Closeout Sale Of Remaining JAMES BAROUD Classic Models

JamesC

Adventurer
aloha,
anyone here have a photo on inside a GrandRaidXXL with people in it?... been searching the web for photos. Need to show the wife what it "could" look like with the 2 of us and our 2 1/2yr and 2mo. inside.
mahalo

I can pop it and take some pics. What types of pictures would help you most? The thing is huge. I'm 6'0/182cm.

harbinger808

Adventurer
MY wife and I measured the mattress dimensions and it still seems like it would tight for 2 adults, 2 1/2yr old son that rolls all over his queen size bed and our 2 month old daughter. We've never tried to all sleep in a space that size before and I know that if we don't get good sleep at night, then an RTT is pretty pointless. I know that sleeping in a ground tent is an option but since we plan on doing some exploring in a few months, we decided that being on the roof would be safer in areas that we don't know.
Being that your 6', my wife is about 5'11" and I'm pretty tall at 5'7" do you personally think that we would fit?...
My wife is a visual cue type of gal and that's why we were looking for actual pics of families in their RTT.

I can pop it and take some pics. What types of pictures would help you most? The thing is huge. I'm 6'0/182cm.

JamesC

Adventurer
I will be able to post pics this weekend at the latest. It's absolutely huge for a hardshell tent (or a backpacking tent) but for a growing family of four with an active sleeper it would be a squeeze, I'd guess. Coming from ultralight backpacking tents the difference is a revelation but coming from separate conventional beds will require a definite adjustment of expectations :) Perhaps an awning and annex with cots down below for half - useful anyway when the cots are stored for the day. If you put them in bags instead of blankets I'd also imagine it would help keep people in place.

Desert Dog ESQ

So, I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the closeout Evasion Evo in white. I just wanted to verify that despite being the previous models, these closeouts come with the new ladder design that replaced the rubber/plastic connection with metal connection. For those that ordered, is that correct?

JamesC

Adventurer
Here are some pics. There is far more space than conveyed pictorially.

Feet against the wall how you'd normally sleep and this is the space above our heads. I think a toddler would be comfortable there? This is the arrangement we used for dogs when backpacking.

About 18" below my feet and more below my wife who is 5'4"

I think a baby (or an adult if you consider backpacking tents) would easily fit between you. This is with a very comfortable margin to our sides and is how we'd normally sleep (king at home)

On the truck this morning, good excuse for an air out (howling moon alu awn wallset is an uncanny match BTW)

harbinger808

Adventurer
Many mahalos for the pics James! That really puts thinks in perspective. My wife and I measured our floor but it just didnt feel right. I'll show her these pics and see what she thinks. Looks to me that I could put my son where your hands are (our feet) since that seems to be about 2 feet of space to the wall and no opening to fall out of.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
So, I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the closeout Evasion Evo in white. I just wanted to verify that despite being the previous models, these closeouts come with the new ladder design that replaced the rubber/plastic connection with metal connection. For those that ordered, is that correct?

Yes all tents have had the change to metal hooks and for any that are in the field that would like to make the change can contact us for a retro kit at no cost!

rino

Here are some pics. There is far more space than conveyed pictorially.

Feet against the wall how you'd normally sleep and this is the space above our heads. I think a toddler would be comfortable there? This is the arrangement we used for dogs when backpacking.

About 18" below my feet and more below my wife who is 5'4"

I think a baby (or an adult if you consider backpacking tents) would easily fit between you. This is with a very comfortable margin to our sides and is how we'd normally sleep (king at home)

On the truck this morning, good excuse for an air out (howling moon alu awn wallset is an uncanny match BTW)

Thanks for the pictures and great setup you have going on!

JamesC

Adventurer
Many mahalos for the pics James! That really puts thinks in perspective. My wife and I measured our floor but it just didnt feel right. I'll show her these pics and see what she thinks. Looks to me that I could put my son where your hands are (our feet) since that seems to be about 2 feet of space to the wall and no opening to fall out of.

Yes exactly, just the triangle window at the front so, even for a 2yo, it would be pretty hard to break out :) Maybe a trip to REI to find a tent of similar size for a demo camp/rental test fit? Failing that, a mock up in cardboard?
It really is huge for a hard shell tent. I'd guess if you needed larger it would mean a 2.x soft folder. The 2.4s are pretty huge!

Desert Dog ESQ

I just ordered one of the closeout tents. Rin was great to work with and patiently answered all my questions! I can't wait to get out and explore with my new Evasion Evo!

chmura

Adventurer
Whats the difference between these close out classic models and the new models coming in?

Is the website updated with the new models?

In about 1-3 months I am going to be in the market for a hard shell tent.

Last edited:

rino

Whats the difference between these close out classic models and the new models coming in?

Is the website updated with the new models?

In about 1-3 months I am going to be in the market for a hard shell tent.

Website is currently under renovation with the new models, so not at the moment.

The new models have two improvements over the classic design, the first is they have a 360* screen mesh versus 3 windows on the classic. The second is they have a strut system that locks over center to hold the tent open, versus the classic which relied on strut pressure. This makes the new models easier to close and open.

Hopefully this helps!

PabloVTA

Observer
I have the Grand raid XXL, would love to get the updated walls for it, is there anyway to fab it to work in my shell?
looks as if it's just rivetted in.

If my tent has the plastic ladder hooks, how can i get the updated metal ones? must i pay shipping?

Was there any changes to the ceiling fan? it's like upside down surgery trying to flip the direction by swapping out the blades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater