Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Even with the Prospector...very cool and all, but all it is a spacer lift and some fender cutting. All well of course...AEV badging is worth at least another $10K, yan know? ;):)

Yeah, although the premium may not be due to the brand name (yet), but more so due to "early adapter" pricing. The tooling costs the guy was talking about in the millions for a "simple" part like the fender flares. All adds up. I do like how factory AEV stuff looks. I wish more companies made aftermarket parts that flowed more like OEM than some crazy mad max componentry.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, although the premium may not be due to the brand name (yet), but more so due to "early adapter" pricing. The tooling costs the guy was talking about in the millions for a "simple" part like the fender flares. All adds up. I do like how factory AEV stuff looks. I wish more companies made aftermarket parts that flowed more like OEM than some crazy mad max componentry.

Their stuff is certainly cool looking. Nothing special about the suspension though.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/ram-hd-3-dualsport-sc-suspension-2/#year

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Nice. I'll check them out. They look pretty discreet. Wish they were a bit closer to the west, though.

By the way, if you're looking to lighten things up:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54111451

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54112161
Thanks for those links. I'd consider aluminum transmission/t-case/fuel tank plates but knowing now what I do I would only get steel for the front plate. Mine's 3/16" steel and it's got a pretty decent dent in the corner under the driver side lower control arm that would have seriously deformed an aluminum plate and would have been completely unprotected by the stock splash plate.

So it's one of those things that if you're gonna spend the money and take the weight penalty it might as well be worth it. I don't think every truck needs stem to stern 3/16" flat belly but that front one does take a pretty fair amount of punishment I'm finding. More than I ever had with the old truck. I'd hit that front plate only doing hard trails.

I think the extra few inches of track width coupled maybe with my 235/85R16s makes a difference in how exposed it is under there.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks for those links. I'd consider aluminum transmission/t-case/fuel tank plates but knowing now what I do I would only get steel for the front plate. Mine's 3/16" steel and it's got a pretty decent dent in the corner under the driver side lower control arm that would have seriously deformed an aluminum plate and would have been completely unprotected by the stock splash plate.

So it's one of those things that if you're gonna spend the money and take the weight penalty it might as well be worth it. I don't think every truck needs stem to stern 3/16" flat belly but that front one does take a pretty fair amount of punishment I'm finding. More than I ever had with the old truck. I'd hit that front plate only doing hard trails.

I think the extra few inches of track width coupled maybe with my 235/85R16s makes a difference in how exposed it is under there.

Do you think you will go with 235/85/16's again next tire change? They seem really skinny. And I like skinny tires. I wish they made 255/80/16 size tires. That would be ideal, I think. But I will be going 265/75/16.

DaveInDenver

Do you think you will go with 235/85/16's again next tire change? They seem really skinny. And I like skinny tires. I wish they made 255/80/16 size tires. That would be ideal, I think. But I will be going 265/75/16.
I wouldn't recommend 235/85R16 on 7" rims. I like the tire mostly and I can't complain about how they work. Other than really soft surfaces, powdery sand, deep snow, etc., I get excellent traction. The diameter doesn't seem too bad for gearing or mileage. But I dunno, probably will jump to 255/85R16 next time, though. The 265/75R16 is OK, too. I guess 10.5" wide and 32" tall would be fine. I think it comes down to if I get BFG or Coopers. I might go with MT tires and if so it would be the KM2 or KM3 depending on what I can find. Since BFG are usually under size I think the 255/85 would work.

phsycle

Adventurer
I wouldn't recommend 235/85R16 on 7" rims. I like the tire mostly and I can't complain about how they work. Other than really soft surfaces, powdery sand, deep snow, etc., I get excellent traction. The diameter doesn't seem too bad for gearing or mileage. But I dunno, probably will jump to 255/85R16 next time, though. The 265/75R16 is OK, too. I guess 10.5" wide and 32" tall would be fine. I think it comes down to if I get BFG or Coopers. I might go with MT tires and if so it would be the KM2 or KM3 depending on what I can find. Since BFG are usually under size I think the 255/85 would work.

I've run KM2's in snow some years ago. Probably a good idea to get them siped if you plan on running them during the winter. I am leaning towards ST Maxx (in 32").

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't think any of their stuff is anything special. But just like how they flow with the rest of the truck so much better than other brands. I couldn't stomach paying that much for those components, though.

It is one of my favorite looks for a vehicle...definitely **************. I'll stick with sorta humble Toyota Tacomas though. Wish they would tone down the front of it. The Ranger has similar design cues, but not so in your face like the 3rd Gen Taco. But the Ranger isn't a Toyota, plus the 3rd Gen has grown on me.

Clutch

<---Pass

My snow tires are 265/75/16. The AT's were 32/11.5/15. With the snow tires the steering feels a touch lighter.

Clutch

<---Pass
First time I'm seeing "stealth" sliders. What's the advantage? Is it just looks, or something else?

Got to say I do love the way my Cruisin Off Road sliders look. Angled, kick-out, fill plates. Great protection from both rocks and door-swingers in parking lots, still usable as steps, and look good, to boot.

Me it would be looks and tucked up a little tighter. The other styles would offer more protection. But I don't run them as I don't do anything too-too hard in the truck anymore.

I like the look of square tube over round. More industrial looking then expo-bling to me.

http://www.randyellisdesign.com/DodgeCrewCabRockSlidersBodyArmor

Dodge2.jpg

DaveInDenver

First time I'm seeing "stealth" sliders. What's the advantage? Is it just looks, or something else?
There's a balance IMO on sliders where they eat up clearance unnecessarily when doing mostly roads and mild trails. I can see the utility of what amounts to a reinforced pinch seam if it's strictly insurance from the rare chance you might have dented a rocker panel. But calling them sliders is misleading since they're not something you'd want to use as a tool or count on hitting often. Not sure how I feel about trusting them as jack points unless they're solidly attached to the frame, though.

Clutch

<---Pass
There's a balance IMO on sliders where they eat up clearance unnecessarily when doing mostly roads and mild trails. I can see the utility of what amounts to a reinforced pinch seam if it's strictly insurance from the rare chance you might have dented a rocker panel. But calling them sliders is misleading since they're not something you'd want to use as a tool or count on hitting often. Not sure how I feel about trusting them as jack points unless they're solidly attached to the frame, though.

Yeah, the ones on that Dodge are more rocker panel guards than sliders. About the only thing I would need, basically keep the rockers from getting sandblasted from running down dirt/gravel roads and the occasional too close boulder or tree stump...but not for sliding.

Here is a better example of square tube frame mounted sliders. Which are a little more stealthy looking to me

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/95322-dirtcos-1999-4runner-build-18.html

DSCN1044.jpg~original

I do not like these...too nerf bar looking.

rs11_2lx.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven