaps on my XJ.

I can't tell in your pics - how do you access the jerry cans in that cage?
It must be hinged somewhere right?

The jerry cans are accessed by the basket on top is mounted to a piano hinge. Here are some pics regarding the jerry can holder....

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 171.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 171.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 76
  • Expedition Trailer 173.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 173.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Expedition Trailer 175.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 175.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 62

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Thanks for those close-ups.
I really like the dual-purpose jerry can cage + storage rack idea, I may incorporate that into mine as well, but it will be a rack on top of the spare tires. I'm planning on putting the jerries on the rear corners of the trailer.

By the way, your trailer is by far the closest thing that I envision my trailer will turn out like. Except mine will be bigger, and no side boxes. It will probably be white as well. lol

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Tom Foolery gets the credit for the original design:sombrero:

I encorporated the rack for some extra storage and security.

We have a 4 day trip we are going to run over memorial weekend to see how the trailer does. The RTT and awning is due to arrive next Tuesday. I'll have to get a roof rack fabricated here right quick.:Wow1:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Trailer came out awesome !!!!

I hope the snow and ice are gone by Memirial Day:ylsmoke:

I'm headed out today for a couple of days, so if you need the measurments/dimensions of the tent and annex just hollar.

Congratz on a well built project, and lots of luck with it!

Pat

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer Pat, but I'm going to have to wait until I have the tent for fabbing up the rack. Because I am mounting the tent to open to the rear, the side window flaps are going to be very close to the awning. So I want to have everything there before I start mounting any of it.

So far most of all the snow and ice is gone here in town. However we might still see some around Memorial weekend in the higher elevations.

I am so ready for a grilled steak, corn on the cob, and a baked potatoe with "Alaska's great remote outdoors" as my dinner entertainment:victory:

chasingdreams

Adventurer
I got the load bars fabricated and painted so it was time to install the RTT. I also picked up a roof rack for the front. I picked up a Hardigg case that was still basically brand new for for $65.00.

So today I got the rack, the ARB Series III, and the ARB awning mounted up.

SIDE NOTE: Picked up the A/T awning mounts from Martyn "VERY NICE!!", I had to do a little modification for my application but I was extremely pleased with the product!

Bad news..... The ladder brackets were not in the box.

Good news.... Called ARB and they sent some out today for me.

On to some progress pics......

Attachments

• Expedition Trailer 186.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 186.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Expedition Trailer 188.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 188.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 124
  • Expedition Trailer 190.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 190.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Expedition Trailer 191.jpg
    Expedition Trailer 191.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 159

mmcan

Observer
Mounting the Tent

I like how you mounted the tent, allowing it to fold out towards/over the rear of the trailer. Seems like most of the time, the tent is mounted to open over the side of the trailer.

Was this something you decided to do bc of some part of the design of your trailer, or is it just how you liked it? I'm also wondering about the tongue weight and weight distribution on the trailer with the tent more towards the rear.

Awesome build!

chasingdreams

Adventurer
I like how you mounted the tent, allowing it to fold out towards/over the rear of the trailer. Seems like most of the time, the tent is mounted to open over the side of the trailer.

Was this something you decided to do bc of some part of the design of your trailer, or is it just how you liked it? I'm also wondering about the tongue weight and weight distribution on the trailer with the tent more towards the rear.

Awesome build!

The tent folding to the rear was to incorporate the annex that goes under the tent (For the shower and bathroom). The ARB annex has a zippered flap at the rear wall that will allow for access into the rear door. The tounge weight is about 50 lbs currently with empty jerry cans and empty propane tanks. Once the batteries are mounted in the tounge box and the fridge is mounted inside the rear door I will figure out where I'm going to store the three 7 gal water jugs to help get the weight distribution were I want it. I may just keep the water just movable for ballast depending on what all I'm hauling for a particular trip.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I think it looks great!

I flipped mine the same. Setting up involves all the plastic containers coming out of the inside, before the annex is installed. Set everything up, put containers back in trailer or annex, and your good to go. Tear down in reverse.

I did cut 4" foam pcs, to fit in the RTT, a little unhappy with the mattress. 3 pcs- 26" x 52" I believe. Slept like a baby, no back pain, huge difference!

Memorial Day is right around the corner! :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach