CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Looks amazing! I cant wait to see some different angles...
I'll drive it out of the garage tomorrow and take a bunch of photos, didn't have time today, but until then, here's another angle:

EngineCompartment1.jpg

Everything in the engine compartment is in the stock location; and all of the TJ parts have been re-used, including the TJ radiator and the TJ A/C condenser. No modifications, all stock under the hood.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Apologizes in advance for some of these photos, the white/black in the outdoor light is difficult.

GrilleKit1.jpg

GrilleKit2.jpg

GrilleKit3.jpg

GrilleKit4.jpg

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
Luv the retro CJ look here, plus the other retro designs you have. Wranglers at least maintained the basic Jeep look for my tastes in their factory form, and I didn't mind the square headlights on 'em a while back. But I prefer the CJ look you've created.

Don't know if you are open to other idea sketches, and what I have here might be physically possible only with too complicated of rework to the hood & fenders plus whatever holds the front face together........ but if I may criticize the 1st gen Liberty's factory appearance, the thing never quite captured the classic Jeep look to my satisfaction even with the flat hood version. The thing always looked to me like it was really worried about something.

Perhaps if one was to try grafting the Willys wagon look onto the front while retaining some of its other current appearance there, and placing a larger look-alike set of Willys taillights on the back.......

2q812mv.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
JS.... That came out fan-freakin'-tastic! Once TJ/LJ prices drop a bit I wouldn't be surprised to see these conversions becoming popular. All the modern ride with all the classic looks. Win!
77blazerchalet...Uh, sorry man. That LIB with a Willys grille isn't it. Yikes. heehee! Now maybe if that grille were grafted onto an XJ...hmm. THAT could have potential. ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
JS.... That came out fan-freakin'-tastic! Once TJ/LJ prices drop a bit I wouldn't be surprised to see these conversions becoming popular. All the modern ride with all the classic looks. Win!

Thanks! I'm very pleased with the results. All three of my main design requirements have been met:

1. Looks factory. All lines and curves should blend and look natural, as if the TJ and the CJ grille were designed for each other.

2. 100% bolt-on installation. No modifications or "hacking" should be required on the TJ to install the kit. It should be possible to uninstall the kit and reinstall the factory parts so that the TJ is returned to its original unmolested condition.

3. No changes to the mechanical systems of the TJ. All engine compartment accessories should mount to their factory locations, and all parts from the TJ should be used in the converted TJ, including the radiator and the A/C condenser. All of these parts should just bolt up with no modifications.

When I did the test install (the photos of the white parts on my black LJ), all of those things were true :).

I don't know how popular these conversions will ever be though, none of the factory CJ sheet metal comes even close to fitting nicely on the TJ. Without a set of custom body parts like these including a new hood, fenders and cowl panel, the conversion is a huge custom bodywork job.

scramfan01

Adventurer
I love this set-up! Nothing better looking than the CJ front end. This would convince me to buy a LJ. As always, you have another great, well thought out, plan/product. My favorite so far!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Man, that looks sweet. If this were ever available, I'd totally buy it. I love the CJ grille.
Thanks!

A number of my fiberglass projects have become commercial products (or are about to), but I don't have any plans to try to get this one to market - I just don't think there would be enough demand for it to make it worthwhile for me to work with a company to produce it. I'll keep the molds in case I ever want to make some more, but it won't become a commercial product.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Thanks!

A number of my fiberglass projects have become commercial products (or are about to), but I don't have any plans to try to get this one to market - I just don't think there would be enough demand for it to make it worthwhile for me to work with a company to produce it. I'll keep the molds in case I ever want to make some more, but it won't become a commercial product.

:(
Somehow I can picture you setting up a jeep parts/fruit stand on the side of the road. Add these to the shelves next to the watermelons and fresh corn. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
:(
Somehow I can picture you setting up a jeep parts/fruit stand on the side of the road. Add these to the shelves next to the watermelons and fresh corn. :)

The last thing I'll ever do is go into business myself selling stuff like this. The only way anything I design will ever become a product on the market is if some company decides to bring it to market. This is only a hobby for me and that's all I ever want it to be :).

Mekcanix

Camper
Now all we need you to build is a gladiator nose for XJ's and MJ's
:drool:
you do amazing work sir
hats off to you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad