Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
It’s amazing what few new maintenance items will do. I remember doing steering rack bushings on the old 1st gen. Made it drive like a different truck.

You broken 400k yet?

It is definitely worn...but doesn't feel clapped out. My buddy's Jeep XJ had a 150K and that thing felt like it was going to fall apart on ya.

At 384K. So in about 6.5 months it should break 400K.

Clutch

<---Pass
Steering shaft play mod... done it on 4 trucks now... mandatory, IMHO!!!

One of those things I kept on forgetting to do.

"I'll do it next weekend..." next weekend comes and goes...yet it reminded me every time I drove it. I really need to fix that. FINALLY! :p:D

Reactions: bkg

phsycle

Adventurer
It is definitely worn...but doesn't feel clapped out. My buddy's Jeep XJ had a 150K and that thing felt like it was going to fall apart on ya.

At 384K. So in about 6.5 months it should break 400K.

I like those XJ’s. They don’t age well though, like you said. I almost bought one back in the day. Came with a manual, too. Too bad the new ones are all buggered up.

Clutch

<---Pass
I like those XJ’s. They don’t age well though, like you said. I almost bought one back in the day. Came with a manual, too. Too bad the new ones are all buggered up.

Just about every Chrysler product I have ever been in has been a POS.

Even though those AEV Rams are bad fricken ass...man, I don't know if I could do it.

image_21622.jpg

Not much a of SUV fan, but the new Ford Expeditions aren't bad...spied this looking at SEMA pics.

DSCF4778-1500x1000.jpg

Rangers are looking good.

BBPdfKV.img

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Just about every Chrysler product I have ever been in has been a POS.

Even though those AEV Rams are bad fricken ass...man, I don't know if I could do it.

View attachment 482372

Not much a of SUV fan, but the new Ford Expeditions aren't bad...spied this looking at SEMA pics.

View attachment 482373

I’m not super fond of FCA but I really can’t see a better option if I were to go to a slide in camper. Ford and Chev are nice but I like the looks, option package and manual trans in the Ram.

Clutch

<---Pass
I’m not super fond of FCA but I really can’t see a better option if I were to go to a slide in camper. Ford and Chev are nice but I like the looks, option package and manual trans in the Ram.

Don't think the manual trans option is enough for me.

Do like this Ford...not too high...pull off that silly bed rack and RTT. I really don't get that whole bed rack fad.

BBPgto0.img

More Rangers. Think Toyota is going to have some defectors...

custom-ford-rangers-at-sema-2018-1.jpg

DSCF4812-1500x1000.jpg

DSCF4818-1500x1000.jpg

project-nightfall-2019-ford-ranger-sema-2018-2-jpg.1309

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Don't think the manual trans option is enough for me.

Do like this Ford...not too high...pull off that silly bed rack and RTT. I really don't get that whole bed rack fad.

BBPgto0.img

More Rangers. Think Toyota is going to have some defectors...

View attachment 482376

View attachment 482377

project-nightfall-2019-ford-ranger-sema-2018-2-jpg.1309

Yeah, the Ranger will make a sizable dent in Tacoma sales. That’s a good looking truck (looks similar to a Taco I think). I still am not in love with the engine option. Nor all that “overland expo” crap hanging off of them.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah, the Ranger will make a sizable dent in Tacoma sales. That’s a good looking truck (looks similar to a Taco I think). I still am not in love with the engine option. Nor all that “overland expo” crap hanging off of them.

It does look Tacoma-ish, but toned down a bit.

Not crazy about the turbo engine either. Will have to wait and see how it fairs. Well it is SEMA...most of that stuff is over the top. N

Diggin that F250. The stance is just riiiight.

DSCF4837-1500x1000.jpg

Not SEMA...diggin this Tundra too. Have been skimming the Main Line Overland FB page.

24058905_1406017479525106_3819093535880164153_n.jpg

Last edited:

XJLI

Adventurer
I am not a Ford guy but that Wilderness F250 and the Ranger stuff is looking right. I love the current gen Tundras too but can't get over the fact that a brand new truck gets the same fuel mileage as my '05 Silverado.

Clutch

<---Pass
I am not a Ford guy but that Wilderness F250 and the Ranger stuff is looking right. I love the current gen Tundras too but can't get over the fact that a brand new truck gets the same fuel mileage as my '05 Silverado.

The Ford part of me, comes from that is all we mostly had growing up in our construction business. Though they were POS back then, and really haven't improved until recently...jury is still out on the Ranger. Really won't know if they're any good until they get 150-200K on them.

That is my main problem with the Tundra, horrible fuel economy, but you never really hear people complaining about them breaking. That is also my problem with the new Tacoma...all these years later and it is getting the same mpg as my old beater. Probably because that it gained in size and weight...and for what? The bed size is same...towing increased but payload went down. Wish they stayed small and concentrated on gas mileage. 1st Gen size truck should be getting closer to 30mpg.

Why run out and blow $35K+ if it really doesn't do anything better than what I already have?

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Why run out and blow $35K+ if it really doesn't do anything better than what I already have?

Not a TON of performance gains. I’d say two main things are comfort and safety. More creature comforts that may or may not matter. And safety. Not sure how the new Ranger is going to rate. Tacoma seems to lead the midsize in safety. Back in 2011, it was better than the Ranger.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/ranger-extended-cab-pickup

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/tacoma-crew-cab-pickup/2011

Clutch

<---Pass
Not a TON of performance gains. I’d say two main things are comfort and safety. More creature comforts that may or may not matter. And safety. Not sure how the new Ranger is going to rate. Tacoma seems to lead the midsize in safety. Back in 2011, it was better than the Ranger.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/ford/ranger-extended-cab-pickup

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/toyota/tacoma-crew-cab-pickup/2011

The safety and comfort isn't enough for me, as I do hurl myself up and down mountain sides for fun. :D

The new stuff is just a little safer, and a little more comfortable, not much of an improvement. Why I keep on fixing my old crap. Also think that is one of the problems with how horrible people drive anymore (besides their phones)..."ahhh if we get in a wreck the car will save us." I am one of the very few people out there that actually drives the speed limit. There is a construction zone on part of my commute for a couple miles, it goes form 65 to 55...found I have to put my hazards on to keep from people running up my ass. Oh and the dirty looks I get for obeying the law.

Almost to the point where I am going to put one of these on the tailgate...and that's for driving the speed limit too. Not like I am going 10-15 slower than posted.

4311084_zpsmjaw1mlt.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven