Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Speaking of how vehicles look @phsycle ...I do like this...yeah I know...3rd Gen, DCSB....diggin' the Total Chaos 2+ kit, sitting on E-Rated tires. Clean and simple, yet mean looking.

View attachment 481180

I would love a LT kit. It'd make some of these desert roads much easier to travel on. Those tires are what I'm looking to get as well (ST Maxx). Saw them on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Disc Tire Direct was having a $100 sale, plus $70 rebates. Should have picked some up then. It'd been $530 shipped for all four! (265/75/16). I'm going to leave the front alone, except maybe a Warn semi-hidden bumper.

I still love 95-97 Tacoma front ends the best. Plus, the singlecabs came with 3.4L!

toyota1-jpg.51679

Clutch

<---Pass
I would love a LT kit. It'd make some of these desert roads much easier to travel on. Those tires are what I'm looking to get as well (ST Maxx). Saw them on ebay a couple of weeks ago. Disc Tire Direct was having a $100 sale, plus $70 rebates. Should have picked some up then. It'd been $530 shipped for all four! (265/75/16). I'm going to leave the front alone, except maybe a Warn semi-hidden bumper.

I still love 95-97 Tacoma front ends the best. Plus, the singlecabs came with 3.4L!

toyota1-jpg.51679
At one time I almost went with the Maxx's, but can't get them in C-Rated, they have to ride horrible is my thought. Did run Cooper STT's there for a while. Gotta admit I am loving the HTP's (<typo fixed) that are on there now...so fricken smooth...even if they are weenie looking. Gaining 2 mpg's while not much is kinda cool...picked up a little more range...which is kinda nice @DaveInDenver (me eating crow)

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-htp_suv.aspx

I have a picture on my other computer of a black 1st gen RC with an ARB and topper....just something so right about that truck. Will have to look for it when I get home from work.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
At one time I almost went with the Maxx's, but can't get them in C-Rated, they have to ride horrible is my thought. Did run Cooper STT's there for a while. Gotta admit I am loving the ATP's that are on there now...so fricken smooth...even if they are weenie looking. Gaining 2 mpg's while not much is kinda cool...picked up a little more range...which is kinda nice @DaveInDenver (me eating crow)

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-htp_suv.aspx

I have a picture on my other computer of a black 1st gen RC with an ARB and topper....just something so right about that truck. Will have to look for it when I get home from work.

That's the only downside. E-rated only. I am hoping with the additional sidewall, and running them at 32psi, the ride will be ok. I hope to get them soon, so I'll report back.

Do you have ATP's or HTP's. Ones you have linked are HTP's. At 38lbs (for 265/70/16), those are 15lbs less per tire than ST Maxx! Good thing I don't have a long commute.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I run range E 235/85R16 KO2 and they ride fine at 32 psi. I actually prefer the tires to be stiff and let the suspension work. But then again I'm the moron who would cry about losing leaf springs and drum brakes.

Clutch

<---Pass
That's the only downside. E-rated only. I am hoping with the additional sidewall, and running them at 32psi, the ride will be ok. I hope to get them soon, so I'll report back.

Do you have ATP's or HTP's. Ones you have linked are HTP's. At 38lbs (for 265/70/16), those are 15lbs less per tire than ST Maxx! Good thing I don't have a long commute.

Yeah I am C-Rated kind of guy...E's are over kill for me. C's are getting harder to find though.

Whoops sorry...link is correct. HTP's. I was thinking AT3's for some reason and combined the two.

They are 265/70/16. I do like a 265/75/16 better looks, but that is what was on those wheels when I bought them.

phsycle

Adventurer
I ran BFG KO’s in C or D for years. Those were good tires. I guess I’ll try these out and see how they go as all sizes are now just going full load range E. Maybe I’ll like it better like @DaveInDenver. I might regret giving up perfectly good A/S tire’s for LT’s. But the ST Maxx do look pretty good. So do the KO2’s.

By the way. If you really want to extend your range. Some of those 1st gens came with 15” wheels. I’ve seen a number of those split 3-spoke floating around. Pair them with the OEM size of 225/75/15. Something like a Firestone A/S tire at 27lbs!! Wonder what kind of mpg you’d get with those.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I run range E 235/85R16 KO2 and they ride fine at 32 psi. I actually prefer the tires to be stiff and let the suspension work. But then again I'm the moron who would cry about losing leaf springs and drum brakes.

Drum brakes, leaf springs, carburetors, fountain pens, single-action revolvers. All romantic. I don’t mind leafs and drums but wouldn’t miss them either. Glad I don’t have them up front! I couldn’t really care less if they kept the drums but I would love it if it got coil springs. Ride, flex, etc all great!

Clutch

<---Pass
Something so right about this RC @phsycle

Don't know why, but I like those Hi-Rise toppers.

IMG_7949__zps7dad62d9-Version2_zpse25eb87c.jpg

Especially when they have windows in the top front...I know I am weird. Some kinda throw back to the 70's...is maybe why I like them.
Probably leak like a sieve

4535169917_1f3a8e3bbe.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
By the way. If you really want to extend your range. Some of those 1st gens came with 15” wheels. I’ve seen a number of those split 3-spoke floating around. Pair them with the OEM size of 225/75/15. Something like a Firestone A/S tire at 27lbs!! Wonder what kind of mpg you’d get with those.

I have a set of 15's too. They still have 32" Kumho AT51's on them...worn out though. Was thinking of getting a set of the new Yokohama G015's in the spring for off-pavement duty. Don't want to run my commuter set in the gravel. Also have second set of 16's with studded snow tires on them. Those will probably get thrown on here in a month or so.

61ytzguEayL._SY355_.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I have a set of 15's too. They still have 32" Kumho AT51's on them...worn out though. Was thinking of getting a set of the new Yokohama G015's in the spring for off-pavement duty. Don't want to run my commuter set in the gravel. Also have second set of 16's with studded snow tires on them. Those will probably get thrown on here in a month or so.

61ytzguEayL._SY355_.jpg

I know of someone with a land cruiser with those tires. They seem to like them. Personally, I’d go a little more aggressive for an “off-road only” wheel set. I’d probably even go KM3’s or the like. Little loud but not that bad. I just hate swapping and storing wheels so I just have one set. If I did have a large shop, I’d probably do the same. Commuter wheels, Offroad, and winter set up.

That 1st Gen is rockin. I love that. I’m sure you, but most definitely your wife knows who Karl Meltzer is. Aka speedgoat. He drives one. Saw on a video the other day. I hate gold colored cars. But love them on older Toyota trucks.

Go to 1:37

Clutch

<---Pass
I know of someone with a land cruiser with those tires. They seem to like them. Personally, I’d go a little more aggressive for an “off-road only” wheel set. I’d probably even go KM3’s or the like. Little loud but not that bad. I just hate swapping and storing wheels so I just have one set. If I did have a large shop, I’d probably do the same. Commuter wheels, Offroad, and winter set up.

Yeah, thought of that too. Might do a set of MT's, since spring mud here is gnarly! No big shop here, but have a cellar under the house. 15's came on the truck. Wheels were cheap, $50 [all 4] for the 16" snow tire rims. Those 5 spoke were only $300 with tires.

That 1st Gen is rockin. I love that. I’m sure you, but most definitely your wife knows who Karl Meltzer is. Aka speedgoat. He drives one. Saw on a video the other day. I hate gold colored cars. But love them on older Toyota trucks.

Something so right about that black truck.

Even had a Hi-Rise topper too! Yeah don't like gold either.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Yeah, thought of that too. Might do a set of MT's, since spring mud here is gnarly! No big shop here, but have a cellar under the house. 15's came on the truck. Wheels were cheap, $50 [all 4] for the 16" snow tire rims. Those 5 spoke were only $300 with tires.

Something so right about that black truck.

Even had a Hi-Rise topper too! Yeah don't like gold either.

I’ve watched a few of this kid’s videos. Apparently, RC w/ hi-rise is a thing. Oh, to be young and single again. I’d get a set up like that and go on some adventures.

Of course, when the kids are out, I’ll be looking for the adult version, aka Ram 2500 RC, camper shell.

Clutch

<---Pass
I’ve watched a few of this kid’s videos. Apparently, RC w/ hi-rise is a thing. Oh, to be young and single again. I’d get a set up like that and go on some adventures.

Of course, when the kids are out, I’ll be looking for the adult version, aka Ram 2500 RC, camper shell.

In-between Wildernest(s). I did a Roll-a-Cot, no center leg for going over a wheelwell.

https://www.camptime.com/collections/cots/products/standard-roll-a-cot

Have two of them now, found another at a thrift store up the street from work. Was getting ready to order a second one, then spied one driving by, and me being the cheap SOB that I am...

Those Hi-Rise shells work well for bicycles too.

108027919_medium_1494258214.jpg

I like this dude's setup too.

https://www.wildernessshots.com/toyota-tacoma-overlander-expedition/

overlanding-toyota-tacoma-999x666.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven