COSTMAN13's 2001 Tacoma

Costman13

Adventurer
AS OF 3/10/17

Hello ExpeditionPortal and Tacoma Gurus,

I'm going to start a slow build process of my truck and would like to get it on here for all you Tacoma / Expo experts there is on the Portal. I have Had my truck now for about 5 years. Prior to that I had a single cab 97, with a break from tacos in between. I am new here on expeditionportal but have been over on TTORA.com for 5-6 years now, mostly lurking. With the lack of excitement on TTORA as of recently I have joined over here, and let me say, it has been great!

The truck is a 2002 TRD 3.4L, manual trans, and pushbutton t-case. So far it has been a great truck (minus having thrown a rod at 120K miles). :Wow1:

IMG_0025_zps9c3c3c39.jpg

IMG_0026_zps9b25fde3.jpg

Having grown up in Northern CA and close to the Rubicon Trail, I have always been into offroading, mostly the rocks. However, now that I am getting a little older (and wiser :rolleyes: ) The rockcrawling isn't so much a priority. I have been watching some great builds like RSB and Box Rocket, over the years and as of recently Flyingwil / Sierra Expeditions and Trump's trucks here on the Portal and I think the time has come for me to piece together a competent and capable truck.

I have just ordered some OME 882 / Dakar suspension with the Nitro Sport shocks, for the front and rear. I plan on running 285 / 75R16 BFG ATs. I chose the ATs. I chose this suspension / tire set up purely for my needs, as this truck is my daily driver and my weekend getaway machine. I have had the ATs in 265 / 75 for the better part of 4 years and 40,000 miles and have been very impressed with their performance, both on and off piste. I will be holding off on UCA's until I deem they are necessary. Sure I would love to do it all at once, but again this build will reflect my needs (although my wants are already getting in the way!).

Enough rambling for now, here are some random pictures of the the truck over the last 4 years or so.

new441_zpsec98e939.jpg

DSC_0251_zps748e2ecd.jpg

DSC_0005_zpsdb177ed1.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, See you on the trails!

Last edited:

Costman13

Adventurer
I mounted a set of Yakima crossbars last spring for hauling a canoe, and kayaks around. It made having the canopy that much more useful. If I could do it again (I may very well change it) I would put in the "track" system, so I could move the bars fore and aft. Though it turned out nice.

photo1_zps6c9bd57c.jpg

photo2_zps3e641a1b.jpg

I had been kicking around getting a "basket" and originally wanted a nicer HD model, such as Bajarack and the like. Well last week I picked up a Yakima Loadwarrior, with extension, for a great deal here locally. I tossed it on and although haven't used it yet, I love the look.

photo_zpsa913b48c.jpg

Please excuse the poor cellphone picture.

Im kicking around the idea for my front bumper. I would love to build one, due to shortage of a garage, and/or 220V outlets, my welder proves useless. I am also hesitant to build one due to weight. I think I will build it a bit to overkill and heavy. I will be leaving the engineering of this to the professionals.

I have my sights on the APEX bumper from Allpro. That thing is sweet. And some simple and less expensive sliders from TG.

Cheers

Last edited:

Costman13

Adventurer
Thank you for the kind words. USCG2008, good to see another coastie here on the board.

Nothing new with the truck yet, as I'm waiting on the suspension to arrive. I'm sure there is something I need to be doing...:coffee:

On another note. Any good trail recommendations here in NW WA?

CYi5

Explorer
Beautiful truck, i'd trade my 4runner for something very similar! Keep up the good choices.

Costman13

Adventurer
Thank you! Just read through your build. Beautiful rig! I love the simplicity and functionality. The silver armor looks great! :clapsmile

Toyotero

Explorer
I'm interested to see what you think of the suspension. I think about replacing mine every time I drive it.

Costman13

Adventurer
My old 97 single cab had 881 coils. They rode well, better than the spacer that was originally there. They began to sag quite a bit over the years. The rear had a 2" block, and after a year or so the block was removed for some extended shackles I made. I cannot remember the length off the top of my head though.

Ill be sure to post up. Currently, the truck has adjustable bilstein 5100s, set at the middle setting, 1.5"? and stock TRD coils. The rear sat a bit higher so I left it alone. This setup has performed great for what I was using it for. Very light off road / dirt road and daily driving. Now that the truck is paid off and my coils and rear springs are tired, it seems like the perfect time to set it up for more aggressive off road use and functionality.

Costman13

Adventurer
I pulled the trigger on a set of TG welded sliders. Found a site that has them listed for $208, about $70 cheaper than trailgear, and $50 or so cheaper than inchworm.

Ive made my decision on the bumper. Im going to go with the Allpro APEX with both grill and light hoops. Im going to give them a call monday, ask a few questions on shipping and place my order. I think this bumper looks great on Trump's white Taco :drool:.

I have access to a TIG welder at work and am kicking around the idea of a 1/4" think aluminum skids. It would be nice to save that weight and I believe it would be plenty strong enough for my applications. But for now I am holding off and keeping the stock plate.

cheers.

Costman13

Adventurer
A little update on sliders. The low price turned out to be too good to be true. The company had mis published this price on the website. They have refunded the price I paid. I think I'll be buying the direct from Trail-gear now.

I have also placed the order in for my APEX front bumper! :wings: They are currently waiting on the next batch of these and it looks like it won't ship for another 2-3 weeks. Good news is, Im in no rush. I spoke with Wheelers Offroad today, and my suspension should ship either today or tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

trump

Adventurist
A little update on sliders. The low price turned out to be too good to be true. The company had mis published this price on the website. They have refunded the price I paid. I think I'll be buying the direct from Trail-gear now.

I have also placed the order in for my APEX front bumper! :wings: They are currently waiting on the next batch of these and it looks like it won't ship for another 2-3 weeks. Good news is, Im in no rush. I spoke with Wheelers Offroad today, and my suspension should ship either today or tomorrow morning.

All-Pro gave me a call yesterday to ask for detailed pictures of the where the hoops are welded on my bumper as each one is a little bit different. I suspect they're trying to get yours set up just like mine. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal