Cooper ST's - 255/85/16

Fargo

Adventurer
Oh yeah, on our short ride to dinner this evening my wife noted that the Coopers felt bouncier, she was correct. Both the DC FCII 285/75 LR D and S/T 255/85 LR D are flexible tires, but the Coopers are more so, and I can often feel their soft construction. This is not necessarily a negative, just is. Same PSI, 35.

Thanks for this post. I have often wondered if a lot of the bounce of lifted trucks comes from the big balloon load range C tires. This confirms for me that a softer tire will bounce more than a stiffer tire. Now I need to decided which is worse. Too soft and bouncy or too stiff and harsh. A load range D sounds like a nice compromise. To bad they seem to be a relatively rare breed.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yes, a softer, more flexible tire will bounce more depending on the platform, wheelbase, etc. While I much prefer a LR D tire most of the time, the Cooper S/T in 255/85R16 is a very soft and flexible tire with only a 4-ply tread. The S/T in 255/85 is much more flexible than other load range D tires I have run, like the Maxxis Bighorn LT255/85R16D and ******** Cepek Fun Country II LT285/75R16D. All of three of these tires have two ply sidewalls, but the plies are not the only thing that matters as some tires have very different characteristics.

I've been playing with tire pressures over the past couple days and went from 32 to 36 PSI yesterday which noticeably firmed up the S/T treads on the street.

bigandtall

These are still riding really nice! Installer had them at 40psi. My SUV door jam sticker says 32psi. I'm running 35psi now and very happy. At 40psi the rears were not rolling flat across the entire tread width.

Here is one more shot, a good side view:

Attachments

• 08FJ4b.jpg
    08FJ4b.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 96

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
255/85/16 on the FZJ80

After an unsatisfying run on Sam's Club BFG AT's in 285/75/16 I made the switch to the Cooper ST's in 255/85/16. I paid almost $300 (in Alaska where everything is stupid expensive) for one brand new tire and got a set of 4 'take offs' for $400. I'll measure the tread difference tomorrow, but the 'old' ones look pretty darn new.

Reasons are many, not the least of which are:

1) better economy- having had the 255's on an 05 Taco, I know first hand how easy they roll down the road. Narrow and light weight have advantages: Easy to turn in tight, slow speed situations, and yet track straight and true at anything over 30 MPH. Surly lower mass eases the strain on brakes, bearings, power steering components and on long drives, driver fatigue.

2) does not throw much gravel at all. The AT's were a menace and sounded as if I was trying to shot peen the undercarriage. The ST's wide voids allow for nice evacuation of terra firma of most common varieties = mud, snow, and loose small rock.

3) easily managed - tall for ground clearance, but I can easily access the back of the tire to add chains if needed, or work in / around the wheel wells. *The spare does not require much space nor, as a result of the lighter weight, NASA grade tire carriers.*

I called Cooper about tire pressures. The shop installed them with four different pressures ranging from 30 psi to 65. I was not at all surprised. Regardless, the folks at Cooper took a lot of time with me and, based on the tire and the vehicle and estimated additional load, recommended 42 PSI front and 40 rear. A short run of ~2 miles and a quick use of the pyrometer, showed even temps on the tread edges and center.

I am very pleased with the tires. The ride is nice and the proven capability is inspiring. I might consider using 1" spacers (from SLEE, of course) to expand the track a wee bit. Time will tell and nothing much more is going to happen until I move back to America.

Crappy third world cell phone pics: :sombrero:
765de96f.jpg

5703687f.jpg

A couple weeks ago I again installed my mounted Maxxis Bighorn MTs onto the 4Runner just to enjoy them on the car in the garage (been riding M/C more than driving). They look great and complete the vehicle. I only drove about 200-miles on the weekends before taking them off and putting the mounted Cooper ST 255/85R16s back on. The Bighorns are well balanced and ride well but they are still an aggressive mud tire. The Bighorns are fairly loud/audible and don't get quieter at speed. The noise continues to grow with speed making them a less highway friendly tire.

(Somewhat related to all of this tire talk) I gave the car a much needed hand wash/wax, the first in months, and noted all the little rock/paint chips on the lower body. I'm not blaming all these chips on the Bighorns as the Bighorns have not been on for many miles over the winter, but the Bighorns do catch and throw more rocks than the much less aggressive Maxxis Bravo AT or Cooper STs.

Though there have been many comments about the noise/volume of the Cooper ST tread design, my own included, all things are relative. After a few miles on the Bighorns going back to the STs was nice. The tires are audible, but not loud compared to a typical mud tire. Loud compared to a quiet AT, sure. To repeat myself/earlier posts, though the Cooper ST is clearly audible at all speeds in my quiet 4Runner, they become noticeably quieter at freeway speeds where a tire like the Maxxis Bighorn just get louder and drones on.

There is lots to be said for a tire like the ST. Lots more void than an all-terrain but less than a ‘mud’ tire. Yes the STs are narrow, much narrower than the Bighorns, and don’t look as ‘tough’ on my Mall Crawler, but they also feel and work great on the car.

This time I put 30-psi in the STs and they ride and steer perfectly.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Nice. The PSI sounds a little high to me but that's what I would except from a tire manufacturer. I'm actually impressed that they didn't recommend even higher pressures. Giving you different pressures for the front and rear axles tells they were actually considering your application/weight.

The S/T is such a flexible tire there will likely be no ride complaint from running those pressures instead of say, 35. You might even like the ride better, depending on your preference.

Last edited:

Vance

Your information is really interesting for me. I have learned many new things to read your post. Hope I will learn more to my stay here.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Overall I am positively surprised with the ST's - they were able to struggle through some glacial silt / mud goo at Knick River last weekend. I had tried this with the BFG AT's and did not have much luck. The Coopers are a little noisier at highway speeds, but I can adapt to that easily. I'm happy as a pup after a bath with them!

1ffa564e.jpg

a75031e5.jpg

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Oooh......maybe we're getting a BFG convert.....glad you're diggin the new tread.

If they wear well, I'm all in! Never thought I would stray from the BFG AT's, but these Coopers are pretty amazing. What a great in between mud and all terrain this is. Has Tom Shepard ever weighed in on the Discoverer ST's?

WCO

It's Lil' Willi
I used to be a good year guy until I bought my first set of coopers in 2005, I've since gone through 7 sets of coopers, and run them on the wifes commute car as well. I had 3 sets of ATs on my 2500 cummins, with an average life span of 60,000! And it was a haul rig. I have a set of stts on my 78 powerwagon, with nearly 20000 miles on them, and still more than half tread. I've ran two sets of the st's, one on my old 95 chevy 2500, and one set on my dodge 2500, both got over 50,000 mi. I am going to be putting stt's on my 03 duramax before the rains hit this season. I have been thuroughly impressed with their performance. Even the AT's perform well in sand and mud. I don't think one can go wrong with coopers. They are a bit more pricy, but if you break that cost down over the mile lifespan of the tire, its peanuts. Just my 2 cents

Erik N

Adventurer
Yes, a softer, more flexible tire will bounce more depending on the platform, wheelbase, etc. While I much prefer a LR D tire most of the time, the Cooper S/T in 255/85R16 is a very soft and flexible tire with only a 4-ply tread. The S/T in 255/85 is much more flexible than other load range D tires I have run, like the Maxxis Bighorn LT255/85R16D and ******** Cepek Fun Country II LT285/75R16D. All of three of these tires have two ply sidewalls, but the plies are not the only thing that matters as some tires have very different characteristics.

I've been playing with tire pressures over the past couple days and went from 32 to 36 PSI yesterday which noticeably firmed up the S/T treads on the street.

What does your rig weigh?

I might get a set of these before next fall's fishing excursion. My Suburban weighs 5850 w/o gear or passengers. So I figure around 6500 fully-loaded.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What does your rig weigh?

I might get a set of these before next fall's fishing excursion. My Suburban weighs 5850 w/o gear or passengers. So I figure around 6500 fully-loaded.

The car I used the 255/85 S/T on was modified 4Runner, that weighs 5,500-lb, 6k loaded, with good weight distribution. Sold my used set of S/T 255s to a guy who likes/uses them on a 2500 Dodge/Cummins.

If you want 255/85 the old S/T is the answer. If you want a firmer tire and are willing to use a 285, the Cooper S/T Maxx is a good option.

Last edited:

Erik N

Adventurer
Yes, I want the 255's. I have beat-up Chaparral (made by Cooper) 255's on there now. I like the narrower tire, it is easy to place the footprints just where you want them, between obstacles, as opposed to just running over the top of them.

It will either be the ST's, or KM2's, next fall.

Attachments

• IMG_3565.JPG
    IMG_3565.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip....I like the narrower tire, it is easy to place the footprints just where you want them, between obstacles, as opposed to just running over the top of them.
snip.....

That's a fact, that's one of the reasons I prefer a narrower tire as well. With the possible exception of more technical, rock crawling type driving, where the S/T and KM2 are both a little on the narrow side. I wish there was more than ONE 255/80R17 to choose from.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have been reading around here on the 255/85/16 in various makes and talk about info overload:)
For those of you who are keeping in the know, I would like to get 5 of them for a 5000lb 1970 Suburban on a 16x6 wheel (maybe 16x7)...
prices for each of the BFG A/T, Copper, Maxxis Big Horn and ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach