Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

Xterabl

Adventurer
Sure, more than 1 mans' opinion; but don't forget: most people who are happy with their fridge simply will not post about it...so there's kind of a reverse survivor's bias in effect. Personally, I'm very happy with my almost-2-year-old 43 quart. But I also can't wait 'til I have enough money to waste on a higher-end fridge/freezer combo. If only my Edgestar would just break down already...knock on wood LOL.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
But I also can't wait 'til I have enough money to waste on a higher-end fridge/freezer combo. If only my Edgestar would just break down already...knock on wood LOL.

Ha you may be in luck. My Edgestar went kaput probablly a month after I posted it was doing great for 3 years......I bit the bullet and went ahead and replaced it with the ARB.

DjKeebz

Mine has been working fine for a little over a year and the AC side just went out today. It still works on 12 volt and I tested it and there is power at the input of the power supply, but none on the output. I purchased the extended warranty so hopefully they will send me what I need to fix it!

ldivinag

Adventurer
anyone know where i can find the 12 volt plug? just the end that plugs into the fridge, if possible. i can use my own larger gauge wires.

i lost the original and would like to be using this soon via car battery...

thanks.

4x4junkie

Explorer
anyone know where i can find the 12 volt plug? just the end that plugs into the fridge, if possible. i can use my own larger gauge wires.

i lost the original and would like to be using this soon via car battery...

thanks.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/LCAC-400/2-CONDUCTOR-POLARIZED-CHEATER-CORD/1.html

Cut the cord off a couple inches from the plug, then solder a length of heavier-gauge wire w/cigarette lighter plug to it (squared side is positive, rounded side negative).

However I eventually got sick of the plug getting broken off and changed out the socket on the fridge to a pigtail connection using this
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-...CTOR-WEATHER-RESISTANT-CONNECTOR-14AWG/1.html

General Automag

Adventurer
Does anyone with one of the 43-quart Edgestar fridges use them in an FJ40? If so, can you post some pictures just to show the fit? Thanks!!!

General Automag

Adventurer
How well do the fridges work in a vehicle with rolled-up windows in the summer heat?

Does anyone have any feedback on the performance of the Edgestar / Whyntner in an enclosed vehicle in the summertime? (I assume that the Edgestar and Whynter units are the same as they look the same and have the same specs:

http://www.edgestar.com/FP430-Compa...gid=Appliances-Refrigerators-12_Volt_Portable
http://www.whynter.com/productdetail/refrigeration/portable_freezers/282

On a 95-degree day at 2PM in the afternoon, the inside temps on our vehicles were

147-degrees (a compact black import)
132-degrees (a green mid-size SUV)
124-degrees (a light blue FJ40 with the white-topped factory hardtop)

All of the vehicles had the windows rolled up and the digital thermometer was not placed in direct sunlight inside the vehicle.

The solar-powered window fans do not work, and because of dust and crime and safety reasons, it's neither feasible nor prudent to leave the windows cracked. How have your units performed in a "locked-up" auto in the heat?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Well, I haven't had any problems with mine in a closed vehicle, but I don't know what temperatures it's hit inside. My 43qt Edgestar has performed flawlessly no matter what the outside temperature is, no matter whether it's running on 12v or 110v.

kai38

Explorer
Mine is mounted in the rear of my FJ Cruiser. Been using it for 4yrs with no problems.
Last week it was 113 degrees in camp and fridge was at 38 degrees all weekend long.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Yea The fridge has no problem handleing the heat but just remember when its closed up in the car with those temps it will most likely be running non stop to keep the heat out of the fridge using more power than normal. I do see a drop in voltage on the hotter days but the fridge keeps cool. 1 year 5 months running strong.

From my experience just dont load up the fridge with warm drinks in those temps, It will talke hours to cool.

Xterabl

Adventurer
Good info, folks! Myself: 2 yrs, 2 mos with my 43qt. Good performance in high temps, including Death Valley (caveat: that was in January so only about 98-100 deg F. temps)

Xterabl

Adventurer
Thanks for the statistical minutiae. If you do the math, it was about 31-33 degrees above average when I was there. Actually, I double checked my photos...it was the very end of January/beginning of February. So, I guess maybe only 27-29 degrees above average.

trump

Adventurist
Thanks for the statistical minutiae. If you do the math, it was about 31-33 degrees above average when I was there. Actually, I double checked my photos...it was the very end of January/beginning of February. So, I guess maybe only 27-29 degrees above average.

Take it easy man. Just seemed odd for Death Valley in Jan where most people complain about the cold. An unusual heat wave explains that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach