Clone of ARB Intensity LED Driving Light/Light Force 250!

adventr

Adventurer
Alrighty, so quick unboxing review.

First impression was that these are above and beyond the quality that you typically get with Chinese lights. I've purchased about 20x of the Chinese LED light bars over the past few years, and these blow them out of the water. From fitment of the hardware, to finish on the lights themselves.

The way that the hardware nuts drop into the light castings (housings) is very clever. Even more clever is the way that the plastic piece snaps in to hold the nuts in place. Very tight tolerances on the bolt holes in the stainless brackets (around 0.005" clearance). Was concerned that holes wouldn't line up and screws would be hard to get started, but they literally popped into the place, and the screws started by hand on the very first bit of clockwise rotation. It takes good quality tooling to make a casting like that. And good engineering to make those nuts line up perfectly with the holes after being powdercoated.

Anyway, pics:

20141120_173919.jpg

Lights were packaged very well, in genuine fedex boxes. And did I mention 3 day shipping from China??

20141120_174014.jpg

Lights were individually boxed within, and completely encased in foam that has been die cut for tight fitment. I give them a 10 on packaging.

20141120_174021.jpg

20141120_174120.jpg

First shot of the light. It's heavy. Like 7lbs with stainless mounting bracket installed. The mount is very solid though, so I don't expect any movement. Just know that you will need a solid place to mount these.

20141120_174125.jpg

These do come with the polycarbonate lens covers as well. Very strong. Much thicker that the covers that came on my lightforce lights.

Stainless mounting brackets are nice. Looks like a 3B finish on them, and the edges look like they have been hand ground for a smooth edge that isn't "sharp" like it would be if it were straight off the laser.

Material is 11ga.

Optics look good. Definitely different than that of the typical light bar.

The rear of the housing is finned for heat dissipation. Again, solid die cast aluminum. Very stout.

Continued.

adventr

Adventurer
Here is the detail on hardware fitment:

These recesses within the casting receive the 2x nuts for the mounting screws. The larger of the two is a nyloc nut as well.

You can see the hardware dropped into place. Fit is perfect, and no tweaking or adjusting of the nuts is necessary. Just drop them right in, and they're lined up.

20141120_174937.jpg

Plastic piece then presses into the cavity, completely capturing the hardware. The plastic also serves as a washer to ride between the mounting bracket and the housing.

This shows the quality of the finish. It's a very durable textured powdercoat.

Stainless brackets are TIG welded. Looks to be done by hand as well, when you compare the differences between the four welds on both brackets.

And that's that. Lol

I have tested one out by jumping the wires directly to a car battery, and I can tell you that these will make great driving lights. Very bright, and more focused down the road than the typical light bar which just throws light everywhere. I'd compare the pattern to a Euro beam, rather than a spot beam. Again, should be a good driving pattern.

I'll try to get some pics tonight on one shining down a dark road.

naked

Doddste

I'm usually not a fan of knock-offs, but that is impressive considering the price difference. I wish we had some comparison pictures of the internals.

adventr

Adventurer
Was wiring or a switch included and if not what will you use?

Here is a interesting read on LED lights:

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue005/#1

No wiring or switch included. Going to use a relay and tie into my factory fog light switch on my D2. Will be a clean way to control them.

And wow, that is a good article. Seems that the lightforce set was built upon the original ARB knockoff, and the set that I have is the last that they talked about.
They say that the ARBs are made here in the US by Rigid, but doesn't Rigid manufacture or at least partially manufacture over seas? Hmmm.

adventr

Adventurer
Just a few quick night pics. The lens I was using is really wide (11mm) so you can't get a good feel for the distance, but I can tell you that it's much better than the light bars for throw. These pics are with just ONE led light. It was sitting on my core support, so aim wasn't dead on or anything.

4cf279944e6996a661b410f7b8d069e6.jpg

Marker lights only

2f79a2715f16a938feac04a41f20dee1.jpg

Headlights only

48e0562fbe5bf194a4825e2264d46cc8.jpg

Headlights plus the one led light

Then I cranked up the exposure to try and capture the beam shot of the led light. This shows it pretty well. You can see that it's a more focused beam than the bars output. Should be a much better "driving" light.

8d1fd4c2aee87185b9bfaaeda9555d25.jpg

Beam shot with headlights on as well

0859b6561a3bea2f680ec457ce449f11.jpg

Beam shot with led light only

9bee02a8b25f75883be692dec08c3ce7.jpg

Led light only

And this is my homemade bumper that will be housing the lights

fa89b71fdd64fff1c9783dcc97e65952.jpg

e761635f8b13a956f41c7029937579b9.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Can you get a shot of the beam straight up the road say from the inside of the vehicle? As you would see from driving? I am very interested in these. The beam looks much better than any bar I have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater