Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

munepit

To clarify, the compressor does not run at all? or it just doesn't get cold?

This is when on 12V, 120V, or both?

Might be worth tracing the continuity of the wires to ensure you're getting power in there.

I have only used it 120V. Have not tried it in my Suburban. There is a fan that runs, It does not get cold. When my hand is on the compressor while the unit is on, There is no vibration like you would feel if it was working. I will put a probe on it and check the wire this weekend. But from the pics I posted, It would seem to me that something is seriously wrong. There should be no smoke sediment or anything burnt to a crisp.

JamesDowning

Explorer
I figure that's from the weld/solder where the refrigerant lines penetrate the outer shell of the fridge box.

If you're not feeling the compressor turn on, my first guess would be electrical.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Maybe we have diff models, Mine just looks a little different inside i guess. though u were missing a copper tube or something. The motor makes a humming vibrate noise when its on.
IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

Bennyhana

Adventurer
My edgestar is dead!

Well after 4 years of faithfull service my FP43 is now done. I have had it running in the garage for most of the time. went out on Sunday to throw some beers in it and niticed the temp reading was 54. Opening the fridge revealed that it was warm inside. I hit the set button and it was set at 40 degrees. Even after hitting the fast freeze button and waiting for an hour, nothing.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
maybe temp sensor, try a lower setting and see if it comes on. i just replaced mine cause it turned into a freezer, if i set the temp all the way to max 50* the inside came up to 30* thats how i determined temp sensor. works perfectly again.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
That's the problem, it runs non stop. No matter what temp setting, I can hear it running. Just doesn't get cold inside. Called around and couldn't find anyone willing to service it.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
Now after tinkering around with it. I don't think the compressor is running. The fan on the condenser coil runs nonstop no mater the temp setting, but nothing else is making noise. There does appear to be another fan on the front that is running as well. I'm giving 12 volt a chance now.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
EDIT: We posted at the same time :lol:

If the compressor is running: Sounds like it has a leak that needs to be fixed and recharge the refrigerant. Pretty easily done. Don't continue to run the compressor while it is low on refrigerant. You don't want to risk burning it up if the oil is not properly being circulated. Wonder if it would be worth shipping south (Oregon) to me and see if I can salvage it?

If the compressor is not running it may be a pressure switch. It could have a low and high. It could also be a thermostat. You can try bypassing the switch and see if it cools. Be careful not to over do it.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
One mans opinion.

My 63qt. has been going strong for 3+ years...

I wouldn't quite call it one mans opinion, this thread alone has a few of those opinions ;)

That said I think they are a great entry level fridge and if nothing else offer a way to verify the need and use of a 12V fridge without the cost of entry that the higher end units require. I've sold quite 'higher end' fridges to past Edgestar customers and most were happy with the bang for the buck but having realized the value of the fridge wanted more and were able to recoup some of their investment by selling. A few had issues similar to those presented in this thread and couldn't get rid of them fast enough :D. Like they say a rising tide brings up all ships as a retailer of 'other' fridges I like the fact there is the Edgestar/XYZ option as it only stands to help the market grow in the grand scheme.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Sure Kurt, I agree. I just take exception to calling them junk...

I hear ya... bang for the buck they are hard to beat but once your sold on the idea you may be ready to up your investment. Kinda like the Suzuki Samurai of fridges :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater