Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Starting at 55-60 MPH going uphill, the Tacoma out accelerated the Chevy when trying to pass. Probably the six speed trans was faster to pick the right gear, where the four speed is a LOT wider in the Chevy.

And not a stock TJ. Bumpers, wheels/tires, armor, fuel, etc.
I wonder if the 6.0 had the crap 3.73 ratio.

bkg

Explorer
Nope, 4,10s. The Tacoma had the power to weight and gearing advantage, plain and simple. It also returned nearly twice the MPG.

I really have a very hard time believing this statement... Sorry, not intending to be offensive, but it doesn't add up.

XJLI

Adventurer
I really have a very hard time believing this statement... Sorry, not intending to be offensive, but it doesn't add up.

You don't have to, because my friends and I all still don't either. I obviously wouldn't buy a Tacoma to load and tow 6k with regularly but its definitely up to the task on occasion. It's not that the Chevy had problems, because it does just fine. The Tacoma also got the same mileage loaded and towing and the 6.0 gets empty. And I'm not a blind love Toyota guy either, I have a 1500 Chevy. It definitely impressed us.

Clutch

<---Pass
After getting my teeth rattled out commuting only 4 days into the new struts...881's ordered. Don't see the 882's settling all that much or getting smoother.

Just after I went to commuter tires, and thinking how smooth the truck was...the 882's pretty much ruined that. Feel every little bump and crack on the road.

phsycle

Adventurer
I've been thinking of getting ST Maxx tires, but the harsh ride is what makes me hold off. Guess I'll be sticking with the stock GY tires for now.

What's the consensus on wheel spacers? I was always leery of them. But I like the stock wheels and wouldn't mind a little wider stance. Ok, for no reason than just looks. :D Bora or Spidertrax are about $200. I've got some Amazon gift cards just sitting there...

bkg

Explorer
After getting my teeth rattled out commuting only 4 days into the new struts...881's ordered. Don't see the 882's settling all that much or getting smoother.

Just after I went to commuter tires, and thinking how smooth the truck was...the 882's pretty much ruined that. Feel every little bump and crack on the road.

spending more money? WHO ARE YOU????

Clutch

<---Pass
I've been thinking of getting ST Maxx tires, but the harsh ride is what makes me hold off. Guess I'll be sticking with the stock GY tires for now.

What's the consensus on wheel spacers? I was always leery of them. But I like the stock wheels and wouldn't mind a little wider stance. Ok, for no reason than just looks. :D Bora or Spidertrax are about $200. I've got some Amazon gift cards just sitting there...

Yeah, not very happy with the ride. Hope the 881's are enough to chill it out a bit. Have a feeling if I did 880's would be too much the other way, we will see.

Wheel spacers...seem like they add unneeded leverage...but that is just me.

As for looks...I hear you. Mine is looking like a lowrider with its' nose up in the air right now. Had most of my camping gear in the bed...had to pull it all out to get it somewhat level. But still has that "West Coast" lean to it. It is pretty ridiculous looking. especially with the street tread 31's.

1102_lrmp_21_o1964_chevrolet_impaladriver_side.jpg

Yeah, not very happy with the ride. Hope the 881's are enough to chill it out a bit. Have a feeling if I did 880's would be too much the other way, we will see.

Wheel spacers...seem like they add unneeded leverage...but that is just me.

As for looks...I hear you. Mine is looking like a lowrider with its' nose up in the air right now. Had most of my camping gear in the bed...had to pull it all out to get it somewhat level. But still has that "West Coast" lean to it. It is pretty ridiculous looking. especially with the street tread 31's.

1102_lrmp_21_o1964_chevrolet_impaladriver_side.jpg
Orale!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck

Nothing wrong with being happy with how your truck looks. You're not pimping it or anything. I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle. I wash, wax and vacuum my truck probably semi-annually, I don't want it to be sloppy or embarrassing.

My aesthetic is "functionally neutral panchromatic", so shades of grey between white and black when choosing colors. If something comes in a good finish I don't refinish until necessary. Such as my bumper, ARB does a good job dipping/priming/coating in their black that I don't think stripping it and painting it white simply for vanity isn't worth it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a moderate spacer. I'm personally trying to collect 1st gen Taco/Tundra and 3rd gen 4Runner wheels now to have a bit less backspacing since I run 235/85R16 super skinny tires that sit pretty noticeably inside the flares.

phsycle

Adventurer
.... I'm personally trying to collect 1st gen Taco/Tundra and 3rd gen 4Runner wheels now to have a bit less backspacing since I run 235/85R16 super skinny tires that sit pretty noticeably inside the flares.

Here's something interesting.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wheel-specs.30754/

Steel Wheel
Part# 42601-AD041 (42601-AD040)
Dimensions: 16x7 -17
Weight: 30 lbs
View attachment 2700032

That can't be right. -17mm offset? (3.33in backspacing) Why do the steel wheels get such aggressive backspacing?

By the way, do the 1st Gen Tacoma rims fit the 05+ Taco's? The 4Runners from the same era don't. I was also disappointed to find out Procomp 51 steel wheels won't fit without spacers (that's 16 and 17").

4Runner 3-Spoke Wheel
Part# 42611-35140 (42611-35130)
Dimensions: 16x7 +16
Weight: 24 lbs
Note: Does not fit 2005+ Tacoma
View attachment 2700106

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
By the way, do the 1st Gen Tacoma rims fit the 05+ Taco's? The 4Runners from the same era don't.

4Runner 3-Spoke Wheel
Part# 42611-35140 (42611-35130)
Dimensions: 16x7 +16
Weight: 24 lbs
Note: Does not fit 2005+ Tacoma
I don't know why that would be the case with those since generally 1st gen wheels fit fine on 2nd gens. Most of the early Taco/Tundra & 3rd gen 4Runner 16x7 wheels have 4.5" backspace and my 16x7 TRD wheels are typical of the 2nd gen OEM with 5.25". It would seem to be an issue going the other way, that 2nd gen wheels would have issue fitting 1st gens without spacers.

gen1wheels.jpg

4runner-on-tacoma2.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven