cross country gas storage?

eejohnson

Hi Folks,
I am taking the family cross country this summer (Virginia to Oregon and back) in a Mazda Tribute. The gas tank/mileage is not that great and we will be in some remote places, so I would like to have extra gas tanks. I was thinking jerry cans on a hitch rack, but I had a couple of questions.

1) How is the best way to handle temperature and altitude changes? I was thinking under filling and venting every once and a while; is there a better way?

2) At the risk of starting an "I hate CARB" discussion, are there any new gas cans that are as good as the old ones? The nozzles aren't a big deal to me (make new/use syphon) but I want something strong and leak-proof.

Thanks,
EJ

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
How remote is remote in America...I think at any given time you are 50 miles from a fuel station.:sombrero: You can always just strap it to the top. You can always carry an empty can with you and fill it up when you are headed remote.

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
Use Blitz metal cans. The “Carb” spouts leak all the time.
This is what most guys do, remove all the plastic parts from the cans and use the metal cap only. Use a “Super Siphon” to get the gas from the cans into your fuel tank.

Blitz metal cans
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...89-7743096-2307808?ie=UTF8&index=0&isremote=0

http://www.google.com/search?q=blit...Gl5byEAw&sqi=2&ved=0CLkBEK0E&biw=1400&bih=919

Super Siphon
http://www.google.com/search?q=supe...Gzk4mfAw&sqi=2&ved=0CMMBEK0E&biw=1400&bih=919

eejohnson

Scootr29: Yah, but is it 50 miles in the direction I'm heading?:smiley_drive:

Most of the trip will be on interstates, so no problem (the cans will be empty). However, we will be spending a lot of time in Utah and Nevada on the way out and Idaho and South Dakota on the way back that I don't know how often there will be gas. I'm an old Boy Scout, I like to be prepared. I will have tools, water, spare oil, etc... as well.

Bigvan: Thanks, that’s about what I was thinking, but I didn’t know if there was a better way.
Also, I would have loved to use a few of the old NATO 10L size cans instead. I think I could lift the tailgate over that size. I don’t think anyone makes a metal 10L that is CARB rated.

Any thought on the altitude/temperature changes? I don’t want to implode or explode the cans. How much can the Blitz tanks take?

Honu

lost on the mainland
PLANNING ;) one thing common here is every one usually plans the trips including how much water fuel etc.. I try to know when where I can get fuel water so I know how much to pack along
check your route on google maps and stations maybe :)

only cans I have ever had that did not smell and leak fuel are the scepter cans they have gone from extreme heat and elevations and not stink or leak
going from low to high temps here in AZ and up to about 7500 feet no leaks ever
you can get 10L scepter fuel tanks but you have to import them from Canada I imagine if they still do that ? or find them on ebay etc..

I have not used the blitz cans !

the other cans I have heard very good things about rotopax http://www.rotopax.com and I would say look into these !!! I have heard excellent no leak stories even on roof racks going over 10,000 feet and heat no leaks !
the other nice thing nice low profile designs etc.. this would be my recommendation ;)

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
[FONT=&quot]I take mine, (3 Cans on the rear bumper rack) from about 6,800ft down to about 125ft and back all the time with no problems, I even had them on the back when I drove to the top of Pikes Peak with no problems. You should open them slow at first, they will sound like opening a carbonated drink.
[/FONT]:smiley_drive:[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Vegas_Nick

Adventurer
5736979739_2a9fb65edc_z.jpg

This is the setup I built for my FJ. A 12 gallon Moeller Topside tank and a Holley Marine grade pump. I was powering the pump with a "battery in a bag" setup, but I have since ran a aux power plug to the roof rack. When I am done with the trip, I pump any remaining gas into the truck and put this setup back on the shelf. I keep 4ft of hose in a double ziplock bag that I just connect to the pump valve and put the other end in the tank filler. When done, simply coil the hose back up, reseal and move on. No fumes in the truck, etc. The tank, being for marine use has a vent and flame arrestor as well.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I carry non-carb compliant NATO/Jerry gas cans both in the rig and on the roof rack. Never been stopped by a cop for them fortunately (knock on wood).

These days however, I've added a Baja Rack dual can carrier to my storage/bed platform in back of my Montero. Works fine at keeping the cans secure and out of site.

I hope to NEVER use a blitz can for gas storage again since they leak fumes too easily unless you carry something to give you enough mechanical leverage to close the screw down caps properly.

I agree if you do use them, then switch to a super siphon instead of their regular pour spout.

NetDep

Adventurer
Take a look at Rotopax. I really like them and the mounting options are really quite varied.

http://www.rotopax.com/

Several folks, including myself, use them inside the bed bed of a pickup - one day I will get a roof rack and they will go up there but for now they are fine!!

Best of luck and good travels!!

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 16

eejohnson

Let’s see if I can answer every one:

Planning: I am planning it out with Streets and Trips, but I have not gotten down to the level of detail to include gas stops (yet). I've got the tourist stops and the hotels mapped out, but I am still working on the fine points.

Scepter cans: I don't think you can get the military style cans shipped to the USA anymore. Please let me know if I am wrong, the 10L ones do look perfect.

Rotopax: Those look pretty good. I could get a 4 gallon unit between the roof rails and have a simpler version of Vegas_Nick’s great set up (without the benefit of the venting).
Does anyone know how well the Rotopax hold up under elevation changes? I thought I had read a review that said they held up, but had swelled up dramatically.

Blitz: We have one person saying that they are great and one person saying that they leaked. Is this a Ford vs Chevy thing? Or is there a different use (just the metal parts) or age of the cans (new vs old) etc...

Honu

lost on the mainland
Some of the guys on the fj forum use rotopax one guy posted he had them over 10,000 feet from sea level no issues and from freezing to over 100 no issues

Honu

lost on the mainland
The blitz cans are more like people saying their $100 family tent is just as good as a high end tent :)
They can wish but when it comes to the limits they fall short IMHO

Last edited:

1Stumpjumper

For the Scepter cans, try your local Army surplus store. I just picked up two more for $25 ea. There were three other stores in the area that had them for the same price. You can grab some Scepter water cans too. Check the gaskets though.

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
You probably won’t be able to find any Scepter fuel cans at any surplus stores but some guy in Florida claims to still have the cans and all the cap parts for sale. (He wants top dollar though….) If I can find his link I’ll post it for you.
Otherwise try searching the forum for some for sale.

The water cans on the other hand are easy to find.
By the way, for the Blitz metal cans, use the proper gasoline rubber gasket from military cans, NOT the o-ring that comes from Blitz and you will not have any problem with leaks.
:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3