CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
great work as always. Can't wait to see it come together but i'll be sad because that my be the end to my favorite thread :/

Thanks everyone.

Yes, finishing a project is a double sided coin. On the one hand, I get to free up all that space that the parts take up. On the other hand, I like the process. Once it's done, it's just a liability.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Are you going to paint the driveshaft? That's the only thing jumping out at me, otherwise it looks great.
Jack

Last edited:
Progress on this is not going as quickly as I'd like. It should be running and driving by now, but work gets in the way.

We did make some progress last weekend when my dad came up to visit. Our goal was to make the pile of parts disappear, and I think we did a good job of that.

The first part to hit the body was the cowl duct, followed by the heater assembly.

To seal the heater core against the firewall, I cut some pieces of water pipe insulation and slipped the pieces over the nipples. When the core was tightened against the firewall, those pieces of insulation got squeezed between the firewall and heater, creating a nice, tight seal.

And here's the cowl vent grill.

Putting the dash together was a lot of fun. I do like the detail bench work.

There were a few more things that had to go in before the dash. Like the windshield hinges.

Installing the dash is pretty easy, but there was a lot of work leading up to it that doesn't show.

Next up, the grill, fenders and hood.

Installation of the electric fan in the grill.

I spent a lot of time finding appropriate fasteners for this job. I didn't want this to look like a hardware store restoration, with Grade 8 bolt heads sticking out all over the place. Finding the correct hardware was difficult, but McMaster Carr had a lot of it. The bolts holding the fenders, the screws holding the dash, tapered allen torx windshield screws, nuts with locking washers, all of this adds up to as stock an appearance as I could hope for. I even used black plated blunt tipped sheetmetal screws where sheetmetal screws were required. Why blunt? You ever tear the back of your hand open on a screw tip? This is the way the factory would have done it.

Anyway, here's a shot of the grill strut rod and its hardware.

Then the felt grill welting.

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
once again, outsatnding work. I love the detail of getting correct looking hardware, lots of people don't go to that trouble, especially on jeeps, and it makes a big difference IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater