Comanche/MJ and Wildernest build

Flingshot

I thought I would start a build thread here and I would love input from all of you as I go along. I am no stranger to building/restoring cars and that sometimes gets me in trouble as I have seen complete basket cases become show winning street rods. I tend to see automobiles and say to myself "I can fix that".

It would be much easier to start with something a little nicer but what fun would that be, right?

The budget for this build will be $8000, including some of the onboard equipment I plan to buy. That being said, I will need to buy a lot of my parts used and look for deals throughout my build.
Completion time is 1 year from today.

I will be driving and wheeling/camping in this vehicle during most of the build so I need to plan each project (with exeption of body and paint work) so that I will be road worthy the next morning. Your prayers are appreciated.

The purpose:

I would like to say I was heading to Baja or South America but most likely this rig will be used exploring the Rockies and some of the SW united States. We'll see what happens after the kids are grown. I have 3 daughters and the youngest is 9, She thinks MJ stands for "Man Jeep".

The Inspiration: Ooh Baby!

PicasaSync.jpg

The foundation:

1987 Jeep Comanche 4x4, 4.0, disco d30, d35 in the rear, AX-15, no a/c, bastard lift netting around 2'', manual windows and locks, dents on all four corners but it runs great. I would not hesitate to jump in and drive to the coast right now. Here it is 3 weeks ago when I brought it home.

PicasaSync.jpg

The plans:

Body:
97+ front clip and doors
Line-x the bed
KJ Renegade light bar
Painted back to Colorado Red with Charcoal or Black flares and rockers

Drive train:
Keeping current motor until I see a need to change it
Adding a/c, this is the only part I am nervous about but I think I can pull it off
Replace with non disco d30, 4:10, arb locker
New 8.25 rear, 4:10, arb locker

Suspension
Mild short arm 3-3.5" lift probably assembled from parts
New rear springs that can deal with the camper shell a bit better

Wheels and tires
Rubicons with 245/75/16Installed currently but I will probably try to find at least 2 new wheels without rash and definately new tires.

Interior
Lots of map lighting
Single din Nav unit with DVD player and satellite radio
Handheld GPS and a Spot connect for redundancy
CB, maybe HAM unit (not currently licensed but interested)
Swapping the tan for gray, 97 manual door panels and gray tweed for the upholstery. Like this

Armor
Factory Gas tank skid (hard to find from what I hear), t-case skid, sliders, probably some sort of rocker sheet metal protection

Bumpers
I'm partial to the ARB front bumper for this truck, looking for a used one.
Homemade rear bumper with 2 swingouts, (one for the tire and one for gas and jack most likely)

Recovery
Winch up front.
D-rings and receiver hitch out back.

Adventure Accessories;
Wildernest Camper or Flippac Camper
Dual batteries
Fridge on a slideout.
Field kitchen
Storage bins and drawers for gear and spares
Onboard air
Onboard water heater and tank
Some sort of awning attached to the shell

I'll update this post with the tally every month or so:

Dollars spent as of July 7, 2011

1987 MJ, $1000.00
Tailgate, $100.00
Tail light, $14.00
Vacuum canister, $5.00
Wildernest Camper $450.00
Aluminum and Hardware $32.00

Total to date $1601.00

Flingshot

More pics on the day I brought it home.

PicasaSync.jpg

PicasaSync.jpg

PicasaSync.jpg

Camping the first weekend with tailgate area bodywork done, a new tail gate and tail light.

1000000010.JPG

July 11th or so when I got the Wildernest!!

1000000083.JPG

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice combo! It's great seeing the MJ's.

I'm just on the other side of the highway. Was that camping picture without the 'Nest in Johnny Park?

Eric

Flingshot

Actually that was Bunce School road. I have been to Johnny Park a time or two and I like that area too.
You were pretty close though. That's impressive.

Flingshot

Topless photos and soapy shower scenes below!

Stripped the tent to clean it and replace hardware with stainless.
1000000141.JPG

1000000149.JPG

Soaked it in mild soap and this is what came off!! Eeeew.
I drained the water 3 times until it was staying somewhat clean.
1000000152.JPG

I will need to take the tent off at least once more to paint the shell and the tent poles.
Trying to get ready for Dinosaur Monument and Fantasy Canyon in August!

Last edited:

Flingshot

Wrestling with how to do my second battery.

I could do conventional dual battery set up with the batteries connected with large cables through an isolator OR I could just do a deep cycle battery in the bed in a battery box connected with a smaller wire through an isolator similar to what you would find on a popup trailer.

Scenario 1 would be better in that I would be using two batteries to start the engine and the winch could be wired to the second battery. However, how often do you use your winch in a rig like mine.

Scenario 2 would be better due to it's ease of installation. It's adequate for running a few lights in the camper and maybe a small fan and a cell phone charger, etc. I was thinking of mounting a small fuse box that I could run my lights to and have a quick disconnect to connect the battery to the fuse panel.
I could also have an onboard tender or charger that could be plugged in whenever I am near near a 110v outlet.

One more thing, no room under the hood unless I rearrange some stuff.
Plenty of room in the bed as well as under the bed on the passenger side or where the spare tire used to mount under the bed behind the axle.

At this time, I'm not sure about a fridge but if I get a big enough battery I should be ok, right?

Sorry to ramble, what are your thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Flingshot

Update.
The camper weighs about 450 pounds so even though I have an extra leaf in the spring pack, it was squatting a bit.
I decided to add a pair of longer shackles that I had laying around.
It made a huge difference. It's nice and level and rides a ton better.
Also I replaced all the screws that attach the tent to the fiberglass shell with stainless screws.

I purchased a deep cycle battery and I am going to mount it under the bed on the passenger side in a heavy duty box witha skid under it. There is a ton of room under there, it should work but I will know for sure when start fabbing.
Lastly, for now, I will be contacting FRP to order a new Flippac.
I will most likely keep the Nest until I get the Flippac. I've heard it could take up to 7 or 8 months for delivery.

More later,

Scott

Last edited:

Bobfab

Observer
Cool Truck, I have a soft spot for these commanches! Any pictures of the interior with the nest deployed?

austintaco

Explorer
Just read your link about the Moose adventure. wow!

I ended up buying that Wildernest I posted about a few weeks ago. Its on my truck bed trailer now and I am deciding if I want to take it off to clean it or just start scrubbing while its deployed. Did you decide to take it off to access the hardware?

Mine needs some work, but I think I can make it work. Nice job on the truck and camper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk