Choosing my first overland vehicle

phobucket

Observer
Hi all,

I'm new to overlanding and am looking for a good vehicle to take myself and my boys (4 and 7) on adventures. We live in NorCal and I picture us mostly going on trips that are 1-5 days long around the western states. Maybe longer in a few years. The car would be my only vehicle, so not leaving me stranded is important, but I can walk to work, so gas mileage is not that important. I don't have a place to wrench right now, but hopefully will in about a year.

I don't think we'll be wheeling per se, but I do picture some fairly remote camping. On the other hand, I picture a lot of road miles too as we do mini social science adventures. Trying to find one vehicle that can do it all reasonably well for the next 4-5 years.

Right now I'm driving a Mini Clubman S. Need a touch more space ;) Also I'm tired of driving stick in traffic through the Calderón tunnel, so an automatic is high in the list of priorities.

My short list includes:

2008 LR3 SE - 36k miles for $21,000
I nearly bought an LR3 and like the way they drive. The 3rd row seats could come in handy.

2013 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X - new at just under $28k. I also like how these drive. The interior isn't as posh, but the plastic rear cargo area seems like it would really suit me. Having a warranty for the next few years would be sweet too.

2003ish Discovery - So much character for so little money and the size is perfect, but I wonder if I am really just asking for trouble if I don't have a garage. In theory, I could buy a second car as a runabout, but not having a payment would rock.

Things I have ruled out include a 4runner (too much money), a Tacoma (need internal vs external storage), and a JKU (too many problems with previous Chryslers, didn't like how the Rubicon felt on the highway)

So am I crazy for even considering a Discovery for my needs? Is an LR3 potentially just as much work, and is an SE as capable off - road as an Xterra Pro -4X? Is there anything else I should be considering (Forester?)

Thanks!

natvet

Observer
For that money, I would think 03-07 Land Cruiser. Probably the most reliable vehicle I have had. Has room and will get you where ever you want to go.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

LR Max

Local Oaf
I would go with the Lexus GX470. Great overall trucks. About the same size dimensionally as the 80 series Land Cruiser but with a boss of an engine. Guys are modifying them too and there are lots of great trucks out there.

From your list, the LR3 is a great vehicle. Search here for info. You'll have little naggly problems but overall, great, capable vehicles. Plenty of room as long as you don't pack the whole house when you go off roading. Search here as this question is asked every week.

So is the Nissan. I drove a V6 with the 6 speed manual for work a few years back. really nice on the highway. Felt like the gears were too tall for off road, though. Never could get the thing to creep enough. You might be considering an auto, which would be better. Also heavily consider the Pro-4X package. Basically it gives you everything you need right out of the gate. My friend just traded in his 08 Xterra for one with the Pro-4X package. He loves it. Already has proven itself in the mud. Also both years, the V6 is a hoss. No power problems there.

If this is going to be a second vehicle, consider the 1st gen Xterras. Cheap and lots of upgrades available. He has a 2000 Xterra as well. At 120k he replaced all the front suspension bushings, a new set of tires, and other maintenance items. Keeps on going. The nice thing about the 1st gen Xterras is they are more compact. Easier to work with off road. Cheap is nice if its a 2nd vehicle that will mainly be sitting there. Lastly its an Xterra so it'll start when you want it to.

2003 disco...no.

Also check out late model Monteros. Another great vehicle that flies under the radar. Can give you a lot of bang for your buck.

I know you hate it, but the Grand Cherokees (the WJs) are great trucks. I hate saying it, but its the truth.

PhyrraM

Adventurer
Agree with the Montero idea. A '94-'96 Montero SR (rear locker) can be had for under $3000 all day long. A slightly newer one (still with locker) might go as high as $6000. Fairly flexible IFS up front (for an IFS) and a really flexy solid rear make for a surprisingly capable truck.

Of your list above, the LR3 is likely to be the most capable. However, I am not familiar with the xTerra or the 4X package.

BuffaloFunk

Observer
+1 for the Xterra. It is a killer vehicle for a great price. I was looking at FJ Cruisers, JKUs, 4Runners, Tacomas and eventually got stuck deciding between the Xterra and its sister the Frontier.

I love my Pro-4X! It is more capable off road out of the box than I probably need. The only things I'm looking at adding is some sliders for some added protection and to help me reach the roof rack, along with some better tires. The Rugged Trails a decent but a really lacking in the snow.

Mine is a manual, so I can't comment on the auto.

You are correct, the interior is a bit lacking; it is well built, but far from luxurious.

My complaints are:
-Center arm rest is a bit of a joke. It is too far back to but much use. No previous car has even had one though, so it doesn't bother me too much.
-Plastics are a bit hard.
-Navigation is a bit slow to decide on a route.
-Can't program navigation while driving (what if I have a passenger!)
-While I love the plastic in the rear, it does make groceries and other stuff slide all around on the trip home.
-Rear seat entry is a bit cramped for full size people.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
- Overlanding ....... 1 to 5 days

- Two boys .......... who have friends

- Camping trips .......... with two boys, more stuff than you realize and that doesn't include the kitchen sink

- Vehicle of choice considerations ........... seating, cargo capacity and future towing requirements

Hands down ........ LR3/LR4

Exploder
We have a couple of 2WD Xterras that are used as work trucks for our technicians. For me, the seats are incredibly uncomfortable. After driving one for six hours straight I vowed that I would never own one.

YMMV, but an extended test-drive wouldn't be a bad idea.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
We have a couple of 2WD Xterras that are used as work trucks for our technicians. For me, the seats are incredibly uncomfortable. After driving one for six hours straight I vowed that I would never own one.

YMMV, but an extended test-drive wouldn't be a bad idea.

I second the seats comment above. I always loved and said I would have an Xterra one day. Then I took a Frontier for a test drive and swore off the vehicle until they got better seats and an improved interior. Went with a newer Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Between the updated interior and drive-terrain it was leaps and bounds better than the Xterra.

phobucket

Observer
2003 disco...no.

Haha!! Very succinct. Your post got me cruising land cruiser and lx/gx threads. Dangerous. I'm having a lot of trouble wrapping my head around buying a vehicle that already has 100k miles or more.

Thanks for the feedback everyone else too. Turns out the LR3 sold even though it is still on autotrader. :/

Leaning more heavily towards the xterra now.

LR Max

Local Oaf
You know there are plenty of LR3s on the market. Keep looking. The 07s are also a good year.

I know here on the east coast, LR4s are in the $30k range these days. If that is within your budget, the LR4 is quite the superior vehicle.

phobucket

Observer
That budget only works for me on a new vehicle with a warranty. I think for a Land Rover I need to keep it in the low 20 's to factor $ for repairs and maintenance. And to completely contradict my last statement, I want some money left over to mod it :) There's something freeing about not having a warranty to void.

It's true another deal may pop up in the next couple weeks, and I'm keeping my eyes open. I'm also looking at used 4runners now, like an 04 with the V8. I think I need to get out and look at some used hundys and 4runners.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

LR Max

Local Oaf
Never had any issues with the Xterra seats. That said, that is a personal preference.

For low 20s, you could get a full on Jeep Rubicon 4 door that has already been Brodozer'd.

Go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk