Containerized: Retromod Global Tacoma

warthog

Observer
Thanks for sharing!
This thread made me sit up to one in the morning!
I have an Hilux 93` in the shop right now, got some ideas from your build.
I like your placement of spare tire.
And tie downs in the bed. Also implementing shovels and Hi-jack in the back.
I am debating going for a camper on the back of the Hilux for longer trips
or a roof-tent. But after reading and looking at your build I am leaning towards a roof-tent.
It will look cooler.

I just liked it.

STIG:)

Containerized

Adventurer
These are likely the last pre-shipping pics.

IMG_8440_zps02874e7c.jpg

IMG_8428_zps29f49277.jpg

IMG_8427_zpsdbc35fdd.jpg

IMG_8422_zps3b8a5859.jpg

IMG_8425_zpsbb7341ca.jpg

Ramjet

Explorer
Thanks for sharing this project with us all. I believe, that by building what you want in the design that suits you best, is the best way to express your soul. Safe Travels wherever the wind may take you.

Containerized

Adventurer
Ramjet and kpredator - Thanks for the kind words.

kpredator - Given the headache last year with the FJC in Dar es Salaam, we'll be trans shipping via Jebel-Ali to Mombasa. Looking forward to being back home on the Continent.

warthog - Thanks. I actually changed the hi-lift mount slightly, I can post some bed pics if you're interested. I think there are a few ideas that others could implement.

Containerized

Adventurer
Okay, thought I'd add some answers to questions I've gotten from forum members.

1: What's up with the hi-lift mount?

Since I spend the majority of my time off pavement, a big item like the hi-lift gets a lot of jostle. This means, potentially, serious damage if it gets loose or breaks what it's mounted to. I used (but modified) the XRAC mounting system (http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-4X400-4XRAC-Mounting-System/dp/B000CMHNY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1348352442&sr=8-2&keywords=hi+lift+mount) after having had the TM-700 mounts (http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-Jack-...&qid=1348352442&sr=8-1&keywords=hi+lift+mount) on the FJC and having been really unhappy with them (they eventually slipped, even though I put them on a bar that I'd applied thick clearbra to, in order to give them more grip, and then eventually one of the studs broke off completely). Here, the XRAC system goes through to new structural mounts instead of being fastened just to the bed. This makes for a super sturdy mount.

The problem with the Hi-Lift is that its "foot" takes up so much space. Anyone who has tried to store a Hi-Lift in an interior space has run into this problem. How can you have the foot handy (not in some recovery gear bag!) but not have it in the way? The solution is a bracket that the foot mounts to with the same pin used on the Hi-Lift. This way, you slide the pin out, take the foot off its mount, and slide it onto the Hi-Lift. I was shocked that no one has an off-the-shelf bracket like this; it had to be fabricated.

Here, the jack and foot are stored securely on the starboard side of the bed, up and out of the way.

IMG_1710_zpsbc11be24.jpg

Now, pull the pin and the weight of the foot on its perch is all that keeps it in place:

IMG_1712_zps70392cd2.jpg

Now, take the foot, attach it to the jack (using the same pin) and dismount the jack. You're ready to use the Hi-Lift.

IMG_1713_zpsc7b9249b.jpg

Here is the bracket:

IMG_1714_zpsafc5bd55.jpg

Foot mounted:

IMG_1715_zps2c1f6edf.jpg

Pin re-installed:

IMG_1716_zps146b6836.jpg

2: Short bed on a non-rock-crawler? Are you crazy?

Well, maybe I'm crazy. Not ideal for those who carry a ton of stuff, but for five or six days (especially in temperate climates where ground tents are fine) I think it's worth the trade-off. Even the road in front of our house in Uganda is a test of departure angle, let alone the roads leading to Juba or some of the roads past Arua and into Congo! But sometimes you want to carry more stuff, or have big stuff to move short distances, or pick up something and want to bring it back. What to do?

Well, for these situations we modified the Toyota bed extender to work with the modified bed. Not a lot of work, actually, and a worthwhile experiment. How much utility will we really get out of it? I'm not sure. But it's a nice option to have.

Bed extender in the shortened bed:

IMG_1708_zps53d80b5a.jpg

Bed extender extended:

IMG_1709_zps17cfa0ee.jpg

Some shots from the rear:

IMG_1720_zpse8599bf3.jpg

IMG_1719_zpsd667ed94.jpg

IMG_1718_zps37ba431f.jpg

3: Your front ride height varies a lot in these pictures. What's up?

Well, various settings and modifications led to where we are now. The photo below shows the truck as it stands this week, and as it will be shipped. Front and rear fenders are at approximately equal height on level ground, though the rear is slightly higher (unloaded).

Current height in pic below (ICON Stage 4 suspension with coilovers set to be slightly lower than the rear "settled, unloaded" height).

IMG_1707_zps23175b02.jpg

REMOTEPLACES

Adventurer
Cool build, lots of work...but I can't help but to think back to when I first started digging into this thread and I read that you register your vehicles in Alaska for tax reasons. Surely, this can't be to save money, can it? I thinks its all for those cool "retro" license plates. Plus, why would someone with so much money not want to pay a little tax....OH, wait....huge can a worms....disregard. I'll go back to :coffee:

After six months of waiting, hundreds of hours of labor, thousands of miles of commuting... it's nice to spend a few nights at one of our favorite hotels (the St. Julien in Boulder)... and then, today, it was "Christmas" with the delivery of the final product.

In short, I couldn't be happier. Even the little details that took forever to get right (like making the OEM bed rail system work with the shortybed and making sure the Toyota bed extender would still work if we ever wanted to use it, or making sure the bed has enough lighting for nighttime unpacking or packing up camp pre-dawn) are so rewarding to see together in one place, finished.

Now, the adventure begins with a new adventuremobile. But, first, I'll let the photos tell the story.

Current odometer reading: 20 miles.

IMG_8114.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8111.jpg

IMG_8106.jpg

IMG_8102.jpg

IMG_8095.jpg

IMG_8094.jpg

IMG_8087.jpg

IMG_8082.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The potential design path behind your front grill design came to me the other day when one of these was in my rear view mirror;

2012-Toyota-4Runner-2.jpg

Maybe that's what you had been looking at?

Containerized

Adventurer
REMOTEPLACES: Oregon (0% sales tax) already gets the registration fees for my U.S. cars where the plate I want happens to be unavailable in Alaska (0% sales tax)...

For instance, "Lotus" was unavailable for this toy below back in 2005. :smiley_drive:

Leaves more $ for plates for cars in UK, Dubai, and HK. :wings:

7-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

mk216v: Exactement.

Last edited:

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Now I'm curious, how do you go about registering them in other states? I live in GA, so how would I register somewhere else?
I know it's doable, but am interested to see if I could follow suit.

Cheers.

Containerized

Adventurer
Laxaholic: There are many ways to do it, I've even seen people with Mailboxes Etc. boxes, etc.

I'm not a U.S. resident, so all my vehicles are owned our company's subsidiary in the state in question. They are "company cars" for our subsidiaries in those states.

And, yes, the police officer smiles when you tell him the Lamborghini you're driving home from dinner in New York is your company car. But it's not that uncommon, depending upon your industry.

For instance, there is a law firm on the Upper East Side that owns a dozen cars (Bentleys, etc.) that are for the use of partners at the firm; no one bats an eye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad