crap night with the GX470

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
The lex needed a new battery badly (long time comming). so I ran out tonight to auto zone to grab an optima. well that didn't fit because of the cables being too short. so they pull the factory battery off the shelf for me.

Dropped it in the tray and bam. headlights come on. I looked down and they gave me reverse terminals:Wow1:. I absolutely cannot believe I didn't double check this before I dropped it in. well now I am hosed.

The Nav is dead, barely runs, ABS, CEL, CDL, ect lights are all on. code scanner does not communicate with the ECU to see the codes. I replaced all the fuses I could find that were blown (manager brought them all out for me) They had it towed to the dealer.

Am I missing some fusible link somewhere in the car? to top this all off I am sick and have poison ivy:mad:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
If they handed you the wrong battery and said it was the right part number and then it did this I would have let them have it...

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
yeah I pretty much did. worst part is that I didn't even hook it up. the cables hit the terminals and pooched everything. I hope I am just missing fuses.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I think they should eat the cost of repairs.

You asked for a battery for YOUR truck and THEY sold you the WRONG battery with a smile... leading to the sparks. Not cool.

LTFJC

Observer
I would definitely be talking to the service manager if they try to charge you, this is their mess up they should take care of you.

Tucan viajero

Adventurer
Dropped it in the tray and bam. I absolutely cannot believe I didn't double check this before I dropped it in.

If they handed you the wrong battery and said it was the right part number and then it did this I would have let them have it...

I think they should eat the cost of repairs.
You asked for a battery for YOUR truck and THEY sold you the WRONG battery with a smile... leading to the sparks.

I would definitely be talking to the service manager if they try to charge you, this is their mess up they should take care of you.

I’m very sorry for your mishap. In my experience, Toyota's ECUs are very tough, so let’s hope yours has been able to take it, and that repairs will not entail too much work or $$$.

I’d like to apologize before hand for not agreeing with those who think the shop or store is responsible for this accident.

In my opinion, and please note that I live in another part of the world, the shop would only be responsible if they had installed the battery. If this had happened to me, I wouldn’t dare to evade my responsibility in this issue. I think it has to with the way we see things, and the fact that we are educated to deal with the consequences of our own acts. Fatality is quite to our culture's liking.

I would, however, accept any cooperation from the shop, if they volunteered to help with the expenses in recognition to their mistake.

Anyway, as I said before, I live in an entirely different part of the world and maybe the way we see these things are as different as big is the distance between us.

I’m just saying this to let you know that if you ever happen to be “overlanding” down here, and you run into this type of problem, you shouldn’t expect the shop to bear any expense, unless they install the battery, or whatever the problem part is, themselves, or they offer their help voluntarily.

:beer: Cheers :beer:

Last edited:

4runnerteq

Explorer
you prolly still got some blown fuses. some of those funky links are kinda hard to check. work at a toyota dealer. you would be surprised how many times we see that happen. wrong battery or jumped backwards. just on a funny youd also be surprised how many prius towed in that are just out of gas.hope you get it worked out.

RSB

Adventurer
I did the same thing once after cleaning the engine compartment, only it was my fault. :eek: Check your alternator, EFI and ABS fuses. Disconnect the battery to clear the memory, reconnect and try to restart the engine. If it starts, test to see if the acceleration pedal works without having to floor-it. If it does, turn-off the engine and restart after a few minutes. Does it still work without needing to disconnect and reconnect the battery? If it doesn't, your ECM likely needs to be replaced. That's what I had to do. :(

Last edited:

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
well currently the 140A fusible link is blown. according to the wiring diag it feeds ECU1 and ECU2.

The truck does start, but Nav/HVAC are dead, throttle barely responds. I am hoping that the 140A fuse is feeding the HVAC NAV systems too. (reading from 4runner wiring diagram) so i have my fingers crossed on this one. hopefully I will know tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal