Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the 1st gens have nice classic lines. Again, I like the 95-97 the best but 01-04 are nice as well.

I wasn’t 100% sold on the looks of the 3rd gen at first but it definitely grew on me. Although I’d say 12-15 Tacoma front ends look pretty sharp as well. In fact, had I found one for a good price, I’d have gone that route instead. But these dang Taco’s hold their value just too well!!

I swapped my grill out. I don’t like the Pro grills much. I don’t know what the fuss is about. I like the plain old OEM SR grill. Which is what I ended up getting.

Like the 12-15 grills, but never liked the huge fender flares.

Do dig the new lower profile flares and that cheese grater grill.

14063951_1234969709859472_6099689122592476742_n.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Like the 12-15 grills, but never liked the huge fender flares.

Do dig the new lower profile flares and that cheese grater grill.

14063951_1234969709859472_6099689122592476742_n.jpg

I’m glad they went back to unpainted fenders on the 3rd gen (like the 1st).

Too much chrome on that grill. Even my ‘18 with black chrome didn’t look that great to me.

Clutch

<---Pass
Have an ARB on the 4Runner and a Shrockworks on the doublecab... they are all different and each has its pluses and minuses

I like the CBI too, don't think it will take an animal strike like an ARB would.

CBI T3 Black.jpg

49ffd143a6f5f7cefaf4cfeecb97c72d.jpg

I’m glad they went back to unpainted fenders on the 3rd gen (like the 1st).

Too much chrome on that grill. Even my ‘18 with black chrome didn’t look that great to me.

The Sports come with them painted, if I got one...would have to change those out, and go to 16" rims too. Basically make a Sport into a TRD...only way to get a manual V6 in a ACLB.

I like a little chrome... :D

phsycle

Adventurer

phsycle

Adventurer
$39,500 CND which is $30Kish USD. If I am doing the conversion right...not bad, not sure if you get nailed with taxes.

https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/build-price/tacoma

https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/th...port-a-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-canada/

Skewp...that might have to go too.

Is there some obnoxious import fee? And is the speedo going to read in that ridiculous metric system? :D

Ok, skimmed the link. Too much hassle. Buy Merican. Locker, who cares. You can always go ARB later IF needed. 16” wheels are plenty around. You could probably use those 16”ers you’ve got on your Taco right now. As @DaveInDenver said a while back, it’ll give you a slightly wider stance. Just swap the wheels between the two.

Clutch

<---Pass
Is there some obnoxious import fee? And is the speedo going to read in that ridiculous metric system? :D

Ok, skimmed the link. Too much hassle. Buy Merican. Locker, who cares. You can always go ARB later IF needed. 16” wheels are plenty around. You could probably use those 16”ers you’ve got on your Taco right now. As @DaveInDenver said a while back, it’ll give you a slightly wider stance. Just swap the wheels between the two.

Prolly...

Oh yeaaaah, too much hassle.

tacollie

Glamper
I'm sure someone on Tacomaworld would trade you for your hood scoop. I painted my buddies 17' chrome grill matte black. His truck is black. It looks good. His TRD offroad is a manual but it's a CCLB.

phsycle

Adventurer
I'm sure someone on Tacomaworld would trade you for your hood scoop. I painted my buddies 17' chrome grill matte black. His truck is black. It looks good. His TRD offroad is a manual but it's a CCLB.

Wait, CrewCab Longbed + manual? That’s not an available option that I know of.

Clutch

<---Pass

Shouldn't be a problem...if I couldn't find anyone local, hoods are cheap anyways. :) Or just live with it, and put a Nightrider light in it...OMG Yes! (ummm...no)

Didn't think you could get a manual in the CCLB?

Not like I am getting a new truck anytime soon though. Did the steering shaft play fix this morning. So between that, the new struts, balljoints, poly bushings, steering rack and tierods. The truck is feeling really tight. Every time it is feeling a bit worn and tired...I fix something to make it feel fresh again, and it renews my interest in keeping it going.

there is a write up TTORA, there is a simpler way to take the steering shaft out though. Whole job takes about 30 minutes.

https://www.ttora.com/forum/2-early-tacoma-tech/161689-diagnose-fix-steering-play-rattle.html

45561985_10156838277549630_8238859717502304256_n.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
It’s amazing what few new maintenance items will do. I remember doing steering rack bushings on the old 1st gen. Made it drive like a different truck.

You broken 400k yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven