conqueror compact

andyrad

Adventurer
I have a 7 blade adapter to a 7 pin adapter that I will dismantle for the parts, other than that I need to figure out why a 12 battery will not get any of the lights working. It is going to be a wiring challenge. One each heavy gauge red and black, one each light gauge black, brown, green/yellow, purple, and blue. None of the diagrams I have found match up but once I figure out the trailer side the truck side is well documented.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Andy, So far I have only been able to run a temporary wiring harness, and folded the permanent wiring harness up out of the way.

Seems there is some thought that these trailers are set up just the opposite of North American Standard where we have 1 ground and all hots. These are all grounds and one hot.

I am waiting to take my trailer and truck to a guy in North Carolina that is an auto electrical guru as I have exhausted all attempts locally. While, yes, it would be easy just to strip out the wiring and rewire to the new US standards, but I am not ready to succumb the ability to charge via the trucks alternator.

All that said, to state that you may just have a temporary set up until one of us strikes eureka on the wiring.

Just a thought.

Thanks
Dendy

andyrad

Adventurer
Dendy, it can't be reversed or the Land Rover plug and play situation would not be true. I am getting continuity from the chassis to the heavy gauge black and the brown wires so that tells me I have two grounds. One for the battery system and one for the lights. Why I can't get the lights to work with any combination of these on negative and the others to positive I have no clue, yet. Tell me that the breaker box will allow the marker and tail lights to work if it is off. That should have no impact on the lighting, aside from the auxiliary lights.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Hey, Andy:
Remember the wiring diagram states that there are two wires ( Pin 2= Red/which is the battery in trailer positive terminal and Pin 3= Black which is Battery in Trailer negative terminal AND earth for all the lights )

Also Pin 5 = Brown which is Lights AND Pin 5 and Pin 7 MUST be connected by a bridge piece.

If you do not have that most recent diagram, shoot me an e-mail (nashvillerover@comcast.net) and I will send it to you.

Thanks
Dendy

andyrad

Adventurer
Thanks Dendy, I do have the most recent as well as three or four others for 12N and 12S sockets for Europe that I grabbed off South African web sites, the ones that I could read at least. I'll see if I can make heads or tails of it. I also read that '99 and newer trailers may have a relay that flips power from the trailer battery to the vehicle battery to prevent the fridge from draining the trailer battery when connected to the truck.

andyrad

Adventurer
I still need to wait on the peprwork from RIV to show up. Then I can haul it in for the inspection. I am concerned about the surge brake and that there is no break away backup involved. I know the trailer does not REQUIRE brakes but because it is there they may say it needs a backup.

I got the lighting figured out. Someone at a 'GM dealership' must have re-wired the lights to be DOT approved and this really screwed things up. I have them all re-wired but now I need to get it tied into the Rover plug. I'll play with this tonight over a beer or two.

XJBANKER

Explorer
I have them all re-wired but now I need to get it tied into the Rover plug. I'll play with this tonight over a beer or two.

Make sure to keep it to two. If you have three you may not figure out any of the wiring.:coffeedrink:

andyrad

Adventurer
Yesterday we finally had some nice weather where we could set the Base Camp up and hose it down without it turning to ice. Got all the lights working too. Now it just needs the inspection paperwork to show up.

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_0340.jpg
    IMG_0340.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0336.jpg
    IMG_0336.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 217

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I still need to wait on the peprwork from RIV to show up. Then I can haul it in for the inspection. I am concerned about the surge brake and that there is no break away backup involved. I know the trailer does not REQUIRE brakes but because it is there they may say it needs a backup.

I got the lighting figured out. Someone at a 'GM dealership' must have re-wired the lights to be DOT approved and this really screwed things up. I have them all re-wired but now I need to get it tied into the Rover plug. I'll play with this tonight over a beer or two.

There should be a cable from the hand brake lever mechanism on the surge brake to the vehicle. If the trailer brakes away the cable tension pulls on the brake mechanism and applies the brakes.

I'm sure you can rig something up. From what I remember it was very simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater