"CHUCK" 1998 Chevy Suburban K2500 Build

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Looks like I don't have the G80 so I'll look into lockers as well.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Not recommending a particular vendor but this is a drop in for your rear spider gears if you don't have the G80:

I'm sure Yukon offers one of their "Grizzly" lockers for your application as well, probably about the same price as the Detroit, you'll just have to shop around.

This will be your single biggest bang for the buck mod if your rear is currently open. It will go anywhere in 2wd with the locker that it goes in 4wd now. Winch is the next big mod after this...

mface7

Not recommending a particular vendor but this is a drop in for your rear spider gears if you don't have the G80:

I'm sure Yukon offers one of their "Grizzly" lockers for your application as well, probably about the same price as the Detroit, you'll just have to shop around.

This will be your single biggest bang for the buck mod if your rear is currently open. It will go anywhere in 2wd with the locker that it goes in 4wd now. Winch is the next big mod after this...

@nitro_rat do you know anything about the powertrax lockers? doing some looking and these are listed $100+ less than the yukons and detroit lockers, so just wondering how they compare.

mface7

Just got back from the shop with passed emissions cert...scheduled for the DMV Friday for registration. Then the real fun can begin!

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
@nitro_rat do you know anything about the powertrax lockers? doing some looking and these are listed $100+ less than the yukons and detroit lockers, so just wondering how they compare.

The powertrax will bang and clang more than the real Detroit. They will scare pedestrians when making tight maneuvers in parking lots. I ran one in the back of one of my old 1/2-ton Suburbans. It never really bothered me. When I swapped that truck to 3/4-ton I put the same locker in the front axle where it still lives. I'd do it again.

In your shoes I'd probably pop for the real Detroit though because it's only a $100 difference and the labor is the same. In the 1/2-ton it's $300 for the drop in powertrax vs $700 for the full case Detroit and replacing bearings and setting up gears...

If you want to run some larger tires, you can get a 2-3" body lift, although that's not everyone's first choice usually. Alternatively, you can get a leveling kit (upgraded keys, rear blocks and shocks). I had a 96 2500 Burb with that.

mface7

If you want to run some larger tires, you can get a 2-3" body lift, although that's not everyone's first choice usually. Alternatively, you can get a leveling kit (upgraded keys, rear blocks and shocks). I had a 96 2500 Burb with that.
I was just looking at your thread...how did you do the paint job in that? The flat tan looked good.

I was just looking at your thread...how did you do the paint job in that? The flat tan looked good.

Sanded entire truck down, did some body work and painted with Rust Oleum truck bed coating. It is textured like bedliner. However, if I do it again now that I have an OBS pickup, I would do it with Raptor Liner.

mface7

Sanded entire truck down, did some body work and painted with Rust Oleum truck bed coating. It is textured like bedliner. However, if I do it again now that I have an OBS pickup, I would do it with Raptor Liner.
Yeah I've been looking at raptor liner as well.

mface7

Well, I know the suggestion was locker first, but couldn't pass up this deal:

35x12.50R18
2 Nitto Terra Grapplers
2 Ironman All Country M/T
8/32 tread on all 4
$120 for the set

Now for wheels...
4de0f24f163eee34d6393dd0412509a1.jpg

02TahoeMD

Explorer
A few years back the shop at my job tried putting on a different set of tires vs what was on the opposite axle. In spite of the similar size tire the truck felt all kind of wonky on the road and they ended up replacing the other axle's tires so they all matched and the problems went away. Not sure how well that mixed set of tires will work out for you....

mface7

A few years back the shop at my job tried putting on a different set of tires vs what was on the opposite axle. In spite of the similar size tire the truck felt all kind of wonky on the road and they ended up replacing the other axle's tires so they all matched and the problems went away. Not sure how well that mixed set of tires will work out for you....
I will keep that in mind... Right now it's on different front and back and seems fine but the larger size and mods might exacerbate issues. Thanks for the heads up.

MTVR

Replacing the headlights would be a good idea. Those sun-hazed lenses cause the light to scatter and they also reduce overall light output- it can be blinding to other motorists, but still not help you to see as well as you should.

mface7

Replacing the headlights would be a good idea. Those sun-hazed lenses cause the light to scatter and they also reduce overall light output- it can be blinding to other motorists, but still not help you to see as well as you should.
I am planning on running a headlight restoration kit over them to clean them up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78