Considering an FJ Cruiser.. Common issues / things to look out for

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I seem to remember there was a recall due to some fault that can cause fires. I don't remember specifics.

Bamagirl

Observer
I find this thread has some great information and like the original author of it said of his budget that is where I am at as well.
I have considered selling my truck and going to the FJ and the biggest reason being because I like the look of it outside and the ability to tow things but like the idea of being able to take it outdoors and not worry about carpet and getting dusty, muddy, and dirty. I drove one a few months ago and was very familiar in set up as my Camry and my Tundra. The salesman was a tall average size man and he had way more room in the back seat during the test drive than he would have had in my Tundra AC which was part of a selling point for me since no one ever seems to be comfortable in the back seat of the Tundra.

The biggest debate I have with myself is do I want to get rid of my Tundra to only have the FJ. I would like to have both but can't see having one sitting around with insurance on it and not driving it. I also thought about getting rid of the car and getting the FJ and keeping the truck but afraid I will miss the 30+ mpg the car gets. Around here they are very proud of the FJ and about the only models you can get are the 2007 and 2008 models with over 100,000 miles and keep it under $20,000.

At this point the FJ is on my wish list but like all things on my wish list I eventually want them all to come true but need to learn more about the FJ to see if it really needs to be on my wish list.

nater

Adventurer
I'll take you for your word on the storage capability of the FJ. I test drove the thing and roughly sized up the interior and it didn't look as big as say a 4runner or pathfinder, but I never had the opportunity to actually pack one out.

As for everyday practicality, I think most of my points were valid. The FJ was and still is definitely more focused on off-road usage than it is on daily driving. I have absolutely no problem dragging around 4 people plus a 90 lb dog and gear for a day trip in the 4Runner. Could the same thing be done in a FJ? Probably, but I'm sure the fit will be much tighter. The visibility in the 4Runner is better as is the mpg, if only slightly. All those little things seem insignificant by themselves, but they add up during a 9 hour road trip with passengers and gear or when picking up family and running errands throughout the day.

Again, I totally understand the concept behind having an FJ-type vehicle in the Toyota lineup and I respect it for what it is. Its focus and priorities are a bit different from most other vehicles though.

I totally agree with you on that. With two people, it's great. Four people and a dog? Hell no, I would have a different truck. My ownership will end the second the wife and I have a kid, I am sure of that.

photo nomad

Adventurer
The FJ Cruiser is no more a "hard core" off roader then the 4runner, they have the same drivetrain and suspension. I could take the Icon suspension off my FJ and bolt it right up to a 4runner. The difference between them is predominantly looks, full size rear doors and interior space and finishing. My advice is to buy which ever you prefer, make sure which ever you get it has the rear locker, and most importantly, get out and use it!

I realize I risk becoming the naysayer in this thread, but if you say you are only looking for "moderate off-roading" and want something for around $20k, have you considered looking at other vehicles?

The FJ Cruiser (which I was heavily considering prior to finding my 4Runner) was definitely purpose-built to be a hard-core offroader. It sacrifices something in the way of visibility, fuel economy, everyday practicality, storage room all for the sake of being able to tackle the hard trails. I certainly love the concept behind this vehicle, but couldn't justify buying one because I knew 99% of the time I'd be driving on pavement.

Based on the criteria that you described, there are several other vehicles that come to mind: Nissan Xterra (look for 2011-2014 Pro-4x version); Gen 4 Toyota 4Runner; 100 series land cruiser; the older gen Nissan Pathfinders (R51 I believe). All of those vehicles have decent reputations as off-road capable vehicles and most can be had for $20k or less depending on how much mileage you are willing to deal with.

However, if you are set on getting a FJ Cruiser, I would reaffirm what others have said and advise you to get a 2010 or newer for the upgraded engine and better reliability. Also, if you do have any eventual plans to mod your FJ, it would make a lot of sense to buy one that has already been upgraded. You will definitely pay more than $20k but you will save more money than if you buy all the mods yourself and install on a stock FJ.

Dalko43

Explorer
The FJ Cruiser is no more a "hard core" off roader then the 4runner, they have the same drivetrain and suspension. I could take the Icon suspension off my FJ and bolt it right up to a 4runner. The difference between them is predominantly looks, full size rear doors and interior space and finishing. My advice is to buy which ever you prefer, make sure which ever you get it has the rear locker, and most importantly, get out and use it!

FJ also has a shorter wheel base too I believe, but I think you're missing the point i was trying to make. I wasn't necessarily saying that the FJ was a better off-roader than the 4Runner, or vice versa. I was saying that the FJ is much more focused on being an off-road vehicle and is not as practical as a 4Runner, and other 4WD SUV's, when it comes to normal daily-driver duties. I know there are plenty of people who DD the FJ, and I'm sure some if not most would agree with me.

enzo

Explorer
If you were more flexible on your budget, you could buy my 2012 with 17k miles. Already tastefully modded.:)

photo nomad

Adventurer
FJ also has a shorter wheel base too I believe, but I think you're missing the point i was trying to make. I wasn't necessarily saying that the FJ was a better off-roader than the 4Runner, or vice versa. I was saying that the FJ is much more focused on being an off-road vehicle and is not as practical as a 4Runner, and other 4WD SUV's, when it comes to normal daily-driver duties. I know there are plenty of people who DD the FJ, and I'm sure some if not most would agree with me.

I have owned an FJ, 4Runner and GX470, currently DD my FJ in Los Angeles and use it 5 to 7 days every month for back country trips with 2 to 3 people. I can say with certainty that the FJ is as practical of a DD as any other Toyota 4wd vehicle. The fuel mileage is the same, handling similar,and luggage space is similar. The biggest difference is ease of access to the rear seats. If you have children that are constantly climbing in and out you may want them to have their own doors so you don't have to constantly let them in/out. Also, from an overlanding perspective, if you plan to sleep in your vehicle, the 4Runner is longer (GX much bigger) and hence has more space to sleep inside. When helping people on the forum I try to be as objective and factual as possible. OP as someone else has already mentioned, you may want to direct any specific questions or just lurk on the FJ forums, they can be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
I have owned an FJ, 4Runner and GX470, currently DD my FJ in Los Angeles and use it 5 to 7 days every month for back country trips with 2 to 3 people. I can say with certainty that the FJ is as practical of a DD as any other Toyota 4wd vehicle. The fuel mileage is the same, handling similar,and luggage space is similar. The biggest difference is ease of access to the rear seats. If you have children that are constantly climbing in and out you may want them to have their own doors so you don't have to constantly let them in/out. Also, from an overlanding perspective, if you plan to sleep in your vehicle, the 4Runner is longer (GX much bigger) and hence has more space to sleep inside. When helping people on the forum I try to be as objective and factual as possible. OP as someone else has already mentioned, you may want to direct any specific questions or just lurk on the FJ forums, they can be very helpful.

The FJ does not have the same mpg as the 5th gen 4runner, nor does it have the same interior space.

That aside, your opinion of how the FJ compares to the 4Runner as a daily driver is well, an opinion. I have mine and you have yours. There is nothing wrong with having different views on the same subject. I suspect the OP is very capable of deciding for himself (or herself) which feedback is worth listening to.

Honu

lost on the mainland
one downside is the FJ on the hwy is driving a brick :) did a recent trip to Austin from PHX hit insane head winds on the way back and could not get above 9MPG :(
this was with just my 11 year old and me inside ! on the way down I avg about 12-13 but I had a lot on the rig including a gobi rack that sucked mileage out of it
some do get more on HWY really depends on tires and rack etc... some around here I know can get about 17 on hwy when going slower with at tires and no wind sucking rack :)

the rear leg and hip room no contest ! my kids with in Fj my seat set could not get his feet in unless he turned them sideways and he is only 6 :) so the rear leg room is tiny in the FJ compared to the 4 runner
the FJ has taller head room but watch your head on that dumb handle on the early models !!!! that sucker hurts when you ********** into it :)
cargo one reason we had to let the FJ go was lack of cargo its 27.9 as spec says and the 4runner 42.7
4runner turns tighter radius and longer wheel base but not as good departure aproach

IMHO having just sold my FJ I miss it :( NOTHING is a FJ but NOTHING is a 4runner ?

my vote is again if no kids get the FJ :) if kids check out both we did it till the kids were 6 and 11 and it started to get old but we did it :) again I love love love the FJ and will mis it but I love love love our 4runner now :)

for sure one is not better than the other on its own only better for certain things light trails both will do that easy
I am looking forward to better mileage and larger gas tank on longer trips :) and the extra storage room
but will miss the fun that was the FJ ;)

Honu

lost on the mainland
TRD exhaust and CAI
for sure helped throttle response for me big time and meaning just that :) not saying it produced more power as much as just off the line throttle response was hugely improved :) the hesitation feeling was gone and going to check into that on our 4runner for that reason alone

photo nomad

Adventurer
The FJ does not have the same mpg as the 5th gen 4runner, nor does it have the same interior space.

That aside, your opinion of how the FJ compares to the 4Runner as a daily driver is well, an opinion. I have mine and you have yours. There is nothing wrong with having different views on the same subject. I suspect the OP is very capable of deciding for himself (or herself) which feedback is worth listening to.

Spoken like some one who hasn't had real world experience with both. Per manufacturers claims, 5th gen 4Runner 18-23mpg, 2010 FJ Cruiser (comparable year to 5th gen) 17-22mpg, looks similar to me. Also a lot (not all) of the space gained in the 4Runner is in the back seat. You are correct in saying that the cargo area of the 4Runner is larger, but not so drastically that it impacts daily real world use for most of the population. Behind the rear seats an FJ Cruiser can easily hold two large hockey bags full of equipment, or 4 sets of golf clubs, or a stroller and diaper bag and groceries, or an ARB 50q refrigerator and recovery and camping gear for 2... you get the point. If you are going on a long road trip with a car full of passengers, then I concede the extra cargo room of the 4Runner may be valuable, but don't tell me that they are not comparable daily drivers. Please stick to facts, not opinion when trying to help others on the forum. Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread, this is the last I'll say on the subject.

Dalko43

Explorer
If you are going on a long road trip with a car full of passengers, then I concede the extra cargo room of the 4Runner may be valuable, but don't tell me that they are not comparable daily drivers. Please stick to facts, not opinion when trying to help others on the forum. Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread, this is the last I'll say on the subject.

Saying the 4Runner is a better daily driver than the FJ or vice versa, is an opinion, not a fact. That's what you are not getting. I expressed an opinion and so did you. So please stop derailing this thread and give it a rest.

Honu

lost on the mainland
agree there is no better rig :) only what one likes better :)
my buddy whos kids are grown wont give up his FJ
id I did not have kids and dogs and stuff I would be in the FJ still :)
IMHO the FJ is a much more FUN rig than the 4runner and looks more unique etc...

the car I had before my FJ was a MB S class :) cant get much nicer road trip car but I loved driving my FJ better hahahahahahah
just so much more character and fun the MB was freaking amazing but also freaking boring

FJC are awesome rigs so sad they quit making them and hope they bring them back in about 5 years

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Here's my thoughts. If ur considering an fj then there is something u like about it, looks, off road whatever. I have an 08, bought used at 30k now have 90k. If ur buying to save gas give it up. Small gas tank, but solved easily on long trips w jerry cans. Visibility meh not really an issue once u drive it a week or so. Cargo, tons of it and a very capable factory roof tack. Definitely get one w a rear locker. I like the earlier years for ease of oil change but that's trivial. Massive aftermarket goodies. Offroad, I have been places and crawled over rocks/obstacles that I never imagined I could, w proper spotting and some rock placement this thing can go anywhere. Toyota reliability awesome, easy to maintain and work on. DD np easy to drive and park and my wife usually drives it so.... if u have kids maybe back seat getting in and oit an issue but doable. All around amazing and capable blast to drive anywhere and looks like nothing else on the road. If ur eyeballing one get it, u won't be disappointed and if u r there r many others who will by it off u.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven