Coyote; aka my 96 D1 5 speed build thread

fishEH

Explorer
Ray, if you only knew how many Disco's have a dent on the rear passenger door!! Haha, it's like a magnet, I swear!

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray, if you only knew how many Disco's have a dent on the rear passenger door!! Haha, it's like a magnet, I swear!

I seemed to do more damage to my passenger side fenders...for whatever reason I always find myself pinning those up against trees in precarious positions.

Ray_G

Explorer
Pre-Labor Day annual trip (Part 1)

Mostly just pics of me and the girls doing our 3rd annual trip up to the Cove to do some camping before they go back to school.

Illustrating the best use for a roof rack:
Cove Aug 2013 annual trip.jpg
Back to our favorite campsite. A little bit larger footprint than the VOT stuff...will comment on the REI Bug Hut in part II...
Cove Aug 13 Camp ii site 34.jpg
Another good use for the roof rack...gathering kindling near the camp (usually picked rather clean given the throughput)
Kindling via roofrack.jpg
Which led to this
Fire starter_Cove Aug 2013.jpg
My eldest enjoys shooting so we broke out some long guns
Long guns_Cove_Aug12.jpg
She shot the RRA for the first time...despite me pointing out it was only a little larger than a .22 it was still a lot for an 11yr old to handle in the standing
O w_M4.jpg
The beauty of it all came out as I told her to start going longer with the 10-22 after shooting groups on paper-she was concerned that the steel was too far out for her to hit-she soon realized a decent set of irons makes that a cinch and was thoroughly enjoying the audible feedback derived from plinking away on them.
O_on steel.jpg
She took a few fool shots of me on the G19...including the 'action' shot of me pointing out the mag drop had actually landed vertical.
Glock_Cove_Aug13.jpgMag drop.jpg
More to follow in the 2nd part of the trip.

Ray_G

Explorer
Pre-Labor Day annual trip (Part II)

Good times were had throughout, even when the 0400 thunderstorm hit-sending me fleeing from the bug hut (which had the awning over it by that point, but with rain coming in at an angle that was not sufficient).

Kids were relatively undeterred that morning, even at 0600 at the McDonalds (felt like driving over to Winchester vice sitting in the tent looking at each other)
McDonalds Monsoon.jpg
Return to camp, having checked the weather (likely rain for the rest of the morning at least), prompted the group decision to pack up in the rain.
Packing in the rain.jpg
Swooped by the office, talked to the owner on the way out-truck's load out worked well even in the inclement weather after a deliberate packout of dry stuff inside, wet stuff on the rack either in the bag or the pelis.
Departing in the rain.jpg
Kiddos crashed out for the most part
Sleeping it off.jpgIzzy_Ipad.jpg
But the night before scenes like this made it all worth it and I'm looking forward to next year already. Not to prep for the Conclave!
Sunset over WVa Aug 2013.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Some shots of my recent move of the fridge to the back. Including the crafting of a tilt for the slide as well as a cage to both protect and allow things to be stored on top.
sy7asyme.jpg
jygapyry.jpg
ty4u6yze.jpg
yvyde8y3.jpg

Loaded out for Conclave:
nareqaba.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
A few more shots from the weekend. Didn't wheel much for a variety of reasons but still had a great time.
ynatu4a2.jpg

3ugu5e9u.jpg

Some time over in WVa
y5a4upy3.jpg

y3a7y3a3.jpg

Including some looks at trails/bridges coming soon
4y8e4abu.jpg

9edyqy7u.jpg

More to follow...

Ray_G

Explorer
Played a little to figure out where I will need to trim
uzapa2uz.jpg

etysu3u4.jpg

5u8ujajy.jpg

Another bridge
du8umusy.jpg

And a soggy night back in camp, but still quite fun
baty6y7e.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Fall has been busy with work, so upgrades have waned for the most part and wheeling is infrequent. Some shots from Columbus Day's trip to WVa-nasty weather but still fun:
In the cloud.jpgIn the cloud 2.jpg

This RRC is a long story...best over beers, but nonetheless is still in motion:
Long story.jpg
Quite fun, although when it's raining you find quickly that being able to see becomes a challenge.
Quite amsuing.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Rear shocks

The one thing that I knew I needed to deal with in the near term was to match up rear suspension with the front. I'd been running 7100's on the front since before VOT, but had just been running old OME nitrochargers on the back. Over the past few months I'd messed around with a few options:
7100s.jpg
Some old 7100's that need a rebuild...and I have more ability to spend than time to spend, particularly finding someone to charge them with nitrogen.
Ranchos.jpg
(Cheap) Rancho 9000's...note they make the truck bounce like a pogo stick no matter what setting you have them on. Those lasted 20min + one test drive

Finally settled on 11" Fox's valved 85/95, many thanks to L8 for fast service:
Fox 2.0s.jpg
They won't stay this shiny for long, but do look nice. Ride quality is superb.
Fox 2.2_2.jpg

Truck has sailed past 120k...plan looking ahead for the winter is pretty light. Waiting on Kexby's Disco MOLLE seat covers, doing some upgraded retainers and bump stops in the back-and potentially starting on the my long term 4.6 build.
120k.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
Follow up to the suspension tweaking...changed out bump stops front and rear using advice on the tech section of Dweb (http://www.discoweb.org/bumpstops/index.htm). Went with the daystars listed for the back per the Tech article, went smaller for the front for now since she's raked a little.
Front bumpstop.jpg
Need to clean the underside...

fishEH

Explorer
FWIW you had your Ranchos mounted upside down. The shaft goes UP and the adjustment knob down. That could have been part of your problem. That said, the Fox's are a huge upgrade and one I'm sure you'll be happy with.

Bigplum

Observer
Hi,
Bit random this but,
I just noticed a difference on rear side window trim from my UK disco , on mine both sides are similar ,with provision for either a bin or seats whereas on yours it looks like only a single seat could be fitted on the RHS , the speaker panel is also different
Is that all factory or part of your mods ?

Ray_G

Explorer
Hi,
Bit random this but,
I just noticed a difference on rear side window trim from my UK disco , on mine both sides are similar ,with provision for either a bin or seats whereas on yours it looks like only a single seat could be fitted on the RHS , the speaker panel is also different
Is that all factory or part of your mods ?

The side to side difference is due to the rear a/c setup on the back left. Previous trucks that didn't have that were likely like yours; identical side to side. With the compressor and such along with the ducting it's asymmetric on this one.

Brett-
Good point about the 9000's...but you are also correct on the Fox's; loving them.
R-
Ray

Bigplum

Observer
Ahh , that makes sense, don't think I've ever seen rear air con over here , no doubt it was a rarely ticked option for chilly England

Ray_G

Explorer
Ahh , that makes sense, don't think I've ever seen rear air con over here , no doubt it was a rarely ticked option for chilly England

I bet it's a bit rarer there! Here in the former colonies I have to say I was initially skeptical at the loss of some valuable space but in Va during the summer it does wonders cooling off the cabin in concert with the main ac unit.
R-
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77