conqueror compact

fubar

Adventurer
Through my research last night when I could not sleep because of all this I found the Canadian importer in Nova Scotia.

Care to share contact info? I would love to see if I could get a manual and a few accessories. Contacted Mega in SA with no response.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Yeah, I am super surprised that Andy has had success contacting Mega. It took 6 months for them to respond to several e-mails asking for a wiring schematic.
They are not like American's when it comes to follow up. That is for sure.

Good Luck Andy.

Thanks

Dendy

andyrad

Adventurer
Martyn, if we ever get the chance to meet I'll buy the beer. I would love to hear the full story but I did get a little background info from the gent in Nova Scotia on how he got his first shipment.

Fubar, the Canadian Importer will be Mokolodi Imports and their number is 902-685-3282. It sounds like they are not up and running yet but they may be able to help you out. He is in contact with Mega directly. I must have gotten lucky by using their contact info from their web site. Maybe they heard my case and felt the pain.

This thread is going to turn into the Tony Simoneau thread from Dweb only the bad guy is Canada Customs now. I complied with all they asked for and received clearance from TC this morning only to be turned away again at the Customs Office. I'm at the end of my rope but am not letting go. We're back to the lack of a compliance label again. This is clearly set out in my letter and explains what is going on, though I am confident that this will be over by the weekend and the trailer wil be attached to my bumper.

Martyn, I read somewhere that AT is designing a rig with a slide out kitchen? Feel like posting some teasers for those that are considering the wait for Conqueror to get up and running in North America. They may find the price to be prohibitive and come your way. Your trailers are not cheap but they are also very sweet. You get what you pay for.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I wondered too...

Funny thing Jeff,

I was wondering the same thing... in the last 3 states I have lived in I have seen some SCARY homemade trailers, seems silly to have so many problems with commercially designed trailers. One state didn't even require registering utility trailers, whenever I was behind one, I gave it lots of room!

andyrad

Adventurer
Below are the three plates that are causing me the problems. The Mega plate is not valid in Canada, not sure about the US but I doubt it also. One of the other two are required for importation into Canada. It blows my mind also that you can go to metal F'n mart and build your own and somehow get it registered without too much difficulty. But a purpose built trailer that is supposedly tough as nails, aside from some poor choices in bolt grades, needs to have a compliance label or else.

Attachments

• USAVINplate002.jpg
    USAVINplate002.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 190
  • CanadaVINplate002.jpg
    CanadaVINplate002.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 197

XJBANKER

Explorer
Some canadian customs guy is probably drooling over the trailer and they probably have a system if it is there for so long someone gets to take it home so they dont want to let it go. Possesion is 9/10 of the law right?:drool:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Trailer manufacturers and importers in North America agree to comply with all Federal laws regarding trailers, as applicable to the year they are manufactured. You'll find a VIN plate on your vehicle or trailer like the attachment below.

The system is set up so that apart from agreeing to comply with the regulations there is no testing procedure or certification as you find in Europe. If however your vehicle is involved in an accident and you have not complied then the enforcement side is carried out by the Feds.

In this case it looks like Conqueror trailers were imported into the US that did not comply to regulations. So the Customs and DOT forms were filled out saying they did comply, but in reality they didn't. From reading the threads I think we can site a lack of compliant VIN label and non compliant DOT lighting as certain fact, and then certified coupler as a possible infringement of Federal law.

Home built trailers registered at a State level have to comply with State regulations as well as Federal regulations. The problem here is enforcement.

Most of the people at the DMV don't know a J-684 certified coupler or DOT certified light from a hole in the wall. They do know you need a VIN, and most states have a VIN program to check to see the VIN is a legal number, and that the check digits are correct. If you don't have a VIN they will issue a homebuilders VIN to you.

So State registration usually involves a quick trailer check, a VIN check, and possibly a ticket from a certified weigh station.

Attachments

• VIN.JPG
    VIN.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 181

Martyn

Below are the three plates that are causing me the problems. The Mega plate is not valid in Canada, not sure about the US but I doubt it also. One of the other two are required for importation into Canada. It blows my mind also that you can go to metal F'n mart and build your own and somehow get it registered without too much difficulty. But a purpose built trailer that is supposedly tough as nails, aside from some poor choices in bolt grades, needs to have a compliance label or else.

I did some quick calcs. and the check digits appear to be incorrect;

VIN AA9 B115T M 2 H KY1051 The M should be the number 1

VIN AA9 FS31T 0 2 H KY1051 The 0 should be the letter X

Last edited:

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
It is always something! In Tennessee, you don't have to register a trailer at all, BUT, if you decide, you can apply for a one time 'Semi trailer' tag and pay a one time fee, and never have to reregister the trailer again. Contrary, if you plan on crossing State lines, you have to have the trailer tagged.
The VIN does come up in the DMV data base, because we have had folks here that have purchased one ... to get a 2008 Trailer Registration, and in other states, the VIN registers as a 2002 Trailer.

One of the guys that purchased one that lives in North Carolina, sent off for his title and it took almost 8 months, and then he got a letter stating that a title officer (North Carolina Highway Patrol) wanted to inspect the trailer. They came, they looked, and they issued him a 2008 Trailer Title and Registration.

This State verses Federal Law thing seems like it needs to be addressed ... on a nationwide bases.

Dendy

Martyn

It is always something! In Tennessee, you don't have to register a trailer at all, BUT, if you decide, you can apply for a one time 'Semi trailer' tag and pay a one time fee, and never have to reregister the trailer again. Contrary, if you plan on crossing State lines, you have to have the trailer tagged.
The VIN does come up in the DMV data base, because we have had folks here that have purchased one ... to get a 2008 Trailer Registration, and in other states, the VIN registers as a 2002 Trailer.

One of the guys that purchased one that lives in North Carolina, sent off for his title and it took almost 8 months, and then he got a letter stating that a title officer (North Carolina Highway Patrol) wanted to inspect the trailer. They came, they looked, and they issued him a 2008 Trailer Title and Registration.

This State verses Federal Law thing seems like it needs to be addressed ... on a nationwide bases.

Dendy

The Federal side of it is very clear cut. The States are an other story, and there are huge differences from DMV office to office. So yes it's all over the place on the State level.

In California they run the VIN through a program that checks to see if the vehicle is stolen, and if the check digit is correct. If andyrad had tried to register a trailer with any of the VIN's he posted he would have had problems. This may be part of his importation issue, on a Federal level the Canadians are going to run a VIN check before they do anything else.

fubar

Adventurer
I just got back from my third trip to the Cal DMV. Fortunately got someone that both had a clue *and* could make the right thing happen. Shiny new permanent trailer tag with an '09 model year registration. Didn't even test the lights or anything.

Wiring, DMV, and insurance done ($60/yr thru AAA). Now on to the fun stuff!

andyrad

Adventurer
I now have the trailer in my garage. Now I just need to wait for the inspection paperwork to show up so I can get it inspected. Until then it just sits there. I already mounted our MT65 Combi in the tray. It was too tight so I built it up onto a couple 2x4s and screwed those to the tray. The tent is a bugger to set up but with practice I'll get better. The electrical connector was smashed as well so that needs to be figured out.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Andy, At least that is progress!

Yeah, I actually took two pieces of Aluminum and raised my tray. The Combi is just a wee bit too large.

When setting up our tents (not a deal on the Base Camp) on the Compacts and the Conquest, you must be extra careful where the tent hinge is located. When opening or closing the tent, there are square sharp edges that can tear your tent if you don't watch it when setting up or putting away.

Just an FYI. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the inspection.

Dendy

Martyn

I now have the trailer in my garage. Now I just need to wait for the inspection paperwork to show up so I can get it inspected. Until then it just sits there. I already mounted our MT65 Combi in the tray. It was too tight so I built it up onto a couple 2x4s and screwed those to the tray. The tent is a bugger to set up but with practice I'll get better. The electrical connector was smashed as well so that needs to be figured out.

Good job getting it home.

For the inspection I'd suggest the following.

Make sure all of your lights are stamped DOT, if not replace them.

You need side lights front and rear, amber front, red back, again DOT stamped.

If the side lights and rear lights are not certified as reflectors place sticky reflectors as follows:
On the back of the trailer one red on left and right corners
On sides of trailer, at the back corners one red, front corners one amber (same on both sides).
The reflectors have to be DOT stamped as well.

andyrad

Adventurer
Martyn, thanks for the heads up. I took a look at the lights this morning before I headed off to work and the rear lights are reflector and DOT approved LEDs. Very nice. The side markers are not DOT so I will swap those out from, you guessed it, Canadian Tire. Damn I hate that place as much as Walmart but the prices are too good to avoid. I also need to re-wire the connector to my Land Rover Euro plug as the one on the trailer was smashed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater