"Cowboy" canvas bed roll? Good, better, best?

Sid Post

Observer
Big Sky single layer
Colorado tent with triple top canvas
Davis Tents sleeping bag cover
Davis Tents triple top layer bed roll

I am looking for a "Cowboy-style" bed roll to camp in while surf fishing and similar stuff when I don't want a full tent or have space for my off-road travel trailer. Basically, fast setup, fewer issues with windy setup locations, and something that travels well in my pickup to use when a Hammock isn't an option.

Prices are all over the place and the options included are numerous so, picking one to buy online isn't easy!!! It looks like the first major decision point is whether to get basically a bag or cover, or a large ~17 foot canvas sheet that folds over itself to provide a top layer of 3 layers of canvas for warmth and weather rejection with some snaps down the center.

With a sleeping bag, I tend to think the folded tarp option would be a pain to get into and out of compared to the "bag/cover" option. Then there is the issue of rolling things up with the sleeping pad and bag or blanket inside.
Any reason to get a ~10oz canvas version instead of the ~15oz version? And, what am I missing in one that is ~$140 versus one that is $200+?

TIA,
Sid

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
FWIW.
I've probably got a couple hundred nights in a bedroll, from sleeping in the bed of my truck in Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico to sleeping on the ground or on a cot in Missouri, Iowa, Colorado and Utah. They work great for what they are which is to give you a solid system to keep your bedding together and clean and provide a level of warmth and weather protection. What they aren't is light weight, compact, some ground protection and don't magically give you additionally padding or comfort on the hard, cold ground.

The canvas matters. The thicker the better and adds to bulk and weight. Treated or untreated. Treated is heavier and is nice if you anticipate some moisture whether ground or rain. But, all that sand from the beach will stick to it, particularly if it gets warm from the sun and now you have sand in your bedding. Treated can also reduce breathability so moisture can get trapped in and by the morning it can be cold and clammy. Also, I tend to sleep warm so I'll end up sticking my legs out between the sleeping bag/blankets and bedding and the bedroll. Treated canvas can feel rigid, cold and clammy at 2am. Untreated can feel like another layer of bedding. (Unless your sleeping in your clothes then it really doesn't matter)

Untreated can be a little more flexible, things don't stick to it and will still keep the morning dew and very slight moisture off your bedding while being more breathable but, it's heavy cotton canvas and get it wet and it'll take some time and a lot of sun to dry it out (think about getting your cotton jeans wet and how long they take to dry out).

Also, no matter which way you go get a quality mat (foam, inflatable, etc...) to put inside because there is nothing magical about heavy canvas on the ground....the ground will always win. (note: Sleeping on sand can be comfortable with a bedroll and no mat/pad due to the nature of soft sand conforming to you body but sand can be really cold and damp in the morning depending how far from the water you are. Desert sand is a little different, not so much damp but can be very cold in the morning)

Final experience.....Yes. Bugs, cockroaches, spiders, ticks, flying things and unknown what to call them things will cuddle with you when sleeping on the ground, outside a tent, in a bedroll. Not a lot and not every time, just the nature of sleeping on the ground. If living in the dirt for a couple of days make sure to shake out your bedding/bedroll as your packing up since a tick can live in your bedding for a long time. FWIW I've never had a scorpion or snake cuddle with me or in my boots but, I suspect it's only a matter time. Sweet dreams.

Goodluck and enjoy!

Last edited:

Sid Post

Observer
FWIW.
I've probably got a couple hundred nights in a bedroll, from sleeping in the bed of my truck in Oklahoma, Texas and New Mexico to sleeping on the ground or on a cot in Missouri, Iowa, Colorado and Utah. They work great for what they are which is to give you a solid system to keep your bedding together and clean and provide a level of warmth and weather protection. What they aren't is light weight, compact, some ground protection and don't magically give you additionally padding or comfort on the hard, cold ground.

The canvas matters. The thicker the better and adds to bulk and weight. Treated or untreated. Treated is heavier and is nice if you anticipate some moisture whether ground or rain. But, all that sand from the beach will stick to it, particularly if it gets warm from the sun and now you have sand in your bedding. Treated can also reduce breathability so moisture can get trapped in and by the morning it can be cold and clammy. Also, I tend to sleep warm so I'll end up sticking my legs out between the sleeping bag/blankets and bedding and the bedroll. Treated canvas can feel rigid, cold and clammy at 2am. Untreated can feel like another layer of bedding. (Unless your sleeping in your clothes then it really doesn't matter)

Untreated can be a little more flexible, things don't stick to it and will still keep the morning dew and very slight moisture off your bedding while being more breathable but, it's heavy cotton canvas and get it wet and it'll take some time and a lot of sun to dry it out (think about getting your cotton jeans wet and how long they take to dry out).

Also, no matter which way you go get a quality mat (foam, inflatable, etc...) to put inside because there is nothing magical about heavy canvas on the ground....the ground will always win. (note: Sleeping on sand can be comfortable with a bedroll and no mat/pad due to the nature of soft sand conforming to you body but sand can be really cold and damp in the morning depending how far from the water you are. Desert sand is a little different, not so much damp but can be very cold in the morning)

Final experience.....Yes. Bugs, cockroaches, spiders, ticks, flying things and unknown what to call them things will cuddle with you when sleeping on the ground, outside a tent, in a bedroll. Not a lot and not every time, just the nature of sleeping on the ground. If living in the dirt for a couple of days make sure to shake out your bedding/bedroll as your packing up since a tick can live in your bedding for a long time. FWIW I've never had a scorpion or snake cuddle with me or in my boots but, I suspect it's only a matter time. Sweet dreams.

Goodluck and enjoy!

I'm definitely thinking waxed canvas is a HARD NO. Getting the sand out of it would be a nightmare. Then there is the issue of moisture build-up. Heavier canvas versus lighter waxed canvas is the basic 'trade' I see for general usage.

I am also thinking I should probably buy a good blanket to go with it for most nights. That way I can regulate my warmth needs pretty easily. And, I will generally sleep in my "street" clothes so I am ready to roll (or fight) if I am hassled by drunks or some homeless person from the boonies.

I am a big believer in a ground barrier too for many reasons. My last trip to Galveston Surf fishing was pretty unpleasant on the sand as it was too firm for my back after multiple rear-end collisions on public roads with people in a hurry.

Regarding critters, that has generally only been a problem for me in National Parks but, as you noted it is only a matter of time and travel before I encounter a sleep "buddy" that is hard on my blood pressure! 🤬🤣🤬

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I'm definitely thinking waxed canvas is a HARD NO. Getting the sand out of it would be a nightmare. Then there is the issue of moisture build-up. Heavier canvas versus lighter waxed canvas is the basic 'trade' I see for general usage.

I am also thinking I should probably buy a good blanket to go with it for most nights. That way I can regulate my warmth needs pretty easily. And, I will generally sleep in my "street" clothes so I am ready to roll (or fight) if I am hassled by drunks or some homeless person from the boonies.

I am a big believer in a ground barrier too for many reasons. My last trip to Galveston Surf fishing was pretty unpleasant on the sand as it was too firm for my back after multiple rear-end collisions on public roads with people in a hurry.

Regarding critters, that has generally only been a problem for me in National Parks but, as you noted it is only a matter of time and travel before I encounter a sleep "buddy" that is hard on my blood pressure! 🤬🤣🤬
There is a ton of videos on youtube on how to loadout a bedroll for the environment you plan to be in. You will need some type of insulating blanket since heavy canvas by itself is not particularly warm. Depending on where and what the temp is where I'm going I'll have a base blanket, cotton/synthetic sheet and then a blanket. The base blanket helps insulate from the ground. The bedsheet makes it comfy between the wool blankets and the top blanket is for warmth.
I was just in Moab camping for a week but due to the season I also added mid range sleeping bag in the bedroll for the chilly nights. Worked great.

A ground barrier/footprint is a excellent addition and will help save the bedroll from getting too dirty or wet.

An additional benefit to a bedroll and probably one of the most uses I've gotten out of mine was when I attended training, providing instruction, operations, etc in not so pleasant locations and/or had to stay in military barracks, cheap hotels, government/school dorms, someones spare bedroom, office floor, rental car, etc....I would lay my bedroll out on the bunk and have my own bedding and pillow versus sleeping where hundreds before me had slept. Always made for a nice sleep.

Cheers.

Sid Post

Observer
There is a ton of videos on youtube on how to loadout a bedroll for the environment you plan to be in. You will need some type of insulating blanket since heavy canvas by itself is not particularly warm. Depending on where and what the temp is where I'm going I'll have a base blanket, cotton/synthetic sheet and then a blanket. The base blanket helps insulate from the ground. The bedsheet makes it comfy between the wool blankets and the top blanket is for warmth.
I was just in Moab camping for a week but due to the season I also added mid range sleeping bag in the bedroll for the chilly nights. Worked great.

A ground barrier/footprint is a excellent addition and will help save the bedroll from getting too dirty or wet.

An additional benefit to a bedroll and probably one of the most uses I've gotten out of mine was when I attended training, providing instruction, operations, etc in not so pleasant locations and/or had to stay in military barracks, cheap hotels, government/school dorms, someones spare bedroom, office floor, rental car, etc....I would lay my bedroll out on the bunk and have my own bedding and pillow versus sleeping where hundreds before me had slept. Always made for a nice sleep.

Cheers.

Great post THANKS!

There are a lot of choices online. We found an option where two single rolls can be zipped together as a double wide roll. Very versatile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger

Members online