Composite Propane Tank

6x6pinz

Adventurer
a buddy of mine uses them as he does river raft guides. Loves them for the weight and visibility of fuel levels. Nothing worse then running out of fuel on a guided trip. He has had no issues with his and he has to be close to 5 years. Kind of takes some getting used to seeing the fuel sloshing around.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I have a Lite Cylinder, similar to what you've shown, but made in the US. I don't know of any limitations to their use than the normal DOT certifications you can expect with steel cylinders. I've had it for 2 years and very pleased with it, as are others who've come in contact with it.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Does everybody who refills normal tanks refill these?

Good question! The usual retail locations that dispense propane for individially owned tanks (RVs, BBQ, heating) in our area have not had an issue. The place I was surprised to learn that would not is AirGas, an industrial gas supplier, as it is against their corporate policy

I will call a few local places to see if they refill. For those using these on campers, do they fit in the normal tank brackets?

jim65wagon

Ours is a Ragasco. Nice and light, and it's been refilled several times. For the first fill the guy at the station said "I've never seen a tank like that before" a few weeks later we went back for a refill and the same guy says "I've never seen a tank like that before"

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Ours is a Ragasco. Nice and light, and it's been refilled several times. For the first fill the guy at the station said "I've never seen a tank like that before" a few weeks later we went back for a refill and the same guy says "I've never seen a tank like that before"

LOL... it must be the gas... perhaps it's not that well of a ventilated area. :)

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
They're expensive! And with only 1/2 the weight savings, I'd stick with the steel containers. You can precisely measure the propane in the steel containers by weighing it empty and then full. Once you know that you can weigh it to know how many pounds are left. Do know that with OPD valves, the tanks are only supposed to be filled to a max of 80% volume.

I just picked up a brand new steel one at Costco for $27.00 and pre-purged as well. Hard to beat that.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have a Lite cylinder. LOVE IT. Lighter. Lasts longer. Service life is twice that of a steel cylinder. Safer. Not subject to Bleve like a steel cylinder.
No it will not fit in the steel tank mounting brackets that I have. I have not looked into the mounting options seriously yet.

I plan to replace all my steel cylinders with these eventually. Well maybe not the larger 25 gallon cylinders.

Lasts longer. Service life is twice that of a steel cylinder.

Agree with all but I have heard the service life is only about 5 years. Do you have a source for longer life?

It will be used on a off road camper so I want to love them too but also want to be able to justify the cost.

4RunAmok

Explorer
We just got our Ragasco not too long ago, and I will never EVER get another steel tank again. EXCEEDS DOT standards, weight is much less than steel, and the ability to see the propane in the tank is priceless.

Ol' Crom there can grab his abacus and calculate his remaining fuel, while I can walk by mine and know at a glance.

Get one, and never look back!

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Agree with all but I have heard the service life is only about 5 years. Do you have a source for longer life?

http://www.litecylinder.com/
Re-certification is every five years for all cylinders and I believe the service life of a steel cylinder as well. DOT service life for the fiberglass cylinders is fifteen years.

What is the life of the cylinder?
"The DOT and Transport Canada rate the cylinders for a life of 15 Years."

Moisture kills the steel cylinders, that is why their service life is shorter. It can still be argued that the cost does not fully justify the difference. The visible fuel level is worth the cost to me. I can judge my consumption and make a decision on my conservation at a glance and continue to do so during my use. The lighter weight and corrosion resistance are bonus points.

dblosch

Adventurer
We love our litecylinder, too. Though, it should be mentioned, I have yet to find a lantern tree that will fit on it properly. I made a brunton tree work with some basic redneckery, but the tree eventually broke, and they aren't available anymore.

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
There seems to be an unusual amount of misinformation in this thread regarding the steel cylinders. There is no end of life for steel; in this context, steel doesn't fatigue. As long as they are cared for, they'll last a lifetime. By law, steel tanks must pass re-qualification 12 years after date of manufacture which can be found stamped on the collar (month/year). After that, they must be requalified again every 5 years.

It would appear that the plastic cylinders must be requalified every 5 years, and then are end-of-life after 15 years...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater