Comparing Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5 to FWC Hawk

ethergore

My experience with outfitter's was a disaster. The build quality was poor and customer service was even worse, I would steer clear of them. I wish I would have bought the FWC instead but thought I needed the bells and whistle the outfitter had, I was wrong.

Please tell me more. Which model? What exactly happened? Did they fix it? Do you still have it? How did they treat you?

STREGA

Explorer
Please tell me more. Which model? What exactly happened? Did they fix it? Do you still have it? How did they treat you?

I purchased a Apex8 in '06 and had problems from day 1, mostly with the roof but had several smaller issues as well. The first issue we had with the roof was that it was almost impossible to lift it up with the hand crank alone (in fact the handle actually broke!), I had to have the wife push up on the roof while I cranked to be able to raise the roof up which made it impossible for me to do it by myself. The other roof issue I had was that the roof would not sit flush on the main camper box which left a gap that I could stick my hand through, not even close to being dust/waterproof when travelling down the road.

They cured the lifting issue by changing the spring tension on the lift mechanism but by doing that it did not come down as well and caused the second issue to appear which was it would not seal properly. So no IMO they did not fix the problem, I feel they had no idea on how to fix it or were not willing to spend the $$ needed to correct it.

Other issues was the cabinetry was not all that great. Had problem with the latch that kept the slide out bunk bed/storage drawer secure when going down the road, which is a big deal since it's a big drawer and it was just flopping around in the open position I'am surprised it didn't break. They also use a lot of fibreglass inside the camper and I found especially on hot days that I had to air out the camper for at least 15 minutes after opening it before I could enter it, the fumes were overwhelming. Maybe I'am more affected by it than others, I don't know. It also weighed more than they claimed it would.

As for customer service they pretty much suck! Every time I called them I would have to start from the begining with them, they acted like they never heard of me before which I find a little funny since they are not that big of a company and I was usually talking to same couple of people.

After a few attempts at trying to resolve the issue we had with the camper and not getting any positive results I decided to cut my losses and sold it in '07 after owning it for a little over a year. Yes I did disclose the issues I had with the camper to the buyer and I took a bit of a $$ loss on it.

ethergore

I purchased a Apex8 in '06 and had problems from day 1, mostly with the roof but had several smaller issues as well. The first issue we had with the roof was that it was almost impossible to lift it up with the hand crank alone (in fact the handle actually broke!), I had to have the wife push up on the roof while I cranked to be able to raise the roof up which made it impossible for me to do it by myself. The other roof issue I had was that the roof would not sit flush on the main camper box which left a gap that I could stick my hand through, not even close to being dust/waterproof when travelling down the road.

They cured the lifting issue by changing the spring tension on the lift mechanism but by doing that it did not come down as well and caused the second issue to appear which was it would not seal properly. So no IMO they did not fix the problem, I feel they had no idea on how to fix it or were not willing to spend the $$ needed to correct it.

Other issues was the cabinetry was not all that great. Had problem with the latch that kept the slide out bunk bed/storage drawer secure when going down the road, which is a big deal since it's a big drawer and it was just flopping around in the open position I'am surprised it didn't break. They also use a lot of fibreglass inside the camper and I found especially on hot days that I had to air out the camper for at least 15 minutes after opening it before I could enter it, the fumes were overwhelming. Maybe I'am more affected by it than others, I don't know. It also weighed more than they claimed it would.

As for customer service they pretty much suck! Every time I called them I would have to start from the begining with them, they acted like they never heard of me before which I find a little funny since they are not that big of a company and I was usually talking to same couple of people.

After a few attempts at trying to resolve the issue we had with the camper and not getting any positive results I decided to cut my losses and sold it in '07 after owning it for a little over a year. Yes I did disclose the issues I had with the camper to the buyer and I took a bit of a $$ loss on it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am considering their caribou lite so I really want to know how the company deals with issues. This helps me make a better informed decision. At least one good thing for me is that this camper uses a different lift altogether.

westernskier

​I purchased a 2016 Outfitter Caribou Lite 6.5 in late February 2016 and promptly took it on a three week tour of Rocky Mountain ski resorts. I visited the factory, spoke with Bob, and above all, compared this model extensively with three other slide in campers I have owned in the last 10 years. Those included a 1,500 lb 8 foot hardside older Alpine with a front dinette, a 2008 Lance 825, and a 2005 Four Wheel Hawk.

I basically disagree with what a few people say here on this forum. The following things are very important to me in a camper: 1) spacious, light and bright feel on the inside. 2) comfortable dinette with large table. 3) warm 4) toilet, and 5) modern options.

I liked my older four wheel Hawk, but is was cave-like on the inside; You sat low to the ground on the couch affair with a dim view of the galley, the dinette window was small due to overhead cabinet, and the softwall windows were only on the sides. Also this older model required going outside and climbing to open the windows which meant they were frequently shut. I had Bob do the "full wrap" 8 windows in the softwall which was a $279 option. This is awesome! You always have plenty of light, and get to select your view, which very frequently is out the back of the camper up at a ski mountain. I have been inside the Northern Lites. I do like the burly nature of the shell, but they are VERY dark inside for me. High windows are the way to go in a camper. You get view, light, and some degree of privacy.

I LOVE the dinette in the Caribou Lite. These guys did something very smart. The table is designed to be used as a table, not for two things, a table, and a filler to convert the dinette for sleeping. This means your table is the right size, (aka large enough and wide enough for a work surface), and nice looking. They give you a simple piece of plywood for filler for the conversion, which lives under the cab-over mattress. The dinette seating is wide and spacious. The foam is good quality. I did go by Bed Bath & Beyond and purchase a wedge shaped pillow the makes the dinette even more comfortable, and also works in the cab over. Incidentally, with the lift system of this model, you can lean back against a solid surface in the cabover bed, and this pillow is helpful up there as well.

This model is warm. I went through the factory. It was clean. It was organized. But it was very small compared to the four wheel factory which give it a different feel. I saw the welded aluminum wall sections and roof sections, the precisely cut block foam insulation, and the way they laminate the fiberglass on the outside, then I think 1/8" ply covered with headliner on ceiling or something called "leatherskin" on the walls. The Weblon softwall is three ply and thick. Bottom line, this is a warm camper. I set my thermo at 50 degrees on a 9 degree night, it doesn't come on much, and I am fine. The Lance 825, a bigger camper, was very drafty. The four wheel was pretty warm, but the vinyl softwall did sweat a bit. The older wood framed Alpine was warmer than the new Lance.

Outfitter managed to tuck a cassette toilet under the rear seat of the dinette. There are no issues with stench. Flip on the fan, and you have a massive breeze coming through the fridge vent. The cassette is the way to go for winter campers. You add non-toxic anti-freeze to the separate flush tank and holder, and no freeze ups. You can not do that with water-supply connected setups, and they freeze. Believe me. Oh, and incidentally, I was parked next to an Earth Roamer, and they gave me a tour of their unit. You know what they liked the most...? The exact same cassette toilet I had in Outfitter, which cost a fraction of an Earth Roamer.

Finally on to the modern options. While these are pretty standard in newer bigger campers, I loved that Outfitter put these all in such a small setup and an a reasonable price point. I love the solar. I love getting away from a gas frig that doesn't work when you are off-level and freezes all your stuff. I love the vanity/mirror, the LED lights, inside, and out. Love the electrical controller, and custom, light-weight, solid surface counters.

Room for improvement. Of course. This depends on what your needs are. I will likely make some modifications to the unit to suit my taste. Things I am considering include: upgrading the fabric, knobs, etc to make it a little more designer feeling on the inside, adding some shelving/cabinetry in the corners of the dinette, adding a privacy curtain/shade to the cabover, and a couple of other things.

But all, in all, this is a very innovative setup.

nobueno

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am considering their caribou lite so I really want to know how the company deals with issues. This helps me make a better informed decision. At least one good thing for me is that this camper uses a different lift altogether.
Keep in mind what he said is 10 years ago now. I'm pretty sure they have a new lift mechanism, we've had no issues with ours and there's 300w solar, A/C, Yakima bars and the extra cabinet on the ceiling.

We picked up a 2015 Juno and live close to factory. They have offered good service so far. Email or Facebook message them was the way I got the best response.

We got rid of the fiberglass odor quickly but did notice it initially.

All our drawers stay closed and latched.

EDIT: Just noticed your comment was 3 years old. Nevermind. Carry-on here.

Last edited:

LosAngeles

Just spoke for about 30 minutes with Bob of Outfitter... am considering a Caribou Lite 8' - he can get a shower stall in there... and due to the light weight with airbags he says the 3 of us would be fine on a Ford F150 with 6.5' bed. 4X4.
I really like the idea of Fiberglass, bonded, 1" slab foam construction. Sounds very warm, and sturdy. Plus we wont be doing extreme off roading... just Forest Service roads, washes, etc. Bob was extremely nice and I got a very good vibe from from. He had answers to all my questions. Plus a good value with factory direct!
anyone else using a Outfitter Caribou Lite?
thanks.
John

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
I have a 2007 outfitter Apex 8, that i bought used and abused. I have been happy with it,, and gotten responses back from the factory on replacement parts. I have put some work into it, but considering how much it was abused by the previous owner i am impressed with the quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach