Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
Remove lca from lbj. So stoked when I figured that out. The h press always seemed sketchy. Speaking of sketchy has anyone ever stood on the coil and unbolted the shock? I'm asking for a friend......

custom_message_gold_star_with_gold_glitter_texture_star_sticker-r8c6018b4e6f64bd4b7386ba858eb00be_v9w09_8byvr_540.jpg

That second part....*chuckle*

Even found a video for yawl.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Didn't watch the video.
I just separate the lca/ball joint with a jack underneath and then lower the jack slowly. Worked on SLA suspension with coil spring and with torsion spring. I doubt coilovers would be different.

bkg

Explorer
Remove lca from lbj. So stoked when I figured that out. The h press always seemed sketchy. Speaking of sketchy has anyone ever stood on the coil and unbolted the shock? I'm asking for a friend......

just had a first sip of coffee... so bear with me

how the heck does this help get the coil off the strut??

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Doing it that way has always seemed sketchy to me in the abstract, in that it just *seems* like it should be dangerous. Can't really say it's any more so than my clamshell compressor. Perhaps the part about sticking your fingers between slightly compressed coils to guide the center shaft.

Clutch

<---Pass
Doing it that way has always seemed sketchy to me in the abstract, in that it just *seems* like it should be dangerous. Can't really say it's any more so than my clamshell compressor. Perhaps the part about sticking your fingers between slightly compressed coils to guide the center shaft.

Can always use an open end wrench or hemostats for a guide, if you're worried.

tacollie

Glamper
I had a wall mounted spring compressor come apart in front of me one time on the Air Force academy. Nobody got hurt. Undoing the lca feels safer to me.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
IMG_20181026_183257.jpg

This seems almost relevant to this thread. Here's a pic of trying to finish up the balljoint install on the father in law's big Dodge tonight (had to wait for hubs). This is why we don't rely on floor jacks without jack stands. Also why we don't trust equipment provided by father in law's, lol. The heavy Dodge spat out the jack when I was across the shop luckily, still haven't found the jack handle.

Clutch

<---Pass
View attachment 480462

This seems almost relevant to this thread. Here's a pic of trying to finish up the balljoint install on the father in law's big Dodge tonight (had to wait for hubs). This is why we don't rely on floor jacks without jack stands. Also why we don't trust equipment provided by father in law's, lol. The heavy Dodge spat out the jack when I was across the shop luckily, still haven't found the jack handle.

Yikes!

Soooo....is it worth it, not paying someone else to do it? ;):D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven