Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

kjp1969

Explorer
Kevin, I have the same fridge down the road from you if you need to compare anything...

Thanks Kurt, I'll let you know. I'm IM'ing CA right now.

I don't recall seeing anything... I think we need pictures. Could it be as simple as shaving off some mold flash?

Its one of those modern dilemmas- the plug and socket look right but just don't fit. I didn't get mean with it yet- I'm going to see if CA can send the correct cord before I go whittling. At least then I'll have a spare one to screw up on.

Edit to add: they're sending me a new one in a couple of weeks. I'll see what I can make-fit in the meantime.

Last edited:

drabnor

So mine arrived and it looks great- all the original packaging and aside from the "open box" it looks like it hasn't been touched. The 110v works great, but the 12v cord doesn't plug into the fridge. I'm going to call today to see about a replacement.

Without reading through all 8 bazillion posts in this thread, has anyone come across this?

My 12v cord was broken when it arrived, it was also a really cheap feeling connector/cord. I found an old 110v cord/plug that I think was from a vcr that was much higher quality and fits just fine, been working great. I just cut off the plug that you would plug into the wall and wired it in to my aux battery...

Xterabl

Adventurer
Radio Shack sells a cord with one end fitting the Edgestar 12V receptacle, the other end for house 120V.
So, another option if you prefer splicing wires to whittling....

craig333

Expedition Leader
I installed an on off switch on the fridge and hard wired it directly to the camper battery. Never a problem this way.

D

Deleted member 9101

I installed an on off switch on the fridge and hard wired it directly to the camper battery. Never a problem this way.

Thats how mine is, direct wire, 10ga for a run of about 5 feet. Never have a problem.

kjp1969

Explorer
Its one of those modern dilemmas- the plug and socket look right but just don't fit. I didn't get mean with it yet- I'm going to see if CA can send the correct cord before I go whittling. At least then I'll have a spare one to screw up on.

Edit to add: they're sending me a new one in a couple of weeks. I'll see what I can make-fit in the meantime.

Well here's your problem. The socket is a figure 8 shape, the plug isn't. The little divot at the top where the second notch should be is from me trying to ham-fist it in.

Someone somewhere is probably scratching their head over a VCR or George Foreman Grill, trying to get it to work.

Attachments

• IMG00098-20111006-1232.jpg
    IMG00098-20111006-1232.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 48

Smksignals

Explorer
Well here's your problem. The socket is a figure 8 shape, the plug isn't. The little divot at the top where the second notch should be is from me trying to ham-fist it in.

Someone somewhere is probably scratching their head over a VCR or George Foreman Grill, trying to get it to work.

yep, wrong cord alright. heck if that was the reason for return, your fridge is brand new. awesome !!

kjp1969

Explorer
yep, wrong cord alright. heck if that was the reason for return, your fridge is brand new. awesome !!

The plastic around the door has a few scuffs, but I had to look for them.

The new cord arrived on Saturday, and the fridge is working great on both 12v and 110.

bobbyinredwood

Might as well keep this thread going. Got a 65q Whynter today. Bought it online at kmart for 439 shipped to my door! They've got them on sale and the coupon code HOLIDAY gets you free shipping.
After reading through much of this thread I went ahead and took off the side panel and made sure all connections were solid and tight. I also put a wrench or screwdriver on every bolt and screw I could find, some were a little loose so I snugged them up. Also put a bead of Lexel around the inside of the lid gasket to seal it up a bit more and make sure it doesn't end up deforming or coming loose. Got some Reflectix and cut out the 5 pieces to cover fridge. I might use spray adhesive or velcro, not sure yet.
It fired right up with 110 and was at 37 in less than 20min. I'll be hard wiring it to my fuse box with a 10A fuse that's connected to a Sears Platinum.
One thing I'm interested to know is the 12v cord, is it the cigarette plug end the only part that's faulty? Looks like the wire is beefy enough although I'm not sure what gauge it is? Can I just use this cord and cut the cig. plug end off and hard wire to fuse box?

partsflyin

Adventurer
Might as well keep this thread going. Got a 65q Whynter today. Bought it online at kmart for 439 shipped to my door! They've got them on sale and the coupon code HOLIDAY gets you free shipping.
After reading through much of this thread I went ahead and took off the side panel and made sure all connections were solid and tight. I also put a wrench or screwdriver on every bolt and screw I could find, some were a little loose so I snugged them up. Also put a bead of Lexel around the inside of the lid gasket to seal it up a bit more and make sure it doesn't end up deforming or coming loose. Got some Reflectix and cut out the 5 pieces to cover fridge. I might use spray adhesive or velcro, not sure yet.
It fired right up with 110 and was at 37 in less than 20min. I'll be hard wiring it to my fuse box with a 10A fuse that's connected to a Sears Platinum.
One thing I'm interested to know is the 12v cord, is it the cigarette plug end the only part that's faulty? Looks like the wire is beefy enough although I'm not sure what gauge it is? Can I just use this cord and cut the cig. plug end off and hard wire to fuse box?

Yes to cutting the end off the original cord. I had problems with my cord immediatly after 1st use. Replaced the end of the cord only and it has been working great for a year now.

bobbyinredwood

Thanks for the replies! Cut the cig end off and hard wired it to my external fuse box. Fired right up and in less than 20 minutes went from 57 to 33!
Couldn't be happier with the overall construction of this thing. those who complain or worry about them not being built well are mistaken. I gave it the ol ********** around test to "listen" for hollowness or rattles, this is solid! All the latches and hinges are secured very well although using metal hinges and handles would certainly be an upgrade. Very quiet, I can hardly hear it running. So far very pleased and as long as this last 3 years I'll be stoked feeling I got my monies worth for sure.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
So are those just the same fridge as edgestar just assembled and marked from a different company?

Yes, these are Edgestar freezer/fridges.
My buddy finally found one at Compact Appliance from the "open box" sale section. $350 shipped, and it looks like new - just received it 2 days ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater