Colorado FWC Ute Flatbed Build

TVoverlander

Hi All,

I recently took possession of a new FWC Ute Flatbed Camper and had it installed on my modified 2011 Tacoma.

Here is how the Tacoma was built up over the past several years:

Base Truck: 2011 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Access Cab
- White
- V6 – Automatic
- Cruise Control
- Backup camera in mirror
- Tow Package
- Long Bed

Additions:
- 3M clear wrap on front hood and side panels.
- Dynamat noise barrier inside cab area and firewalls.
- Console Vault with combination lock
- Weather Tech floor mats driver/passenger
- Toyota Seat covers

Modifications:
- ARB Air lockers – Rear
- Old Man Emu 2” lift kit
- Warn 10,000 lbs. wind w/synthetic rope
- ARB Front Bumper
- IPF Super Rally Spot Lights
- A&A Topper w/”Windoors”
- Rhino Rack with tie down eyelets and shovel holder
- ARB Outback Drawers with one slider (For Fridge)
- Slee Offroad rock sliders
- Custom wheels with LT255/85/R16 BFG ATs
- LED Rear Spot Lights
- ARB Air Compressor – CKMTA12
- Timbren – Tortun4 bump stop kit + OME extra leafs
- 12 v plug in bed of truck for fridge/freezer (fused)

Outback Drawers.jpgWindoors and slider drawer.jpg

Original configuration was set up to handle the weight of a roof top tent but I decided against the tent after doing much research here on Exped Portal.
After researching the options for campers, both hard sided and pop - up, I went with the Four Wheel Camper Flatbed Fleet model deciding that the slide in model was just too small for long trips.

Once the camper was ordered, the next task was to order and install the Ute flatbed which came out of Oz via Seattle and was installed locally by High Country Performance 4x4 of Englewood, Colorado. This was only their second install of the Ute flatbed, the first one being days earlier on a F150!

The flatbed comes with, well, only the flatbed. I then had High Country 4x4 install a bumper and lighted license plate holder in order to be road legal. Another modification had to be made with the stock muffler which was now hitting the Ute mud flap. This was an easy fix and the muffler was extended away from the flap.

I believe the consensus of the install crew was that the fuel filler was the crux of the install as there are not a lot of options to locate the filler and the stock fuel lines.
After a bit of experimentation with the angle of the fuel lines and the use of a heavy duty zip tie, the fuel filler works well in it's new home located in the left hand corner of the bed.

After 14 weeks of waiting for the FWC flatbed to be built and delivered, the day finally arrived with the install taking a full day and a half by Chris at Rocky Mountain Four Wheel Camper in Denver.

Moab Utah was a great trip to test out how well, or poorly, the Tacoma would handle the weight of the camper fully loaded down with food, water, mountain bikes and climbing gear, plus two passengers. The Tacoma performed better than I had expected and has no problem handling the added weight. Oh, did I mention the Super Charger that was installed to boost the power output? It works very well and I'm quite pleased at how everything turned out.

Next Adventure - Baja!

DSC00678.jpgIMG_0570.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00684.jpg
    DSC00684.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

LilPoppa

Adventurer
Cool. Do you see yourself taking the camper off to use the truck bed, or is it going to be permanently attached to the truck?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Nice.

I still think the 4WC is the perfect layout. Definitely on my long-term "dream" list.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The more I see the flat bed fwcs the more I like them. Thanks for sharing. Any idea if the flat bed is lighter than the stock bed?

TVoverlander

I believe the flatbed is around the same, maybe slightly more with the sides. Removing the sides reduces the weight by about 100 lbs.

TVoverlander

The camper is held down by four bolts and my intention is to remove it when I need the truck as a "truck" and of course, remove for long term storage.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Congrats! If you decide to re-gear down the road, I promise you won't hate the way it drives with 4.56 gears and a supercharger on those 255s. ;)

The flatbed fleet has a lot more space than my forward dinette fleet. If I had planned on having a second kid I think I would have gone that route too.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Congrats! If you decide to re-gear down the road, I promise you won't hate the way it drives with 4.56 gears and a supercharger on those 255s. ;)

The flatbed fleet has a lot more space than my forward dinette fleet. If I had planned on having a second kid I think I would have gone that route too.

I've been thinking a bunk bed across the dinette would'nt be difficult for a two kid set up in the flat bed.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I absolutely love the look of a flatbed with a camper on it. Especially the UTE. Nice truck!

TVoverlander

The flatbed itself is from UTE Ltd, out of Australia and shipped to their dealer in Seattle. They have been making flatbeds for the Hilux for years so I knew the bed would fit well on the Tacoma. I must admit it is nice to have a full flatbed when the camper isn't on, makes for a lot of hauling room.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I'd gladly accept a ton more photos of your truck and camper whenever you have time to post them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk