Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
I miss having an ARB everytime I work on me truck! I've been thinking of getting because people take them serious when they park at the grocery store. I'm tired of buffing scuffs out on mine. Who thinks it's ok to park by feel?! Also deer.

Makes for a great place to set tools and my coffee mug.

Ha ha, think I need it more for city driving than back country roads. Do notice people see it, and think twice about pulling out in front of me, especially peds with their heads in the phones...give a polite "beep-beep" when they step in front...and to see their eyes get big looking at the bumper is quite entertaining.

Almost pulled it off, because I don't like look of it, much prefer stock...but kept it for said reasons.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I noticed the black finish is off of your window sill trim. I ended up replacing mine cause that "powder coat" like stuff just kept separating. Picked up a couple new ones from Toyota of Dallas... I guess my OCD got the best of me on that one.

Yeah it drives me nuts, but the AZ sun has baked the clear coat off...so if I am going to fix the trim, I should get the truck repainted. But why do that with a truck that has 383'000 miles on it and counting? It is awfully nice to run it down back roads and not worrying about the paint. The passenger side bedsides has two big dents in it. One is from a buddy who borrowed it and my trailer and jackknifed into it...how you jackknife a trailer not on ice is beyond my comprehension. Should of known that dumb ass had no clue how to back up a trailer. The other is when I dragged a stump down the side of it on too tight of a trail. Think I just got done telling someone that you don't need sliders...doh!

That method of changing out the coils was cake BTW. Think it took longer to drag out the tools than doing the actual work.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I think the heat a lot to do with it. My doublecab is from AZ; lots of cracking on the trim pieces

I have replaced a lot of plastic and rubber pieces. Seems to have slowed down since moving to Idaho...though might of swapped that out in exchange for rust. Not has bad as back in PA, but I am getting a little here and there. POR15 all the bare spots on the frame from it getting sandblasted over the years by running down gravel roads. Should get under there with some fluid film, before winter sets in.

phsycle

Adventurer
New springs look much better. Although it seems a tiny bit higher than the rear and maybe with cargo you'll be pre-runner bro stance again? :D

Rust....not much to worry about in the west, even with the salt. All of the frame rust Tacoma's were back east. It wouldn't hurt to POR or fluid film the undercarriage, but I'm not going to worry about it. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
New springs look much better. Although it seems a tiny bit higher than the rear and maybe with cargo you'll be pre-runner bro stance again? :D

Rust....not much to worry about in the west, even with the salt. All of the frame rust Tacoma's were back east. It wouldn't hurt to POR or fluid film the undercarriage, but I'm not going to worry about it. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me. :D

Thanks. Just a touch higher in the front, believe these will settle a bit...didn't feel the 882's were going to budge. Gawd they were fricken stiff!

Think I can live with the 881's...no need to go with the 880's. Not planning on it, but if it is still too high...would replace the rears with fresh ones. But the ride is very nice right now.

Rust not much of an issue here, still want to take care of it. No reason to give up on the truck other than severe rust or it gets wrecked.

phsycle

Adventurer
Regarding the ARB--have you hit a deer with it? I've seen a few pictures, but sometimes doesn't tell the whole story. I'm wondering how much damage it prevents AND causes. Can't imagine a direct impact to the frame would have no consequences.

I am currently looking for a rear bumper, as I seem to drag it quite a bit. Still debating on the front.

bkg

Explorer
Regarding the ARB--have you hit a deer with it? I've seen a few pictures, but sometimes doesn't tell the whole story. I'm wondering how much damage it prevents AND causes. Can't imagine a direct impact to the frame would have no consequences.

I am currently looking for a rear bumper, as I seem to drag it quite a bit. Still debating on the front.

IIRC, ARB's have a crumple zone...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
IIRC, ARB's have a crumple zone...
Do you mean the 1st gen crush sleeves? I have had ARB bumpers on my both my trucks. The '91 looked to me to have zero expectation of crumpling and in fact in a rear end collision in traffic the center buckled slightly but otherwise didn't yield. The one on my '08 is said to have been designed with the exception of airbag compliance but I don't see any obvious signs how.
I believe they are airbag compatible as well? Still, all that force has to go somewhere...
I don't know that anyone other than ARB can say what this means. I *believe* it's meant to imply the airbag timing doesn't change. The airbags in a Tacoma will trigger regardless of what bumper you have or even if have none at all. The sensors are mounted to the radiator bib. I can't see how a bumper designed to protect can simultaneously give in a way that is like the factory bumper and crash bar, though, so I don't really understand how that can be.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Do you mean the 1st gen crush sleeves? I have had ARB bumpers on my both my trucks. The '91 looked to me to have zero expectation of crumpling and in fact in a rear end collision in traffic the center buckled slightly but otherwise didn't yield. The one on my '08 is said to have been designed with the exception of airbag compliance but I don't see any obvious signs how.
There is a reason you can't pull on an ARB.
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/sidewinderdotcomdotau/media/bWVkaWFJZDoyNTI2MzEyNg==/?ref=

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I do know the sleeves are a weakness on the 1st gen Tacoma bumpers. There's nothing like that on my 2nd gen, though. The subframe is web of steel that to my eye (flawed as it may be) appears to do the opposite and reinforce the frame horns and the bumper itself hangs directly on the subframe with plenty of fasteners.
Pretty sure its on the arb site. I researched iy looking at fjc bumpers, they have a section of weaken metal designed to collapse, it may look different than the picture posted.

bkg

Explorer

Ran outside and took a pic of the Tacoma bumper on my 4Runner... Not the greatest picture, but this is what I'm referring to re: crumple zones....

Attachments

• 20181029_181855188_iOS.jpg
    20181029_181855188_iOS.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 20
I've never seen crumple zones built into an ARB. ARB advertises they analyze the OEM airbag and crash absorption systems for each vehicle to maintain the OEM performance and function. I believe this includes crumple zones behind the bumper, not the bumper itself. If the bumper itself were to crumple, it kind of negates the value of adding it in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven