Coleman Stove Mod?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I switch to this for my gas stoves.
http://www.amazon.com/StanSport-185...6777467&sr=1-1&keywords=propane+stove+adapter

I know you want to keep using white gas, just throwing it out there....

Another vote for the propane converter. I use one with my Dual Fuel 424, making it a "tri-Fuel" stove. I like propane for the convenience, especially early morning light-off for coffee, but I also have a soft spot for the liquid fuel for long-term fuel availability, etc. I vary which stove I bring based on meal choices anyhow...

Well, now that is amazing. I don't even need that and I think I should order one. Just in case...

mowerman

Adventurer
The valve in the top of the fuel can is a great idea, if the pump mechanism were to fail, but I wonder if over time the fuel wouldn't rot the valve seal.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
It very well could damage the seal. I carry about 8 spare valves for tires though, and the same type of valve is used to test port fuel rails on engines, so I'm sure I could find a fuel resistant one...

sadly kids and life have kept me from camping the last few months, so I haven't tried this yet..

doug720

Expedition Leader
One additional bit of information about fuel choices. When you use propane above 8,000', propane starts to have issues, and by 10,000, propane is really poor fuel choice. This may not apply to you, but something to consider.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Haven't had propane nor butane (lighter) problems at altitude yet!
Our local favorite camp was just below 10K feet, according to the map.
Some "oxygen depletion sensor" devices can have issues (there is no sensor they rely on the heat/size of the pilot flame); as often as not another example of the same model appliance will work.
Enjoy!

TJRICE3333

I would assume the answer is yes, but, have you tried getting a new Coleman pump for it? I found my dad's old stove in his garage about 10 years ago (at that time it was about 30 years old) and it worked, but it took forever to get the tank up to pressure. I stopped at Gander Mountain and spent less than $10 on a new pump and it's working great again!

NatersXJ6

Explorer
yes, the pump was recently replaced, but thank you for the suggestion.

my issue is more about how the pump is designed to be used with a thumb covering the hole. it is very difficult for me.

doug720

Expedition Leader
For reference:

From Coleman site - http://www.coleman.com/chooseafuel/

What type of fuel is right for you?

How do you know if you should buy a propane stove or a Dual Fuel™ model? A liquid fuel lantern or a canister style? The first question that you have to answer is what type of fuel to use. There are differences in cost, convenience and performance with each fuel type. We'll walk you through the respective advantages so that you can make an educated purchase decision. But the most important consideration is how you'll be using the appliance you're thinking of buying. Will you be heading into remote high country? Pitching a tent at a campground in a national park? Or just heading out for the weekend on a local trail? To a certain extent, how you'll use the appliance will dictate which you should buy.
Propane

More campers use this fuel than any other, probably because of convenience and ease of use. No pouring. No priming. Just attach the fuel cylinder to the appliance and you're in business. Coleman equipment is pressure-regulated at 15 psi (pounds per square inch) to ensure steady output throughout the life of the cylinder. Propane offers great overall reliability, but be aware that it operates less effectively at subfreezing temperatures than liquid fuels. Cold will cause a pressure drop in the cylinder and output will diminish as a result. Cylinders weigh two or three pounds, so propane isn't the lightest weight option. Nor is it the least expensive. However, if you tend to set up camp and stay for days or weeks, investing in a refillable bulk tank will significantly reduce the overall cost of fuel.
Main advantages: convenience and availability.
Coleman® Fuel

Also called white gas or camping fuel, you can't beat it for camping in the winter or at high altitude. Burns hot even at subzero temperatures. And unlike butane and propane, output doesn't falter as temperatures drop. Coleman® Fuel is very refined, and burns hotter and cleaner than other liquid fuels. It's relatively inexpensive and not difficult to come by. By carrying the fuel in small refillable fuel bottles, you don't have the disposal considerations you do with empty propane or butane cylinders. But unlike appliances that use those fuels, you do need to fill liquid-fuel appliances. And for steady output, they need to be pumped occasionally to maintain pressure within the fuel tank.
Main advantages: heat output and economy.
Butane/Propane Fuel

Butane/Propane mix canisters are lightweight, resealable, and easily connect to stoves and lanterns. Most canister appliances are lightweight and simple to use, so if you are a backpacker who counts ounces and appreciates convenience this fuel is for you. Downsides are that canisters can't be recycled, and in subfreezing temperatures, the fuel does not perform well. Or at all. Cold temperatures affect the pressure in the canister, so performance is best in mild to moderate conditions, You'll find this fuel in specialty and sporting goods stores under several brand names.
Main advantages: convenience and light weight.
Unleaded Gasoline

Our DualFuel™ appliances are made to accommodate automobile fuel. Coleman's modified valving even allows for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels. And it's available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove. Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of your appliance by using purer Coleman™ Fuel most of the time.
Main advantages: availability and low cost.
Kerosene

Used less now that other fuel options are available, kerosene is economical to use, readily accessible and dependable. Disadvantages are that it's smoky and has a strong smell. Also, kerosene appliances do require priming with a preheat fuel.
Main advantage: low cost.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
One additional bit of information about fuel choices. When you use propane above 8,000', propane starts to have issues, and by 10,000, propane is really poor fuel choice. This may not apply to you, but something to consider.

Interesting you say that. I use a Camp Chrf propane stove that I've used several times at high altitude, including a few times at about 10k. Never had a problem.

alia176

Explorer
I can't wait to see how this works out, sounds really cool. It'd be good to know how much pressure is built up using the built in pump so that you don't over pressurize the tank, I'm guessing probably less than 5psi. At least now, the OP can tell us what the actual pressure is after screwing in the new fancy cap, say after ten pumps or so.

Zeep

Adventurer
For reference:

From Coleman site - http://www.coleman.com/chooseafuel/

What type of fuel is right for you?

How do you know if you should buy a propane stove or a Dual Fuel™ model? A liquid fuel lantern or a canister style? The first question that you have to answer is what type of fuel to use. There are differences in cost, convenience and performance with each fuel type. We'll walk you through the respective advantages so that you can make an educated purchase decision. But the most important consideration is how you'll be using the appliance you're thinking of buying. Will you be heading into remote high country? Pitching a tent at a campground in a national park? Or just heading out for the weekend on a local trail? To a certain extent, how you'll use the appliance will dictate which you should buy.
Propane

More campers use this fuel than any other, probably because of convenience and ease of use. No pouring. No priming. Just attach the fuel cylinder to the appliance and you're in business. Coleman equipment is pressure-regulated at 15 psi (pounds per square inch) to ensure steady output throughout the life of the cylinder. Propane offers great overall reliability, but be aware that it operates less effectively at subfreezing temperatures than liquid fuels. Cold will cause a pressure drop in the cylinder and output will diminish as a result. Cylinders weigh two or three pounds, so propane isn't the lightest weight option. Nor is it the least expensive. However, if you tend to set up camp and stay for days or weeks, investing in a refillable bulk tank will significantly reduce the overall cost of fuel.
Main advantages: convenience and availability.
Coleman® Fuel

Also called white gas or camping fuel, you can't beat it for camping in the winter or at high altitude. Burns hot even at subzero temperatures. And unlike butane and propane, output doesn't falter as temperatures drop. Coleman® Fuel is very refined, and burns hotter and cleaner than other liquid fuels. It's relatively inexpensive and not difficult to come by. By carrying the fuel in small refillable fuel bottles, you don't have the disposal considerations you do with empty propane or butane cylinders. But unlike appliances that use those fuels, you do need to fill liquid-fuel appliances. And for steady output, they need to be pumped occasionally to maintain pressure within the fuel tank.
Main advantages: heat output and economy.
Butane/Propane Fuel

Butane/Propane mix canisters are lightweight, resealable, and easily connect to stoves and lanterns. Most canister appliances are lightweight and simple to use, so if you are a backpacker who counts ounces and appreciates convenience this fuel is for you. Downsides are that canisters can't be recycled, and in subfreezing temperatures, the fuel does not perform well. Or at all. Cold temperatures affect the pressure in the canister, so performance is best in mild to moderate conditions, You'll find this fuel in specialty and sporting goods stores under several brand names.
Main advantages: convenience and light weight.
Unleaded Gasoline

Our DualFuel™ appliances are made to accommodate automobile fuel. Coleman's modified valving even allows for differences between summer and winter blends. At 1/10 of the cost of propane, unleaded gas is the cheapest of all appliance fuels. And it's available everywhere, of course. In an emergency, you can siphon gas from the tank of your RV or car to use in a DualFuel lantern or stove. Although it's the most economical fuel to use, you'll extend the life of your appliance by using purer Coleman™ Fuel most of the time.
Main advantages: availability and low cost.
Kerosene

Used less now that other fuel options are available, kerosene is economical to use, readily accessible and dependable. Disadvantages are that it's smoky and has a strong smell. Also, kerosene appliances do require priming with a preheat fuel.
Main advantage: low cost.

Now that modern unleaded gas is highly refined for the micro ports in modern fuel injected vehicles. Is it a viable choice for older lanterns & stoves?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Now that modern unleaded gas is highly refined for the micro ports in modern fuel injected vehicles. Is it a viable choice for older lanterns & stoves?

It still burns a bit more dirty than Coleman fuel, but general consensus is that you can do it. See this excellent article on some long-term travellers who use gasoline exclusively:
http://www.landcruisingadventure.com/the-gasoline-coleman-stove/

The trick for them seems to be a dash of fuel injector cleaner with every tank of gas, along with a slightly more frequent cleaning/maintenance regimen.

Kevin108

Explorer
my issue is more about how the pump is designed to be used with a thumb covering the hole. it is very difficult for me.

I wonder if you could swap in a pump from a modern Northstar? They don't have the thumb hole!
2015-12-29%2011.44.46.jpg

I'll be working on getting an answer. I too am a fan of Coleman stuff.
2015-10-11%2011.11.25.jpg

As for which fuel to use, Coleman fuel is best. The only additive is a rust inhibitor, which will protect your fount or tank if you store them full of fuel. Because of this, Coleman fuel doesn't varnish or age. Over the summer I opened a gallon can from the mid 90s, which still looked and smelled identical to the "fresh" stuff.

The parts in your stoves or lanterns aren't particularly cheap and replacement requires some degree of knowledge and mechanical ability. There is more money to be saved in extending the life of those components than in burning gasoline in your GPAs.

Last edited:

Zeep

Adventurer
If I were to use unleaded fuel, I would definitely drain for storage.
Nice collection BTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3