Considering an FJ Cruiser.. Common issues / things to look out for

Chili

Explorer
Thanks for all of the feedback. I am considering downsizing as we will soon be down to one child at home (10), after our second boy graduates next year. Although he is still home for another year, he has his own car, a job, and I really don't forsee any long trips with all 4 of us in the next year. We do have two dogs but with the trailer the only thing that stays in the rig is our clothes.

Our last big trip to CO was just my wife and I, and the dogs. I pulled out the middle row captains seats and built a simple platform for the dogs, so all of our gear was in the cargo area. We do not pack light, but still had some decent room.

My daily commute is short (10 mi), so that`s not a big concern, and before I bought this suburban I daily drove a 90 Bronco with a 4" lift and 33s for a couple years. Another reason I like the idea of an fj is the short wheelbase. And honestly, I would probably hit more trails I bypass now with the suburban.

Plus, I've always liked the looks. I probably would not do much besides a lift and larger tires. Don't forsee needing a winch or bumpers for my purposes. Don't get me wrong, I think they look great with them, just couldn't justify the price.

nater

Adventurer
I think the take home message is this: want a jeep wrangler with a bit more space, slightly less off road ability (before the jeep guys burn my fj to the ground, if you want to rock crawl, get the jeep, if you want larger than 35" tires, get the jeep), but with tons more comfort and reliability, the fj is for you. Want to haul your family and dog on long weekend trips, your best bet is to look elsewhere.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I think the take home message is this: want a jeep wrangler with a bit more space, slightly less off road ability (before the jeep guys burn my fj to the ground, if you want to rock crawl, get the jeep, if you want larger than 35" tires, get the jeep), but with tons more comfort and reliability, the fj is for you. Want to haul your family and dog on long weekend trips, your best bet is to look elsewhere.

I bet it would be really hard to find a place a jeep would go and an fj wouldn't :)

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chubbytaco