Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

phsycle

Adventurer
Those AEV's look nice but after doing ball joints on my father in law's truck this week in about ready to swear off Dodges forever.

Why is that? I didn't know that was an issue on the Ram's. Worst case, just get some Carli's.

You never really hear anyone complaining about parts failing on a Tundra, only complaint is the gas mileage. As I keep on eyeing my neighbor's and his 19' TT.

Well.....there was the LBJ and frame issue. Brakes on the earlier 1st Gen's. Transmissions on the 00-01. 2nd Gen's have had some issues as well. I'm not sure what the issue is with the ball joints on the Ram, but guessing it should be an easy fix.

That said, if I end up with a Ram, I will be praying I don't end up with a problem child. I think the transmission/engine/drivetrain will be stout enough. Electrical issues is what scares me. Which is why I wouldn't mind getting a Tradesman. Doesn't even have a touch screen radio!

Clutch

<---Pass
Well.....there was the LBJ and frame issue. Brakes on the earlier 1st Gen's. Transmissions on the 00-01. 2nd Gen's have had some issues as well. I'm not sure what the issue is with the ball joints on the Ram, but guessing it should be an easy fix.

That said, if I end up with a Ram, I will be praying I don't end up with a problem child. I think the transmission/engine/drivetrain will be stout enough. Electrical issues is what scares me. Which is why I wouldn't mind getting a Tradesman. Doesn't even have a touch screen radio!

Everything has issues, but you really don't hear about guys complaining about the 2nd gens.

Only reason I look at Ram is the manual trans, don't think that is good enough reason. Honestly, a 1/2 ton is more than enough for me. (even for a retirement vehicle) A 3rd Gen Taco should be ok. Pretty sure it could pull a 6X10/12 V-Nose cargo trailer no problem. Which is all I really need. Nothing too fancy, just something to get out of the weather.

Or even my existing truck, maybe a fresh super charged engine and a re-gear. As I can't seem to give up on the ol' girl.

882s with an arb and which provide a lot of lift. I was always surprised how tall my 02 was parked next to other tacos. You know what doesn't have CV issues? Ram?

Looking at the specs of the 882's thought they would provide less lift than my SAW's. Almost went with the 883's glad I didn't. Going to give it a month, if they don't settle to where I what them, will order the 881's. Wonder if I should get the 880's? Or will be that too much the other way?

Frack I hate doing things twice, even if the work is pretty dang easy. And here I hemmed and hawed over what springs to get for a couple months. May of chose wrong...

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Why is that? I didn't know that was an issue on the Ram's. Worst case, just get some Carli's.

It's just the difficulty in replacing them, its a 2004 cummins truck. You have to take the hub/unit bearing off first. That's the PITA as they dont anti-sieze it at the factory and it fuses to the knuckle. There's different tools and techniques to getting it off and I tried them all but sometimes they just dont work. After a week of trying I finally got the hubs off after my uncle inlaw brought over a real torch and we went ape-******** on it with big chiesels and 3 lb hammers. After an hour and a half of solid hammering and several heat cycles we got one side off. After such a beating the bearing is now so hammered that it is unusable and a replacement unit is $200+. The other side was the same story. I'm just kind of put off from dodges now. This is the second time i've done one of these trucks and the first time was only slightly easier. Techs outside the rust belt have it easy.

phsycle

Adventurer
Or even my existing truck, maybe a fresh super charged engine and a re-gear. As I can't seem to give up on the ol' girl....

Whaaa!!?? Jump back! Clutch going F/I??? WOwzers. :D That would be a fun truck. But be ready to fill up on premium.

Clutch

<---Pass
Whaaa!!?? Jump back! Clutch going F/I??? WOwzers. :D That would be a fun truck. But be ready to fill up on premium.

:D I run premium regardless. Some reason my truck doesn't like the low grade swill.

F/I? That means fuel injected to me, which the truck already is. Or is it something different?

phsycle

Adventurer
:D I run premium regardless. Some reason my truck doesn't like the low grade swill.

F/I? That means fuel injected to me, which the truck already is. Or is it something different?

Forced Induction aka Supercharger. I thought you'd be against it, as you are leery of all modern turbo engines.

Clutch

<---Pass
Forced Induction aka Supercharger. I thought you'd be against it, as you are leery of all modern turbo engines.

Ahhh...sorry, not enough coffee in me yet. quarter til 1:00...looks like the rest of the day isn't going to get much better. ;)

Not really that against it...be one way to keep the manual trans and keep it all Toyota, and spending very little money in the grand scheme of things. V8 swap would probably be better...but really don't like swaps. Easiest thing would be to get a 1st Gen Tundra...then you loose the manny. It is the the rabbit hole of trying to fix one issue, and 3 more arise.

I would totally be into a 1st Gen 4.7 Tundra manual (if it existed), even though the interior looks like it is out of an old Ford Taurus....

phsycle

Adventurer
Ahhh...sorry, not enough coffee in me yet. quarter til 1:00...looks like the rest of the day isn't going to get much better. ;)

Not really that against it...be one way to keep the manual trans and keep it all Toyota, and spending very little money in the grand scheme of things. V8 swap would probably be better...but really don't like swaps. Easiest thing would be to get a 1st Gen Tundra...then you loose the manny. It is the the rabbit hole of trying to fix one issue, and 3 more arise.

I would totally be into a 1st Gen 4.7 Tundra manual (if it existed), even though the interior looks like it is out of an old Ford Taurus....

Interior is horrid. Hate the column mounted shifters as well, although I do prefer bench seats. Earlier Tundra's came with a manual... but 3.4L . :D

Clutch

<---Pass
Interior is horrid. Hate the column mounted shifters as well, although I do prefer bench seats.

I can't stand that interior. Should just give up on life at that point and wear sweat pants all of the time. :D

Earlier Tundra's came with a manual... but 3.4

That doesn't solve anything! :p

Some of the later 1st gens models had the 4.0. Extremely rare...but at that point, buy a 2nd gen Tacoma.

Ranger is looking good.

Last edited:

GB_Willys_2014

Oh man. A 1st Gen Tundra 4.7 5 speed would have been perfection.

I miss my 1st Gen terribly, even though it had an automatic, and I don't like automatics. Damn rust ... sigh :(

To answer the OP's questions, I would take the 20k and try to find a PW with a G56.

:)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.

When i bought my'01 GT mustang the previous owner said he ran premium because it would ping otherwise. Long story short, it had Bosch platinums in it which it didn't like. Switched to the cheap auto lite coppers and it was fine after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven