Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

CLynn85

Explorer
Hey if anyone wants to "trade up" to the 63qt unit in the mid atlantic region I have my 63 qt available in really nice shape. We've changed up our camping system and the smaller 43qt version would integrate into the new camper better. Willing to meet in the middle to do the swap.

4x4junkie

Explorer
thanks for the tip.

but any chance you have pix or a write of this conversion?

I have this pic where you can see the pigtail connector sticking out, though I don't have any showing it from inside without the cover on (sorry).
7029594007_large.jpg

It's not too difficult of a mod though...
What I did was make a small blockoff plate to screw into place over the hole where the original 12V socket snapped into the metal bracket inside the fridge, I then drilled a hole in the center of the blockoff plate so I could then insert the wires of the pigtail (using a strain relief) through the hole. Finally I soldered the pigtail wires to the wires removed from the old DC jack (brown = pos, blue = neg) insulating them with shrink tubing.

TimS

Adventurer
Where would the pressure switch be located at? Mine runs fine for a day or 2 and than stops cooling. The fan on the control board runs but the fan on the compressor is not .Also, the compressor is cool to the touch since it has not been running.
EDIT: We posted at the same time :lol:

If the compressor is running: Sounds like it has a leak that needs to be fixed and recharge the refrigerant. Pretty easily done. Don't continue to run the compressor while it is low on refrigerant. You don't want to risk burning it up if the oil is not properly being circulated. Wonder if it would be worth shipping south (Oregon) to me and see if I can salvage it?

If the compressor is not running it may be a pressure switch. It could have a low and high. It could also be a thermostat. You can try bypassing the switch and see if it cools. Be careful not to over do it.

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Where would the pressure switch be located at? Mine runs fine for a day or 2 and than stops cooling. The fan on the control board runs but the fan on the compressor is not .Also, the compressor is cool to the touch since it has not been running.

Im willing to bet its the wiring. When I first got mine I had the same problem it would just stop working. everything seemed fine but it didnt work. Some times the low voltage light would show even though I was at like 11.7 volts. After multiple people telling me to run new wire I ran a 6gauge wire to the back of the 4 runner and it has been fine since... just some food for thought

It isnt the smartest computer so it sees a drop in voltage and it cant handle it across the stock wiring.

TimS

Adventurer
I should of been more specific. This happens while its plugged into the 120 volt. I have not even tried the 12volt side since it started acting up.
Im willing to bet its the wiring. When I first got mine I had the same problem it would just stop working. everything seemed fine but it didnt work. Some times the low voltage light would show even though I was at like 11.7 volts. After multiple people telling me to run new wire I ran a 6gauge wire to the back of the 4 runner and it has been fine since... just some food for thought

It isnt the smartest computer so it sees a drop in voltage and it cant handle it across the stock wiring.

frfun

I'm thinking I may want to get one of these units as my first 12v fridge/freezer. Does the price for these new units fluctuate often or maybe I'm just looking at the open box pricing from previous posts. For the 43qt, is the current "sale" price of $479 shipped/no tax good? I thought I saw a post from last year were these were about $100 cheaper, not sure though.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Just keep your eye on the "open box" inventory. I got my 43qt model for $317 shipped to my door, and it's worked flawlessly for a couple years in a pretty rough-and-tumble environment in my trail rig. It also doubles as a beer fridge when I have a party that's beyond my house's refrigerator's capacity. I've had 2 other friends who have done as I did and managed to get theirs for a steal too!

4x4junkie

Explorer
I'm thinking I may want to get one of these units as my first 12v fridge/freezer. Does the price for these new units fluctuate often or maybe I'm just looking at the open box pricing from previous posts. For the 43qt, is the current "sale" price of $479 shipped/no tax good? I thought I saw a post from last year were these were about $100 cheaper, not sure though.

I paid $450 shipped for mine around this time in 2010 (new, not a refurbished/open box unit). I'm thinking after 2 years and continued inflation that doesn't seem too out of line.

But yeah, the open box/scratch & dent (refurb) specials usually are considerably cheaper. However my experiences with refurbished items (not necessarily these fridges, but all products in general) has only been about 70-80% good, which tends to steer me away from them unless I'm able to exchange it in person at a local store if for some reason it doesn't work. YMMV.

tatuedrednek

Wanderer
Awesome discussion! I've been eyeing one of these "cheap" fridges. It's good to get so many honest opinions. Both good and bad. My grandfather always said "A poor man cannot afford to buy cheap things." But I have been blessed with the skills to buy something for a decent price and modify it to make it reliable and perform the way I need it to, ie, my 190k mi. Jeep Cherokee that came to me in rather pitiful shape. I do believe that overall these fridges do their job, you just have to make it work for your intended application. Hopefully I'll make out as well as some of you have with my customized cheap fridge.

Last edited:

trasko

Adventurer
I watched for 3-4 weeks when I first learned about this fridge during my research. It never went on sale in the 43qt size so I bought it new. It's been fine.

General Automag

Adventurer
Has anyone bought a fridge/freezer from IronMan4x4?

Has anyone in the Forum tried the new fridge/freezers from Ironman4x4? Here's the link: http://www.ironman4x4.com/html/fridge.html. IronMan4x4 is relatively new to the U.S., and their other off-road products and lights seem to be top notch. I've seen their U.S. distributors offering relatively good discounts in order to penetrate the market here. I believe the price would be somewhat greater than Edgestars, Dometic, and Waeco units but less than the ARB and Engel units.

I saw one in its protective case at the last GSMTR http://www.stlca.org/gsmtr/ event, and it looked to be a well made unit and it was cooling the beverages well. The warranty is 5 years on the compressor and 3 years on everything else. ARB gives a 3-year limited warranty http://arbusa.com/Contact/Warranty.aspx and Engel gives a 2-year limited warranty http://www.engel-usa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82&Itemid=123. I was thinking on giving the 50L (53 qt) model a try. With what I've read from the posts, there are good ones and bad ones from all of the manufacturers.

Here's what IronMan4x4 has on their fridge/freezers:

Attachments

• IronManfridge-1.jpg
    IronManfridge-1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IronManfridge-2.jpg
    IronManfridge-2.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 7
  • IronManfridge-3.jpg
    IronManfridge-3.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 7

CaliMobber

Adventurer
Ive never heard of them but they look decent. I cant find a price and thats one of my biggest pet peeves. How can you advertise something and not list a price. I not going to go out of my way to call and find out if its not even in my price range. If they cost close to the price of a arb then Id just go with an ARB hands down, no point in messing with another brand that more unknown unless its significantly cheap like the edgestars.

But it looks interesting enough to investigate. let us know if you find out prices

ttn333

Observer
Well my scratch and dent edgestar just crapped out. Picked it up last december for about $300. I'm now mulling over sending it in for repair or just bite the bullet and get an engel (like I should have from the start). I swear, every time I try to cheap out on something, I get to buy it again.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
haha so true ttn333, same thing happened to me and my edge, i am going to bite the bullet on a fridge and see if i can sell the edge for parts.

for anyone looking at these, they are also branded as INDEL-B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach