Containerized: Retromod Global Tacoma

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Two Thumbs Up

I really like the uniqueness of your build. Really top notch work they did on the transformation.

Very nice video as well, but I think you were driving a 1993 hilux in the beginning not a 1983, unless they did a body swap....just being picky here.

:beer: to a great adventure!

Elbee

Adventurer
I drove that same truck around Gulu when I was in Uganda! Fabulous truck, its amazing what that thing has been put through. My friend and I also fell in love with that truck. You must know Tyson,as well. Small world
I like the truck the only thing i would change is the grill possibly, I do like the old Toyota symbol. Good video summary of the project!

430315_2691896947772_291971575_n.jpg

Explore. Dream. Discover.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Very nice video as well, but I think you were driving a 1993 hilux in the beginning not a 1983, unless they did a body swap....just being picky here.
I thought the same. Looked to me like a mid to late 1990s (maybe '96, '97) LN106. Certainly the sheet metal and interior looked like a 5th gen Hilux and the grill definitely. I also assumed it was diesel since the petrol 3Y-U wasn't introduced until about 1988 AFAIK.

Elbee

Adventurer
Tyson is great guy. I would love to be able work out there in northern Uganda and help Tyson with some his projects and various endeavors. I did help out at the pineapple farm, we got together with Tyson and built a traditional hut.
Tyson and his wife Sarita brought me to Gulu, I came because of their organization called the Zion project that they run. I love Uganda, i would love to go back, lots of opportunities there for business, and possible jobs with NGOs operating in the Sudanese region.
I liked Gulu it felt safe if you practiced common sense, i tried to explore most every part of when i was there.
I also did love all the Landcruisers and hiluxes driving aorund :drool: What I thought was interesting was a bright yellow hummer H2 milling around Gulu when i was there, I wonder how long that would last with the roads there.

What sort of job do you have that brought you to Uganda?

Hopefully I will be able to make it back sometime soon, maybe even get a job in the region. Hopefully learn some more Acholi.

Owyhee H

Adventurer
I thought the same. Looked to me like a mid to late 1990s (maybe '96, '97) LN106. Certainly the sheet metal and interior looked like a 5th gen Hilux and the grill definitely. I also assumed it was diesel since the petrol 3Y-U wasn't introduced until about 1988 AFAIK.

It is IFS too, so definetly not an '83.... but now we are getting off topic.

Is the Taco back in Chicago now? When does it ship to Africa?

Containerized

Adventurer
Yep, I think it was a slip-up on my part ('93 vs '83), though I have a feeling that truck has been built and rebuilt a few times (grille doesn't match any Japanese-spec pics I could find, but seems to maybe be Aussie market, and the locking hubs were non-original...). Would love more info from those who know more. Was imported from Japan in ~98.

Containerized

Adventurer
Elbee - I live in Ariaga, north of Gulu, with my girlfriend... though we are in the process of relocating temporarily and then our next overseas stint will likely be in a different part of the world. Don't have many details yet. Loved living in Acholiland for over a year, wonderful and friendly place. I'm an economist.

t4rman

Adventurer
Excellent job on the truck. The amount of time and effort you spent planning is apparent in the finished product. I like that you used a different color for your LED bed lighting. I think I am going to have to copy that mod.

Containerized

Adventurer
t4rman: You may want to look at brake lights if you want red lighting (best for night vision). The advantage is that most LED brake lights have a "dim" (running lamp) and "bright" (brakes on) setting. You can use this as an "off-dim-bright" feature, with a simple three-position switch. Make sure you weatherproof any resistors you pack in to meet the lamp specs, obviously (the main source of failures I've seen on LED lamps is poor weatherproofing of the wiring).

Containerized

Adventurer
Some updates from the southwest below. Truck will be in the shop for the next two weeks while I'm taking care of other business. Then I'm back and start working on finalizing shipment logistics, etc.

Approaching the Pass:

IMG_8387.jpg

A rainbow north of Moab:

IMG_8217.jpg

A sunrise above Moab (shot from ~4,000 feet):

IMG_8265.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad