Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
My 3rd gen is on 34x10.5 KO2s, small lift, 4.88s.

A few months ago I towed a (ballpark) 1600lb trailer from Vancouver, over the Coquihalla highway (very steep grades), to Kamloops, BC. On some of the ascents I was not able to go faster than about 100kph - even in manual shift mode, the truck would not allow me to go down to third gear.

This past weekend I had about 300lbs of furniture in the bed (no trailer) and was again disappointed while driving over the 97C highway from Merritt to Kelowna. Again, some decent grades. One incident stood out: I was in the left lane, doing about 130kph (120kph limit), and there were two vehicles in front of me in the right lane. The second vehicle decided to pass the former and cut me off, forcing me to slow down to 110kph. From that point and until the top of the hill, I was not able to accelerate beyond 110kph. Very, very frustrating experience.

V-nose or not, I don't think I would want to be pulling a large (ie. heavy) enclosed trailer with any frequency, especially over mountainous terrain.

Good to know. Thanks I try and try to like the 3rd Gen but can't bring myself fully.

Ranger is looking good though!

When i bought my'01 GT mustang the previous owner said he ran premium because it would ping otherwise. Long story short, it had Bosch platinums in it which it didn't like. Switched to the cheap auto lite coppers and it was fine after that.

hmmm...I run the spendy plugs in mine. Yeah it pings on the low grade.

Too bad there isn't a way to easily import a Hilux from Mexico.

https://www.toyota.mx/modelo/hilux

There you go. There was guy in my neighborhood back in AZ that had Hilux. It had Mexican plates...just assumed he was just up here working.

tennesseewj

Observer
I LOL'd at those 1st gen Tundra interior comments. The lame interior is my #1 complaint about my 1st gen. Closely followed by the fact that they used chrome mirrors and grille accents on the SR5s of course!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tacollie

Glamper

A few months ago I towed a (ballpark) 1600lb trailer from Vancouver, over the Coquihalla highway (very steep grades), to Kamloops, BC. On some of the ascents I was not able to go faster than about 100kph - even in manual shift mode, the truck would not allow me to go down to third gear.

This past weekend I had about 300lbs of furniture in the bed (no trailer) and was again disappointed while driving over the 97C highway from Merritt to Kelowna. Again, some decent grades. One incident stood out: I was in the left lane, doing about 130kph (120kph limit), and there were two vehicles in front of me in the right lane. The second vehicle decided to pass the former and cut me off, forcing me to slow down to 110kph. From that point and until the top of the hill, I was not able to accelerate beyond 110kph. Very, very frustrating experience.

V-nose or not, I don't think I would want to be pulling a large (ie. heavy) enclosed trailer with any frequency, especially over mountainous terrain.

That doesn't apply to @Clutch. He said he doesn't drive that fast. What altitude were the passes? Sounds like you bought the wrong vehicle. Toyotas aren't known for speed.

phsycle

Adventurer
That doesn't apply to @Clutch. He said he doesn't drive that fast. What altitude were the passes? Sounds like you bought the wrong vehicle. Toyotas aren't known for speed.

Although, it's surprising that he couldn't get above ~60mph and the transmission wouldn't shift down past 3rd. Can't you go to S2? Weird. Although when I had the auto, I'd stomp on it and it wouldn't shift down for a bit. Nerve-wracking when there are cars coming up behind you.

Clutch

<---Pass
I LOL'd at those 1st gen Tundra interior comments. The lame interior is my #1 complaint about my 1st gen. Closely followed by the fact that they used chrome mirrors and grille accents on the SR5s of course!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ford Taurus or 1st Gen Tundra you decide! ;) :D

55414694.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass

Yep. Whatever the speed limit is, that is what I set the cruise on whether it is 25 or 75. I call it my "Self Control" button...took a slew of speeding tickets and a license suspension to get me to finally learn. So the speed limit it is.

Interstate is 80 here, but I'll drive the Semi Truck spped of 70. While my truck will do 80...I don't like doing 80. 63-65 seems to be its' happy spot.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.

Reminds me of an experience i had with my chevy this summer. In wyoming i pulled onto the highway from a rest stop and immediately found myself crossing the continental divide with a crazy headwind while pulling my 9,000# trailer. Pedal to the floor it wouldn't accelerate past 30 mph till i got to the top and could start building some speed/momentum.

phsycle

Adventurer
Highest marked elevation was 1200m.

I've been thinking today and feel like the Taco is down on power from how it used to be. And I've actually stripped off a considerable amount of weight recently. Perhaps I need to clean some filters and sensors, or it's the winter gas having its effect...

When you're in S mode and around ~5k RPM or so, the truck doesn't let you shift lower. It beeps an error sound every time you try. I guess it thinks that it's too close to redline.

Hm, if you were at 5k RPM, going 60mph, you were probably in 2nd gear.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
5k RPM is either 49mph(2nd), 69mph (3rd), or 102mph(4th). Yes I adjusted for 4.88 gears and 33.5" tires. Yes I looked up 2016 auto transmission gear ratios. Yes I'm unemployed and bored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven