Cole Hersee smart battery isolator

tmandell

I have a small problem with my cole hersee smart battery isolator.

First a little background about the install. During the winter I am in another province for school and I leave my truck at home, this means my truck does not get driven as often as I would like and the battery often goes dead. So this summer I installed the 200A smart battery isolator and a new battery, I moved the old one to the axillary battery location. The intention was that if the main battery is a little low or dead you can just press a button on the dash and do a self boost. To ensure this worked even when the main battery was dead I connected the purple boost wire to the auxiliary battery. With all of my testing during the install and afterwards it appeared to work perfectly.

Now on to the problem. Yesterday my brother was driving my truck because his car needed some work done to it. Not surprisingly he left a load on and the main battery was totally dead when he got in it today. He tried the boost button and the battery isolator would not connect the auxiliary battery to the main. After testing the voltages with a multimeter the main battery was completely dead and the auxiliary battery was fully charged.

Obviously the battery isolator did its job and prevented both batteries from being killed, I can not understand though why it was not able to boost the truck. When installing the isolator I did not test the self boost with a dead main battery. I did however test it with the isolator disconnected from the main battery and it worked perfectly.

Does anyone has some experience with these battery isolators that could give some advise on why this might have happened.

Thanks

Terry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk