Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I did find it odd why they wouldn't fit. I thought it was a spoke design. When I found out the Procomp rims with 3.5" backspacing wouldn't fit, I thought wheel design was a big part of clearing those calipers, despite the lower offset.

By the way, the 3rd Gen 4Runner/1st Gen Tacoma rims are 4.625" backspacing. Verified myself.

Clutch

<---Pass
Similar vintage 4Runners could run older wheels, too.

View attachment 480325

Never cared for that style, but for some reason it works on this Taco. Dig the camper too. Think it reminds me of a Blazer Chalet without the top windows

26046946_10156048025459630_1138270896020_0206e7df28983a2c2cce38da833828b3043ec37c.jpg

s-l720-130-620x465-1.jpg

TheCascadeKid

Observer
I've been thinking of getting ST Maxx tires, but the harsh ride is what makes me hold off. Guess I'll be sticking with the stock GY tires for now.

What's the consensus on wheel spacers? I was always leery of them. But I like the stock wheels and wouldn't mind a little wider stance. Ok, for no reason than just looks. :D Bora or Spidertrax are about $200. I've got some Amazon gift cards just sitting there...

I'm running ST Maxx in a 255/85/16 with OME 882's. It's definitely not plush. If it's still this rough of a ride with a second battery up front I'll probably swap out for 881's as well. Since this picture I installed a winch but the front hasn't dropped at all.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm running ST Maxx in a 255/85/16 with OME 882's. It's definitely not plush. If it's still this rough of a ride with a second battery up front I'll probably swap out for 881's as well. Since this picture I installed a winch but the front hasn't dropped at all.

At least it looks like yours is sitting level. While I do have OME Dakar HD's in the rear, they do have about 230K miles on them. So they are fatigued...which isn't a bad thing since they are finally riding a lot better than when they were new. With my Wildernest and a load it amplifies the raised front...it is sitting up so high, the headlights look they are signaling aircraft. Don't think there is enough adjustment left in them to get them somewhat normal. So with that, the rough ride, and not too keen on the CV angles. The 882's are coming out. And to think I was considering the 883's. Because I didn't think the 882's were going to be enough compared to my SAW's.

Nice truck BTW, always liked that style grill and headlights. Was considering doing a swap on my '99 so I could get the old style lights.

Just checked the tracking, 881's should be here by Saturday! Whoo-who! Swap them out on Sunday!

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I did find it odd why they wouldn't fit. I thought it was a spoke design. When I found out the Procomp rims with 3.5" backspacing wouldn't fit, I thought wheel design was a big part of clearing those calipers, despite the lower offset.

By the way, the 3rd Gen 4Runner/1st Gen Tacoma rims are 4.625" backspacing. Verified myself.

It depends on which vehicle as well. 4th gen 4runners have some models that require 18” wheels to clear the brakes.

Tacoma’s really shouldn’t be an issue

phsycle

Adventurer
It depends on which vehicle as well. 4th gen 4runners have some models that require 18” wheels to clear the brakes.

Tacoma’s really shouldn’t be an issue

I think that was the Sport Editions with the larger rotors.

Wish I could find some steel wheels with about 4” BS that will fit.

At least it looks like yours is sitting level. While I do have OME Dakar HD's in the rear, they do have about 230K miles on them. So they are fatigued...which isn't a bad thing since they are finally riding a lot better than when they were new. With my Wildernest and a load it amplifies the raised front...it is sitting up so high, the headlights look they are signaling aircraft. Don't think there is enough adjustment left in them to get them somewhat normal. So with that, the rough ride, and not too keen on the CV angles. The 882's are coming out. And to think I was considering the 883's. Because I didn't think the 882's were going to be enough compared to my SAW's.

Nice truck BTW, always liked that style grill and headlights. Was considering doing a swap on my '99 so I could get the old style lights.

Just checked the tracking, 881's should be here by Saturday! Whoo-who! Swap them out on Sunday!

Do you have your own spring compressors? Hope it’s a painless job since you just did it. What are you doing for the rears? Get new Dakar’s?

Clutch

<---Pass
Do you have your own spring compressors? Hope it’s a painless job since you just did it. What are you doing for the rears? Get new Dakar’s?
Don’t need spring compressors...I know a trick. First person to figure it out gets a gold star.

I like how the rears ride, so no plans to replace. Did put new shocks on last year though. When I first got them I used to carry 20 gallons of water by the tailgate for ballast so they would ride smooth for daily driving.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I think I know your trick but want you to be responsible for explaining it.

Personally, I bought the right tool. Found an old made in USA Branick 526 at the used tool store back in Denver years ago. Haven't looked back. Until my Tacoma anyway, the 650 lb/in coils were too much for it. :-(

bkg

Explorer
Don’t need spring compressors...I know a trick. First person to figure it out gets a gold star.

I like how the rears ride, so no plans to replace. Did put new shocks on last year though. When I first got them I used to carry 20 gallons of water by the tailgate for ballast so they would ride smooth for daily driving.

I use a press.... make a little adapter for the press to hold the eye of the strut and all is good

tacollie

Glamper
Remove lca from lbj. So stoked when I figured that out. The h press always seemed sketchy. Speaking of sketchy has anyone ever stood on the coil and unbolted the shock? I'm asking for a friend......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven