Cotton Clothing?

jaymar

Anyone know of any durable/hard-wearing cotton outerwear brands? People were getting out there before synthetics. Any of the old labels--or new--still making the good stuff? Thanks for any help!

llamalander

No brand in particular, but if you want durable cotton shirts, look at rugby wear. I got some as work shirts that just won't quit--

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I like Haynes T-shirts, neck stays in shape, xl fits me nicely. Just good ole Levi jeans seem to be the go to pants for outdoors, but Carhart pants are better but for colder weather.

I have Woolrich shirts and sweater type jackets, wool wears best, some of these are probably older than many reading this thread.

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Arborwear, if they're still around, was always a good heavy duty brand of cotton work clothes.

I was a cotton believer back in the meth lab days (under your nomex) so if things went boom you didn't get shrink wrapped in your clothing but, after moving to the mountains it's either synthetic or wool, no cotton.

Goodluck!

ThundahBeagle

To be fair, flannel is cotton.

I dont own one but Vermont Flannel is on my list.
For now, my flannels consist of L.L. Bean (including one of the thick chamois types) and Weatherproof Vintage.

You didnt specifically ask about socks but the ONLY socks I buy now are "Darn Tough" from the Cabot Mills in Vermont. Unconditionally Guaranteed for life Marino wool blends. There is one exception in my drawer and that's a Smartwool pair. I liked the colors so my girlfriend bought them for me, so my original statement stands.

I'm just at that place in life where I will pay a little more for fewer, better quality items whenever possible.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I would think Carhart, for cotton.

Just remember: cotton kills

As with anything, "the right tool for the job" makes all the difference.

All the properties of cotton that make it highly inadvisable in cool or cold conditions make it very well suited for hot/dry weather.

Anyone know of any durable/hard-wearing cotton outerwear brands? People were getting out there before synthetics. Any of the old labels--or new--still making the good stuff? Thanks for any help!

The other alternative-to-synthetic that people continually overlook is wool. When Hillary did Everest, it was wearing wool trousers.

While expensive, my wool clothing is vastly superior to any synthetic alternative I've tried - especially for base and intermediate layers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle