cheap molle setup?

screwball48

Explorer
The cheapest alternative to a molle panel is to use wire storage shelves. The rubbermaid closet ones are regularly white but the ones for garage storage can be found in grey.

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
Door storage

I made my setup with some 1"x1" wire mesh I picked up at the steel yard. I will say that its not a perfect fit but close, as long as you dont want the pouches to be easily removed, it works. If you do need the pouches/bags to be easliy removed, go with 1 1/4" wire mesh. I picked up a 4' x 8' sheet for $60, got enough to do my rear doors, rear windows an some other unique spots in my van. So far I have only completed the rear doors. Will post more pics when I finish the other locations in my van.
drivers side.jpg pass. side.jpg

oc357

Shlaytim,

Did you drill directly into the door panel to mount your panel or did you use pre-existing holes?

Thanks

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
I drilled into the plastic door panel only, not the sheet metal. Has held up well and no noise from the panels on or off road.

oc357

Thanks, I picked up an E-150 last week and this looks like a great idea. Thank you for sharing.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I made my setup with some 1"x1" wire mesh I picked up at the steel yard. I will say that its not a perfect fit but close, as long as you dont want the pouches to be easily removed, it works. If you do need the pouches/bags to be easliy removed, go with 1 1/4" wire mesh. I picked up a 4' x 8' sheet for $60, got enough to do my rear doors, rear windows an some other unique spots in my van. So far I have only completed the rear doors. Will post more pics when I finish the other locations in my van.
View attachment 226191 View attachment 226192

Awesome job! It seems a lot better indea now that I have a visual! Thanks for the post!

uber

Observer
super cheap molle setup in my xj .. 1" flat steel, 1/4" spacers, nuts/bolts .. total as seen <$40

99A07C1B-2963-4D1D-96CC-CF52D23E98B0-1927-0000059F4CD86DC4.jpg

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
I purchased the Smittybilt MOLLE panel for the inside of the tailgate of my JKU. Works like a champ, easy to install, came with 2 pouches, and cost $55. They have several other MOLLE options as well such a seat covers, door panels, and an overhead console. Here's a link for more info; http://www.smittybilt.com/gear.htm.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
I purchased the Smittybilt MOLLE panel for the inside of the tailgate of my JKU. Works like a champ, easy to install, came with 2 pouches, and cost $55. They have several other MOLLE options as well such a seat covers, door panels, and an overhead console. Here's a link for more info; http://www.smittybilt.com/gear.htm.

Is there any difference in the setup of their GEAR. Stuff and MOLLE equipment? I've seen lots of similar looking gear from smitty and others that looks just like it but suspiciously does not ever say the word Molle

I'm just worried about buying their seat covers & then a bunch of labelled Molle pouches etc and finding out the straps don't fit or something.

Might sound like a stupid question, but I've never owned a single thing that's had these strap mounting things before & I'm getting one soon & plan to add more.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
Same thing! The spacing on the Smittybilt GEAR and MOLLE/PALS webbing is identical. Any piece of kit that has MOLLE webbing attachments will fit the GEAR products with no issues at all. My panel n the Jeeo has all sorts of non-GEAR attached. MOLLE is great! I've been using it in both personal and professional capacities for years and find it to be the most versatile and varied option out there. Give it a go and I think you'll like it!!

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Is there any difference in the setup of their GEAR. Stuff and MOLLE equipment? I've seen lots of similar looking gear from smitty and others that looks just like it but suspiciously does not ever say the word Molle

I'm just worried about buying their seat covers & then a bunch of labelled Molle pouches etc and finding out the straps don't fit or something.

Might sound like a stupid question, but I've never owned a single thing that's had these strap mounting things before & I'm getting one soon & plan to add more.

I have the Smittybuilt seatcovers and regular MOLLE pouches fit just fine. The seatcovers come with a bunch of stuff as well to get you started.

Tigglebitties

Adventurer
I have the Smittybuilt seatcovers and regular MOLLE pouches fit just fine. The seatcovers come with a bunch of stuff as well to get you started.

What vehicle do you have the seat covers on? I've been debating getting em cause I've seen when you make a "universal" fit cover it fits everything kinda well and fits nothing perfectly.

I've got a tacoma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh