Chossing a cordless impact driver

Tim A

Adventurer
I'm looking for a DeWalt impact. This small one looks good but the battery pack/handle is so close to the driver that it might interfere while trying to remove lugnuts.

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-drivers--wrenches-dc820b.aspx

They also make a bigger impact with more torque (which I don't think I need) but it is more traditionally styled. Any thoughts?

http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless-impact-driverswrenches-high-torque-wrenches-dw059b.aspx

I'm staying with DeWalt because I already have several batteries. Any first hand knowledge is appreciated.

chasespeed

Explorer
The smaller one only works out to about 145ft-lbs... now remember, that is MAX. A TIGHT lug nut will work that thing at the max just trying to break it free.

I would go with the larger one. More motor, less RPM, more impacts PER Rev, more TORQUE.

Just my 2 cents.

Chase

Rubiclone

Observer
i have the smaller one, the 145 ft/lbs is fine, if you need to use more, get a real impact (air), i was able to do 99% of my engine conversion using the smaller one, it was even able to take off the big bolts that hold the front to hooks on, and the bolts holding the rear hidden hitch once i broke the bolt a little free. go with the smaller one, you can get it into tighter spaces and it works fine. i should note, i have the one without the square drive, so i can interchangable 1/2" or 3/4" bits i can put on it for my sockets. however, if you decide to remove more than your engine, drive system, exhaust, fuel tank, and all your skid plates, i cant guarantee that you will have the require torque with the small one.

Tim A

Adventurer
A normal flipover lug socket requires a short extension anyway because the 1/2" square hole is in the middle, not at the end (and you can use a longer extension as well), so that would probably mitigate the problem with the smaller gun:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_100439-2830...duct_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=Ingersoll Rand

Here's what may be a dumb question: Can I use a regular 1/2" ratchet extension (either 3" or 6") with the impact? Even if the impact socket isn't dual-sided?

Tim A

Adventurer
The smaller one only works out to about 145ft-lbs... now remember, that is MAX. A TIGHT lug nut will work that thing at the max just trying to break it free.

I would go with the larger one. More motor, less RPM, more impacts PER Rev, more TORQUE.

Just my 2 cents.

Chase

Perhaps you're right but the small size is appealing when it comes to packing the impact up for a road trip/trail run. Thanks for the advice.

Tim A

Adventurer
i have the smaller one, the 145 ft/lbs is fine, if you need to use more, get a real impact (air), i was able to do 99% of my engine conversion using the smaller one, it was even able to take off the big bolts that hold the front to hooks on, and the bolts holding the rear hidden hitch once i broke the bolt a little free. go with the smaller one, you can get it into tighter spaces and it works fine. i should note, i have the one without the square drive, so i can interchangable 1/2" or 3/4" bits i can put on it for my sockets. however, if you decide to remove more than your engine, drive system, exhaust, fuel tank, and all your skid plates, i cant guarantee that you will have the require torque with the small one.

I don't plan on doing any more than the stuff you mention. Is your impact (with the interchangeable bits) a DeWalt? If so do you have the part #?

Quill

Adventurer
Tool King.com sells different models. As for non impact extensions, I use them on my air impact tools.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Here's what may be a dumb question: Can I use a regular 1/2" ratchet extension (either 3" or 6") with the impact? Even if the impact socket isn't dual-sided?

Sure. 1/2" square drive is the same.

The impact rated sockets and extensions are a harder grade steel to stand up to the beating. Using a normal extension you might twist it or strip it, and using a normal socket you might split the side (I've done both :D ).

The flip type lugnut sockets are two sided for convenience. Usually they are also a bit deeper and have a heavier wall thickness than a normal socket, but there's a bunch of different kinds:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools.asp?tool=all&Group_ID=1652&store=snapon-store

There are also 1/2" air guns designed to use with the flip sockets without an extension. Most tire ships have them:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=2798&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

EDIT: And I'd vote for the smaller gun as well to carry in the truck. I had one of the 12v Makita impact guns when they first came out and was seriously impressed with how much power it had (and I'm not easily impressed). Even the smaller 18v DeWalt gun must be a little monster.

Last edited:

nely

Adventurer
The 3/8 drive at 145 ft lbs probably wont work well for your lugnuts. I used a snapon 1/2 and changed a complete wheelhub on a 4x superduty. I used a 1/2 to 3/8 impact adapter and could take anything off i wanted. Its a lil bulkier but the 1/2 can do more with less effort. I guess the 3/8 is good for somestuff but really the 1/2 would do all youd need in an emergency offroad plus handle the lightduty stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Prd_Cdn

I myself would not use dewalt.
They have poor warranty and service. I work for a company that sells power tools and dewalt was designed for the home owner who's real need is not that of a blue collar.
All of their innards are plastic or low grade steel which fail ALOT. What they consider the end of your warranty is about 5 mins after you walk out the door with it. Yes the store you bought it from gives you a new one, but ask them if Black and Decker (who actually makes the dewalt line) gives them a new one to replace your old broken one.
I would go with a Makita, Bosch or Milwakee ... one with a 1/2 drive. Usually means 18.8v as opposed to the 14.4 or 12v which relates to more power, longer life and longer use. I use a Bosch 22618 which comes with a second battery, quick charge charger and carrying case WHICH most of them out there do not.

Rubiclone

Observer
They have poor warranty and service. I work for a company that sells power tools and dewalt was designed for the home owner who's real need is not that of a blue collar.
All of their innards are plastic or low grade steel which fail ALOT. What they consider the end of your warranty is about 5 mins after you walk out the door with it. Yes the store you bought it from gives you a new one, but ask them if Black and Decker (who actually makes the dewalt line) gives them a new one to replace your old broken one.
I would go with a Makita, Bosch or Milwakee ... one with a 1/2 drive. Usually means 18.8v as opposed to the 14.4 or 12v which relates to more power, longer life and longer use. I use a Bosch 22618 which comes with a second battery, quick charge charger and carrying case WHICH most of them out there do not.

You are mistaken, the dewalt also comes with carying case, quick charger and dual batteries.

And for the OP, it was this one i have
http://www.handtoolslist.com/Bare.Tool.DEWALT.DC825B.Cordless.Impact.Driver
I think there are two different ones that look almost the same, one is a bit more expensive, i have the more expensive one... it comes with an LED, thats one of the ways you can tell them appart i believe ( dont quote me on that)

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The 3/8 drive at 145 ft lbs probably wont work well for your lugnuts. I used a snapon 1/2 and changed a complete wheelhub on a 4x superduty. I used a 1/2 to 3/8 impact adapter and could take anything off i wanted. Its a lil bulkier but the 1/2 can do more with less effort. I guess the 3/8 is good for somestuff but really the 1/2 would do all youd need in an emergency offroad plus handle the lightduty stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Both of the tools that the OP linked are 1/2".

Tim A

Adventurer

All the stuff you are saying has been said before. I'm not a pro mechanic whose livelihood depends on my tools. Nor am I a DeWalt "fan boy" I just already have DW batteries. Thanks for the reply.

And for the OP, it was this one i have
http://www.handtoolslist.com/Bare.Tool.DEWALT.DC825B.Cordless.Impact.Driver
I think there are two different ones that look almost the same, one is a bit more expensive, i have the more expensive one... it comes with an LED, thats one of the ways you can tell them appart i believe ( dont quote me on that)

Looks like that one has a hex drive. I think either one you get, they make any attachment/adapter you could ever need? I'd like to be able to use the impact on phillips screws, torx, allen, as well as hex-head bolts...

Rubiclone

Observer
All the stuff you are saying has been said before. I'm not a pro mechanic whose livelihood depends on my tools. Nor am I a DeWalt "fan boy" I just already have DW batteries. Thanks for the reply.

Looks like that one has a hex drive. I think either one you get, they make any attachment/adapter you could ever need? I'd like to be able to use the impact on phillips screws, torx, allen, as well as hex-head bolts...

Yeah i guess its called a hex drive, pretty much a collar you pull forward and when you release it, it locks your bit in place. works well, and is easy to swap between sockets/screw drivers/ allen bits as required. As for the post about DW being crap, it really isnt. own multiple DW tools and never had a problem, it will be plenty good enough like you said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3