Chevy AWD

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Hey guys I'm new to this. Sold my Toy Tacoma 5 months ago and just bought a 06' Chevy AWD express with 53,000 miles on it. I've read this thread several times now trying to learn about what you guys did for lift etc. Most of the stuff re lifts is from 5 years ago or so. I see now that there are a handful of lifts available. After some time has passed for you guys have you seen a newer one that is better than what you have done? I couldn't find the MAXX kit that , I think Zuren?, used. How about Traxda or boulder off road kits? Pro's/Cons? ANd another question, how come when I see these lifts the kits often have a 3" lift for the front while only a 1" lift for the back? Motor weight? does the front and back end up the same height or is having the front higher a standard thing with lifts? Thanks, excuse my rookie questions
If your doing the torsion key lift most 1999-2007 Silverado/Sierra kits will work. If they come with shocks the rears won't work without some additional work and parts. The Maxx kit should still be available, although there are some cheaper options. I went with this kit from Supreme Suspensions. It doesn't have shocks, but does include shock extensions for the front. It came with 2" rear blocks for the rear, this leaves the rear a bit higher than the front turned up to 3" when empty, but less then stock. I haven't fully built out my interior, but I hoping it levels out a little more with the added weight. The u-bolts were long and needed an extra washer to not bottom out the threads. I would buy it again, they have a few different kits with fewer parts if don't want/need the rear blocks and u-bolts or front shock extensions.
The stock rear shocks will work, but limit down travel and should be replaced. Any shock for a 2500-3500 van will fit perfectly with the 2" blocks. I used these KYB's. I have since removed the front spacers and purchased some Bilstein 5100s for the front, the spacers made the shocks bottom out a bit to soon on severe bumps.

fire_strom

Adventurer
Hi all. I know this is a thread resurrection but I am brand new to this AWD Chevy Express game. I just bought a '13 and would like to lift it a couple of inches. I've read this thread and the others I could find on these trucks but still have some questions.
Someone indicated that the 2013 used a different suspension then the previous models. Is this right? Do the lift components you guys are talking about here work for these '13's too?
If so my plan is to get the torsion keys from Susspention Maxx, Traxda or Boulder Off Road, use the 99-2006 Suburban 2500 rear springs for the rear and get the Skyjacker 7000 shocks as listed here and other places. The thing I haven't figured out yet is the goofy mount issue for the rear shock. I would like to be able to use all the travel of the lifted truck so I'd prefer not to just use shock adapters. What has been the consensus on modifications to make the shock fit with the non standard mount?
Thanks guys,
Again,
-G

86cj

Explorer
I have a 2013 and it has no special model year differences the vans are the same until the end in 2014, any lift key from a GM 99-06 1/2 ton will work. Just buy 1 ton GM Van rear shocks they are longer and are valved for a van, for front shocks they make longer shocks for a mild lift on GM 99-06 1/2 tons they bolt right on and have stiffer valving for bigger tires. The only reason not to use Bilsteins is the extra few bucks, they are worth every penny to me and don't use any shock spacers or adapters. BTW the Bilstein 4600 rear and 5100 front shocks on my van work great together and were recommended by Bilstein, they said one is made of steel and the other aluminum no worries.

Lot's of good info and part numbers here..http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/137390-GM-fullsize-AWD-Van-Info-thread

Accrete

Explorer
Hi all. I know this is a thread resurrection but I am brand new to this AWD Chevy Express game. I just bought a '13...
-G

Welcome to the AWD club !

I think the mild lifts on these rigs give them just enough trail-ish bling to really shine. And as 86cj pointed out there are stock-part options to get it done rather than going with the BOR lift as we did. When we had a local shop put the kit on for us the owner stated all the parts in the kit were pretty much available at any chevy parts counter. Live and learn.

Happy building and overlanding.

: ) Thom

fire_strom

Adventurer
Welcome to the AWD club !

Happy building and overlanding.

: ) Thom

Thanks, I am glad to be here. I was wanting to go the AWD Van route before I started lurking here but reading through posts here is for sure what tipped me into action.
-G

Mcarpenito89

Adventurer
I know this thread is super old , but just wanted to say I'm new to the forum and getting some good ideas for my 2006 awd 1500 gmc Savana

kntr

Observer
Finally got the Traxda keys, Bilstein shocks and suburban leafs on. I got 4" in the front and 5" in the rear. It sits 2" higher in the back than the front, but I think it will settle a little. Sorry for the bad pics, but its below zero outside. Currently running 265/75/16 studded snow tires. I have a set of 275/70/17 tires and with chrome 17s for the summer in the shed. I have waited so long for this. It actually drives better than stock! No nose dive when stopping and no body sway on the highway. I was the one that started this thread years ago!

Attachments

• IMG_6434[1].jpg
    IMG_6434[1].jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_6652[1].jpg
    IMG_6652[1].jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_6653[1].jpg
    IMG_6653[1].jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

kntr

Observer
Has anyone tried a 285/70/17 or 295/70/17 with just a Traxda. I'm running 275/70/17 with almost stock backspacing and I still have a lot of room.

Attachments

• IMG_6880[1].jpg
    IMG_6880[1].jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 130

TheEL

Observer
Can someone out there (with a sliding side door) do me a favor?

I just got my van painted and I swear there is a bigger gap on the bottom of the sliding door then was there before. Looks fine from the outside but inside there seems to be a bigger space where I can see through to the street. Maybe they removed some weather stripping down there that they didnt put back on? A picture of the bottom of the door would be awesome.

Ride1st

Are you using a 275/70/17 for a spare? Any problem getting it to fit underneath in the stock location for the spare?

kntr

Observer
Are you using a 275/70/17 for a spare? Any problem getting it to fit underneath in the stock location for the spare?

I haven't tried yet. I bought the 275/70/17s used for $240 to make sure they would fit. When I get 285s, Ill try one of the 275s in the spare location.

ultrarunner1

Hey Brien. Can u tell me how high your van sits? Bottom of front and rear bumper? I got a 2004 awd van with some MAXX suspension already installed. Front bumper is 34,5" and rear is 36" I got 265x70x16 tires
I like the gap between tire and bumper in the rear, which is 6", but I don't like 4,5" in the front....
Thx

Choff

Adventurer

JUST WENT THROUGH THIS WITH SPARE TIRE ISSUE ON 2005 AWD SAVANNA VAN
I AM RUNNING GOODYEAR TRIPPLE TREAD ON ALL FOURS AND SPARE TIRE ALSO WITH SAME RIMS ON VAN

P265/70R17 WILL FIT UNDER FOR SPARE , HAD TO PUT AN NEW SPARE DROP DOWN WITH CABLE ,MINE WAS FROZE AND WOULD NOT BUDGE.

MAYBE THE 275 WILL FIT?

Rykgt

Hi kntr, and 86cj,
I’m trying to get the correct part numbers for bilstein shocks for the rear of my awd Savana van, which will be getting the suburban springs (22-907). I went through this thread and there are several DIFFERENT bilstein part numbers which have been recommended. Does someone who has used the replacement springs and Bilstein shocks and is happy with the result please let me know what the correct part number is? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven