Coleman Addiction.....for pesants. ha ha ha!

ChadHahn

Adventurer
$30 seems like much too much for that stove. I wouldn't pay $30 unless the stove looked like new and was in a box. Go to thrift stores. I often find good ones for less than $20.

Chad

ChadHahn

Adventurer
It doesn't look that old to be in such poor shape. I don't know if you know that the month and year it was built is stamped on the bottom of the stove.

Chad

Retired Tanker

Explorer
It doesn't look that old to be in such poor shape. I don't know if you know that the month and year it was built is stamped on the bottom of the stove.

Chad

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Note that I'm not looking to become a collector, but to replace an existing stove that isn't meeting my expectations. So, while $30 may be a little too much, spending hours and hours looking for a $15 savings isn't appealing either. If I get a stove that I can get working, then that's a win.

I'll post up the date when I get the chance.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
In the collector world, at least, stoves aren't worth much. Lots of people get them for free from people cleaning out their garages. I paid $5 for a 413 in great condition last year.
In terms of using them while camping, I'll have to admit that the propane stoves are much easier to use. As others have said, though, fine adjustment of the flame is not easy and on some models it's downright impossible. I'm not sure where modern Coleman propane stoves are made, I'm assuming they're all made in the same Chinese factory these days.
We have a camp chef propane we use when camping. I'd like to start using white gas but between the hassle and potential mess of carrying fuel and the more difficult operation (requiring pumping up the tank) I don't think I'd be able to sell the wife on the marginal benefits of white gas vs. propane.

crusaderJK

Adventurer

Chad
Yeah, that thing looks like someone ran out of fuel and used it like a charcoal grill....

hyperboarder

Adventurer
FWIW that looks like a 426D. Mid 70's probably. I find the "good condition" comment hilarious. They're all rebuildable, but that one would be a lot of work to clean up. I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it personally.

Do you need the 3 burner? Or can you do with the bigger 2 burner (413)?

ETA - Good overview of teardown and cleanup: http://www.oldtowncoleman.com/tech/re2stovea.htm

MrWesson

Adventurer
Picked up a thermoelectric cooler from walmart for $49. Its known for being a power hog so I plan on modifying it with brushless fans and a temp control... works great as is.

Have quite a few of their flashlights and they hold up really well.

crusaderJK

Adventurer
Though it is not Coleman, I found two nice "stoves".
Have yet to test them.
IMG_20161025_2315559.jpg

I also am slowly getting my collection of "misfit colemans" together. Means i have a soft spot for lanterns that happen to be the "wrong" color.
IMG_20161025_2317514.jpgIMG_20161025_2341439.jpg

What GPA preferences do you have?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Though it is not Coleman, I found two nice "stoves".
Have yet to test them.
View attachment 372354

I also am slowly getting my collection of "misfit colemans" together. Means i have a soft spot for lanterns that happen to be the "wrong" color.
View attachment 372355View attachment 372356

What GPA preferences do you have?

Looks like a red Canadian 220 on the right. What are the other two red ones? I see you're in Switzerland, are these European models?
I have a green 200a also - love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater