Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

tacollie

Glamper
I had standard sliders and always wanted low profile siders. Next truck I got low profile siders and learned about havinh to use the high lift with the doors open. Now I'm back to normal sliders.

Clutch

<---Pass
I had standard sliders and always wanted low profile siders. Next truck I got low profile siders and learned about havinh to use the high lift with the doors open. Now I'm back to normal sliders.

I don't like Hi-Lift jacks...so problem solved. :D Staying away from the stupid stuff helps too.

Went through the "Hey lets see how stuck we can get" phase when I was younger.

tacollie

Glamper
I don't like Hi-Lift jacks...so problem solved. :D Staying away from the stupid stuff helps too.

I don't like hi lifts either. Honestly, I rarely carry it these days. I don't go out to see where I can take my vehicle anymore. The truck carries the toys and sometimes the shelter. Sliders are more a just an in case and to strap things to when at camp. And sometimes a step. They make washing the roof easier. I took them off and will powdercoat them sometime soon. Definitely a doodad at this point. But they were cheap on Craigslist which is weird since the say Slee on them.

phsycle

Adventurer

I don't like hi lifts either. Honestly, I rarely carry it these days. I don't go out to see where I can take my vehicle anymore. The truck carries the toys and sometimes the shelter. Sliders are more a just an in case and to strap things to when at camp. And sometimes a step. They make washing the roof easier. I took them off and will powdercoat them sometime soon. Definitely a doodad at this point. But they were cheap on Craigslist which is weird since the say Slee on them.

Ditto on the hi lift. I’ll probably end up getting a bottle jack one of these days.

https://www.ruralking.com/unijack-4...vvJqi_XhCFOQTe_-f5yHr4n5HM5sWO4RoCNF8QAvD_BwE

I have to admit my sliders are as much for a step to get in/out of the vehicle and help put things on the rack or deal with the RTT. I like them protruding far enough to reward the door dingers in town in the parking lots. While I like the looks of low profile sliders, but they are a non-starter with my Wife, and I don't care for having to almost leap past them when getting out of the truck to avoid getting mud / salt / snow on my pants.

I think I found a good balance with these on my 60:
FJ 60 P1000323_LI.jpg

They bolt on around the frame, and the tubes are welded to a heavy rectangular main tube.

Don't take the availability of decent aftermarket parts for our Toys for granted. I've been searching for some kind of useful sliders for my Colorado, and there is absolutely nothing frame mounted that isn't weld-on. I'm really paranoid about the idea of welding to this frame, given how thin it is compared to every Toy I've owned. I like the looks of the ZR-2 / Bison sliders from GM, but they don't function well as any kind of step and they are factory Generous Motors, so $$$ from most outlets. I'm hoping the aftermarket love grows...

Clutch

<---Pass

That would be nice using it has a step and a place to tie guy lines for the rain fly for the Nest. I can't remember the last time I washed the roof though. :p

I have to admit my sliders are as much for a step to get in/out of the vehicle and help put things on the rack or deal with the RTT. I like them protruding far enough to reward the door dingers in town in the parking lots. While I like the looks of low profile sliders, but they are a non-starter with my Wife, and I don't care for having to almost leap past them when getting out of the truck to avoid getting mud / salt / snow on my pants.

We had side pipes on the F250 for awhile...those were fun if you were wearing shorts.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Ditto on the hi lift. I’ll probably end up getting a bottle jack one of these days.

https://www.ruralking.com/unijack-4...vvJqi_XhCFOQTe_-f5yHr4n5HM5sWO4RoCNF8QAvD_BwE

I had one of those cheap Harbor Fright aluminum floor jacks that I made skid for, but ended up breaking it.

Would like to get one of these for the truck, but I can't justify the cost for how few times I get flats. Usually just plug it to get me home. Seems like I get more flats around town than I do in the back country.

https://sdhqoffroad.com/products/kratos-3-ton-big-wheel-off-road-jack

Found this surfing...not sure if I could do a Ram, but damn! Could live out of this thing. Since I mentioned the Hi-Rise toppers...have been seeing them everywhere around town now.

https://www.dieselarmy.com/features/car-features/gold-mine-kris-devaults-2015-ram-2500-build/

2016-08-26_17-39-57-640x427.jpg

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That would be nice using it has a step and a place to tie guy lines for the rain fly for the Nest. I can't remember the last time I washed the roof though.
I use the Hi-Lift all the time on sliders, way more effective than the outrigger poles for stabilizing the truck & 'Nest. Just a little bit of pressure on the slider and the truck is rock f'n solid, no swaying, no seasickness.

Having steps along the sides is super helpful closing the 'Nest, trying to tuck the fabric in under the lid without working 2 feet over your head, can't see anything, one foot on the tire balancing.

But sliders & Hi-Lifts have been asked to do actual work sometimes on my trucks...

DSCF5176.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer
I had one of those cheap Harbor Fright aluminum floor jacks that I made skid for, but ended up breaking it.

Would like to get one of these for the truck, but I can't justify the cost for how few times I get flats. Usually just plug it to get me home. Seems like I get more flats around town than I do in the back country.

https://sdhqoffroad.com/products/kratos-3-ton-big-wheel-off-road-jack

Found this surfing...not sure if I could do a Ram, but damn! Could live out of this thing. Since I mentioned the Hi-Rise toppers...have been seeing them everywhere around town now.

https://www.dieselarmy.com/features/car-features/gold-mine-kris-devaults-2015-ram-2500-build/

2016-08-26_17-39-57-640x427.jpg

I need to get a better shop jack as well. I also have a HF aluminum low pro jack. Back from my car race days. Which means I have to stack about 3 2x4’s to get enough height. I’ll probably stick with Hf as mine has served me well for the past 12 years.

https://m.harborfreight.com/automot...-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-orange-64200.html

I do like that extension on the one you posted though.

That Ram looks cool. If I were to quit my job and take the family on a tour around the country, that would be an ideal size. Too big for technical trails, which I wouldn’t do with the family anyway, but plenty capable to do some backcountry travels.

Clutch

<---Pass
I need to get a better shop jack as well. I also have a HF aluminum low pro jack. Back from my car race days. Which means I have to stack about 3 2x4’s to get enough height. I’ll probably stick with Hf as mine has served me well for the past 12 years.

https://m.harborfreight.com/automot...-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-orange-64200.html

I do like that extension on the one you posted though.

That Ram looks cool. If I were to quit my job and take the family on a tour around the country, that would be an ideal size. Too big for technical trails, which I wouldn’t do with the family anyway, but plenty capable to do some backcountry travels.

Have decent 3.5 ton shop floor jack, had it so long I forgot where I bought it from.

There was a time I wanted a Mega Cab, the rear passenger area is big enough for me to sleep in. Bikes in the bed...in cab sleeping area...done.

I use the Hi-Lift all the time on sliders, way more effective than the outrigger poles for stabilizing the truck & 'Nest. Just a little bit of pressure on the slider and the truck is rock f'n solid, no swaying, no seasickness.

Having steps along the sides is super helpful closing the 'Nest, trying to tuck the fabric in under the lid without working 2 feet over your head, can't see anything, one foot on the tire balancing.

But sliders & Hi-Lifts have been asked to do actual work sometimes on my trucks...

View attachment 481893

The swaying doesn't bother me, so I don't use the outrigger poles, but the flapping of the tent material in high wind does though.

Clutch

<---Pass
If the 'Nest is a rockin don't bother knockin!

It's not so much a problem when you're solo I guess.

*chuckle*

She has only been with me a few times in the 'Nest...she is waaay too busy now. They made her Department Chair over the summer...so now basically restructuring a program that hasn't been updated in 25 years. Among other things...she was basically handed a mess and she is trying to fix it. So doing a lot more duties than just teaching, honestly don't know how she does it...as that would kill me. Of course it wasn't that long ago I was working 6 days a week 10-12 hour days.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Speaking of floor jacks, those of you in this thread may remember I posted a mangled floor jack that the father in law's Cummins Dodge crushed. When the jack was spat out the handle went awol. Well anyway I found the handle yesterday about thirty feet away in the shop. Good thing no one was under the Dodge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven