co2 tank to air tank?

anybody do this? my father in law got me a co2 tank with an air chuck at an auction for $5. nobody around here will fill it with co2 since i didn't buy it new/have a bill of sale. what do i need to convert this 20 lb. co2 tank to where i can fill it up off my air compressor and use it for portable air? mainly for filling tires but if i could use air tools that would be even better. thanks

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Since it has an air chuck already, you can fill it from any compressor. Just need a hose with 2 male ends to connect. You can fill the tank to whatever PSI the compressor kicks out.

The advantage of CO2 is the pressure. With an ordinary compressor, you'll get 120-150 psi. With CO2, you get in the 1200 psi range.

Any high pressure tank, like a CO2 tank, will have a date on it. Once that date has passed, it's not supposed to be filled to max pressure. Which is probably why no one will fill it with CO2.

YukonRob

Adventurer
You probably could fill it, but I don't think you'd be satisfied with the results. The volume of air you'd be able to store would be relativly low.
The CO2 in a tank is in a liquid state under pressure, and 'boils' to gas with drop in pressure. This allows a much greater equivilent volume of gas to be stored in the cylinder. One downside is that the cylinder needs to be used in an upright position in order to keep liquid out of the regulator.
As was mentioned - check the date stamp on the tank - I think they need to be re-certified every two years.

trump

Adventurist
I think they need to be re-certified every two years.

3 for composite tanks. 5 for metal.

Edit: fixed the composite. Also composite have a maximum service life of 15 years. Metal can be retested indefinitly.

Last edited:

buckshot500

Observer
I use an old Freon cylinder, from the Early 1980's. I imagine if it can hold 150 PSI, then that CO2 Cylinder should work just fine for that pressure.

One thing though, you might need a one way check valve if you want a male air chuck fitting on the cylinder.

I had one from someplace, to use on mine.

the tank has a co2 regulator on it. where the co2 would normally come out of the regulator is where the air hose is hooked up. i should have been more clear in my first post. the hose coming off the regulator goes to a chuck that goes on the tire valve stem. not a regular male or female chuck. if you can picture a normal co2 tank with regulator and 2' piece of hose hanging from it with a tire chuck on the end, that is what i have. i guess my question is what do i need to replace the co2 regulator with on top of the tank in order to fill it with co2?

air gas and tractor supply are the only 2 welding gas places around me. neither will fill or exchange.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Bring it to a local restaurant beverage supplier and most will fill it w/ liquid co2 so long as the tank certification is current.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Where is "here"? Perhaps one of us can recommend a re-filler in your local that can/will hydro-test if needed. In SLC for example we have a half dozen places that can do it, some do the hydrotesting on site so its a non-issue to have an older random bottle so long as it passes the test.

bat

Explorer
In San Diego I walk up to Airgas and give them my empty tank and they give me a filled tank back $20.00. Unless you have become attached to this tank just do an exchange and forget about it.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
In San Diego I walk up to Airgas and give them my empty tank and they give me a filled tank back $20.00. Unless you have become attached to this tank just do an exchange and forget about it.

The local beverage place (Carbonic in Santa Clara, CA) refilled my 15 lb tank for $12 and right there on the spot. They will also sell you a full setup if you don't have your own tank/regulator. I bought mine from them for $170.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333